Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Thanks, Sam.

ANyone posted a video on here for that? Thats good news not having to drop both, (especially since I don't have a lift, (yet;)...
On my "bucket list though...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i'd be surprised if the insight tranny weighs over 50lbs, probably even less than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same shuddering problems in mine. Right now it is manageable but this may be necessary in the future.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have this same problem and from what I understand, it's the transmission mount, so you were on the right track with the motor mount, but the tranny mount is what usually fixes that on this car.

I haven't done it yet (it's on my list), but it makes complete sense to me, so it'll be the first thing I try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interestingly, I've had 2 Insights now with this (obviously very common) issue. On the first one, I replaced the ISB and clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, and replaced all 3 motor mounts. The problem was completely eliminated. On my current Insight, I did exactly the same thing except I only replaced the rear transmission mount. The problem was greatly reduced, but not eliminated. I think the lesson here, at least for me, is that replacing all 3 is probably the ticket. I'll follow up once I get around to replacing the side mounts (and save up some money).

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
The tranny is around 30 kg or 66 lbs.

I had shudder on mine too. First I've replaced the rear engine mount which didn't help much. In the next step, I've replaced the clutch which cured it finally and completely. The friction material was bad/old. No oil on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
One thing that makes these cars so shudder sensitive is the high first gear. Honda basically used a civic transmission with a high final drive so the individual gears are not at optimum ratio wish 1st gear was lower the other gears are good for the hybrid but first is just way too high.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Resurrecting here some months later.

I've been experiencing some shudder when starting off in first or reversing since I got my G1 2 years ago/60k miles ago (currently 119k).

I just had the car in for service at a local shop and I was told the transmission mount (driver's side) has cracked and will need to be replaced. All other mounts have been confirmed to be in good condition.

I do not know how old my clutch is (potentially original), but it functions great and has lots of grip. I do not slip it unless I absolutely have to.

I'll be ordering a replacement soon and will report back on whether this fixes the shudder issue. Not sure if I can swap it out this mount by myself.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Honda DOES NOT RECOMEND resurfacing the flywheel

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interestingly, my slip only occurs when the transmission is cold/cool. After the first few stop lights, the 1st gear slip/chatter/thuds disappear. I'm thinking this may be indicative of clutch disc &/or flywheel issue rather than a mount in this case.

Not looking forward to the the cost of replacement, so definitely going to ride it out for a while. I think the previous owner of this, my third insight, may have abused the clutch via poor technique. Looked at parts on rockauto and didn't even find the flywheel. Saw a clutch kit for $200.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Honda DOES NOT RECOMEND resurfacing the flywheel
klr3cyl, probably best Insight mechanic in the country, does it all the time. Might want to ask him how much machining is acceptable. There must be a limit, especially since Honda says not to do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Yes we have them machined all the time. Probably done more than 50. Never had a problem with one yet.

The flywheel has a step. When machined, it gets the clutch surface machined, then the surface where the pressure plate mounts and seats so the step remains the same.

When I ship a transmission, I offer a machined flywheel on an exchange basis, almost everyone gets one. Again never a problem reported.

I have never asked the machine shop how much they take off, however now I will.

Scott

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Shudder is much more noticeable in damp cool foggy conditions on first startup and I also associate it with dampness on the clutch surfaces which soon gets dried out in use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Everyone, I've been reading up on these Clutch threads. I have 220k on my clutch. I have been noticing two things. 1) The studder coming off of 1st gear from a stop. 2) The engagement point of the clutch "catching" is increasing in height, meaning the clutch pedal engages maybe 1-2 inches (not accurate measurement) from being completely released.
1) Regarding studder, the way I remedy this is by revving the engine at a higher rpm and releasing the clutch pedal "cautiously" to prevent the studder... which is super annoying.
2) I understand from reading the forums, that the clutch release point on these insights are set higher than normal.

My questions are in regards to 1) Studder, do you guys just live with it? How many miles of studder do you guys keep going until you install a new clutch kit? 2) Clutch cathing high: will the clutch just keep slowing increase it's catch point til it no longer catches? On flat roads I could see it being fine, but on a step hill going into first gear, when you really need those "revs" and the clutch to "catch" more aggressively, I could see being a big problem.

I'm leaning towards getting my clutch kit installed, but just wondered what your experiences were, and have you now replaced it, or is everyone stubbornly rocking the 1st gear studder and/or high catch point?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
I eventually put a complete new OEM clutch kit in mine.
Friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing, etc

Difference is night and day. Smooth take up no juddering, much lighter pedal etc

The pressure plate deteriorates with age as well as the friction plate wearing out.

If your gearbox ISB or synchro is any way dodgy/noisy suspect then do that at the same time.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
Recently put a new clutch kit in mine at 225,000 miles; the old one was the factory original, and was completely worn out; I also replaced the rear engine mount, which was shredded, and clutch feel was much improved/shudder was almost completely eliminated. I also had the flywheel resurfaced; Honda says not to, but the cynic in me says this is because they want to sell you a new flywheel instead. Either way, it was peace of mind and works absolutely fine.

Previously, reversing uphill into my driveway I was seriously worried I was going to break something, it felt like the drivetrain was going jump out of the car.

I still have a very little shudder when reversing, I suspect this is due to the two remaining original motor mounts, which are worn but not falling apart yet. It's definitely something I can live with for now.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
IIRR the shuddering is mainly caused by the gear ratio.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have these problems and just yesterday I had a free hour so I removed and inspected the side mounts. I'd replaced the rear/center mount with OEM a few weeks ago....it was completely torn...like others this helped but didn't fix the problem. Car has 139k. Anyhow the goal was inspect the two side mounts and go from there. I was surprised to find the side mounts were in great shape...a very small crack developing but only on the surface. So I put it back in rather than replace.

That said I'm convinced the issue is work clutch/flywheel assembly and the only fix is focusing on that, which I'll not be doing. It's easy enough and not a real issue as long as I don't try to reverse up a hill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Appreciate the responses. I took a look at my motor mounts, all in good shape. I did however also take a look at the Clutch Fluid reservoir in the engine bay. It was at the MIN level, so I added a little bit more to reach the MAX level. I then drove for the next couple days. Initially, I thought the 1st gear studder was improved as a "placebo" effect... like it was all in my head, and I'm just being more careful on take off from 1st gear. However, it's been a good amount of take offs from stop into 1st gear with reduced studder. I would say like a 5-10% improvement, enough to delay me switching out the clutch just yet. Just a quick pointer to those who haven't checked their fluid level yet. I know there was mention about changing/bleeding the fluid. I'll probably do that next before I decide if a clutch replacement is needed. Thanks guys.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts