Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Agreed, my mind was made up in favor of the OEM clutch parts, but _only_ because I know what they can achieve. I've only seem "claims" of "better" aftermarket parts in this regard. I know in the case(s) of many other parts choices the claims are inflated or patently false. Although some are comperable for the price difference. ;)

Please _show_ me the light. ;)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
309 Posts
I realize this is a 14 year old thread, but I thought I'd add to it with some semi-relevant info:

I'm casually shopping for a replacement clutch for my Insight, and Gripforce brand came up. I checked with the BBB and they have a rating of "F" with a handful of responses listed from people who wrote in. Worth checking out if your considering Gripforce as a parts supplier.

A non-Insight clutch story: My F150 that I bought new and was the sole driver of got a new clutch assy installed at Pepboys. The truck had hauled several loads to the dump from a major home remodeling project with some clutch abuse involved and had lasted 120k miles. The new aftermarket clutch went out in less than 20k miles. Same truck, same driver, no abuse..just normal driving on paved roads. Pepboys honored their warranty and replaced the clutch again, but this time I went to Ford and bought an OEM clutch disc for them to install. I ended up selling the truck before the clutch had to be replaced again, but from my experience with aftermarket friction materials, I've become leary of "quality" aftermarket manufacturers.

My timing belts are only "Gates" brand as a failure there can be catastrophic (e.g. interference engines). In non-critical areas I've used plenty of aftermarket parts with good success. I guess you just have to ask yourself how much your time is worth to R/R the clutch assy if it prematurely fails.

I'm not saying you should buy an Exedy brand clutch...just advising to shop wisely.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
^ Good to know. I agree that some parts are fine to replace with aftermarket, but others don't fair so well. Clutches may be one of those.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts