Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a fair amount of reading up on the problem, but any additional feedback would be welcome. I get a bit of shudder on take off from a stop every once in a while. Sometimes it has been pretty bad, violently shaking the car. Other times it's just barely felt. Obviously correlates with how fast I am trying to get moving. Reverse also feels kind of clunky to try to use, especially if putting it fully into gear. This seems like a common theme as it was nearly identical to the second Insight that I drove over winter. It works fine to use to move the car out of a parking space, but does not like to be fully engaged.

I just replaced the rear engine mount with a new OEM Honda one. This seemed to make a small difference, but did not eliminate the issue. The old mount was not in terrible shape compared to many I have seen. Still fully held together with a single small crack forming. Would it be beneficial to replace the other two engine mounts for this issue?

The other problems I have heard of are small amounts of oil on the clutch surface causing this "slipping" type feeling. I've got 170k miles on the car, and I believe it's the original clutch. I'd consider replacing it, but would rather not unless I need to.

Has anyone had success fully resolving this type of issue, or is it just something we live with?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
You have eliminated the engine mount as have I.

I have the same problem, some days (damp cold) it is a lot worse than others.
Likely to be damp/oil on clutch surfaces or clutch plate issue.
I live with it..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
some clutches just chatter and there is little you can do about it.

i'd say the engine mount probably helped create it, but now that it is a part of the clutch, it is there to stay.

resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the clutch is about the only way to start fresh.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will replacing the other engine mounts have any affect on this shudder? I wouldn't think so since it's in a different axis, but the little things all add up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same issue a while back. My rear mount looked very good, so i left it alone and replaced the other two and the shudder went away. Of the two i replaced, they did look cracked and worn but not totally broken.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
....replaced the other two and the shudder went away.
Did you notice reduction in any other, general 'slop'? I've been wondering for a while if I should replace my side motor mounts. Launches from dead stop are just 'sloppy'. I replaced the rear mount a while back...

·
Linsight Designer
1,899 Posts
I've recently started experiencing this on G1#1. Engine mounts are in great shape, so I've been assuming the clutch is worn out. It probably doesn't help that the driveway I park on hits 25% grade during a 110 degree turn.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
My clutch is a little worn, too. I drove a friend's Insight with a new clutch, and in comparison, mine had a slower, sloppier engagement. His was crisper, tighter, quicker... So slightly worn clutch + failing side motor mounts probably = slop...

I was wondering if there's some refurb procedure that can be done, like sanding/scotch-brighting the clutch friction disk plate thing? Or maybe once you've taken the clutch out you might as well replace the whole thing... Never done a clutch job...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I only had the shudder when launching from a dead stop and reversing. It was pretty bad and felt like the engine was going to fall out. But no problems with other gears when already in motion.

....replaced the other two and the shudder went away.
Did you notice reduction in any other, general 'slop'? I've been wondering for a while if I should replace my side motor mounts. Launches from dead stop are just 'sloppy'. I replaced the rear mount a while back...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I guess my 'slop' is mostly on launch, too, not in other gears... It just takes a little too much effort to get going smoothly. Maybe another circumstance of this 'slop' is at really low RPM, when the engine is on the verge of lug territory; the engine will start shaking a lot, kind of like a paint mixer... I've wondered whether that is normal or if worn motor mounts make the shaking worse than it needs to be...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Does riding the clutch smooth out the the transition? I don't think it's necessarily related, but do you get 2nd gear grind?

I don't have 2nd gear grind on my 210k, which makes me wonder if it's already had the clocking tab treatment. But I do need to ride the clutch just a little bit for a completely smooth launch.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I think you mean "slipping" the clutch; "riding" the clutch is when you're cruising along with your foot resting on the clutch pedal... No 2nd gear grind here, I do need to slip the clutch a little more than I should have to for smoother launch...

·
Registered
850 Posts
If slipping the clutch means the same thing as riding the clutch momentarily as you're releasing it, kind of like partial double clutch, then yes I mean slipping the clutch. Slipping clutch is new term for me...let me google that for myself...

My HCH1 clutch is in pretty great shape, and really no need to slip the clutch for smooth transition compared to the Insight.

Edit: Yep, it's slipping the clutch aka feathering the clutch, which in my mind is identical in concept to momentarily/temporarily riding the clutch.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Cause (usually) of this issue)

Mine is doing the shudder at take off from start as well. It was like that since I bought it (used, 115,000 miles). Slipping the clutch creates "hot spots" on the flywheel, (and pressure plate), therefore areas of harder material and "stock" as the rate of cooling chnges the flywheels "temper" due to cooling at dissimilar rates.

The only to fix it is to R and R the whole shebang, Clutch, assy. or replace all except flywheel and have the flywheel 'resurfaced', if there is enough material available to be able to remove some of it, down to undamaged metal.
Also, always replace rthe Throwout bearing while doing thios. LOts of labor to remove everything again if the T/O bearing wears out before the replacement cluth assy.

The best solution, is a clutch kit. It should contain every needed part except flywheel, usually.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
soft mounts are probably what caused it to develop, so that should be addressed first. but i wouldn't expect the mounts to get rid of the chatter completely. kind of like warped rotors, they won't fix themselves.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Replacing broken or even worn mounts will help

But once the metal parts in the clutch assy are damaged, there's only so much you can reduce the shaking. In SOME cases (admittedly few probably) I'd think new (less flexible) mounts MIGHT increase transmission of the shaking to our car bodies...
(Much like going to solid or urethane motor mounts,or suspension bushings does when swapped onto street cars, rather than track converted cars. Pavment is not as smooth and potholes damaged paving (on streets) hammers suspended things more...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
soft mounts are usually what cause it in the first place, not harder ones. yes harder mounts do transmit more vibrations but the soft mounts easily rocking back and forth are what allow the drivetrain to shudder initially, but the clutch eventually also takes the abuse and generates a 'memory'.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the same issue. I find I can get smoother starts if I pump the accelerator while slipping the clutch. You will need to experiment with it a little to get the hang of it. I think the varying engine speed in some way prevents the shutter or shaking from being able to get going. Give it a try and see if that helps you any.
-Don

·
Banned
405 Posts
Thanks, it does help..

But its also wearing the clutch material..Something I hate doing, as its a LOT of work to put a new one in (and or $) also.
Just finished putting one in my Dodge Cuimmins diesel one last SUmmer. The trans in it, NV4500, weighs about 175lbs! and was a royal pain to get back installed after. Front wheel drive in the car means dropping the engine trans assy, then removing tranny to get to the clutch assy, usually. Haven't done an Insight though, so there may be some shortcut...

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
No need to remove the engine to remove the tranny on an Insight. It's actually pretty easy to drop out.

But I agree. If you're slipping the clutch you should get familiar with the process. You'll be doing it soon. Better to learn to drive it without slipping the clutch.

Sam

1 - 20 of 39 Posts