Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am creating this thread for posterity in case this information becomes necessary one day.

The slave cylinder is a component that one day might become difficult to find because it is used only on insight.

So I tried to find a way to fix it using parts used on a lot of other cars.
The cylinder inside is the same as that used on the Civic 1992-2000, del sol 1993-1997, crv 1998-2001, acura integra 1994-2001 and acura el 1999-2000.
just for info a slave cylinder for civic 2000 cost only some peanut compare to the one for insight

In this photo we see a Civic 2000 cylinder above my 2006 insight cylinder
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper Auto part

First you have to remove the rubber end
Automotive tire Wood Font Gas Auto part

Second, push air into the port where the oil pipe is connected, which will cause the piston to pop out.
Font Gas Wood Auto part Musical instrument

In my case there were chunks of loose rust wandering around and which probably contributed to my oil leak problem. So clean the interior of the cylinder.

We can see on this photo a defect of my seal which is deforming.
Household hardware Wood Finger Thumb Nail

To install the Civic cylinder, it was enough to turn the cylinder slightly with a little brake oil and it went in easily

In my case the attachement or the cylinder is cracked from side to side I'm not sure if I will solder it or throw it.
But if you change this part and you think you will keep your car for a long time, maybe you should keep it in order to make it a spare part.
Automotive tire Grey Wood Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The slave cylinder is a component that one day might become difficult to find because it is used only on insight.

So I tried to find a way to fix it using parts used on a lot of other cars.
The cylinder inside is the same as that used on the Civic 1992-2000, del sol 1993-1997, crv 1998-2001, acura integra 1994-2001 and acura el 1999-2000.
just for info a slave cylinder for civic 2000 cost only some peanut compare to the one for insight
Good find but I can envision the slave cylinders on those cars will be just as difficult to find one day. I've probably seen Insights out on the road 3-4 times a year (not including meets), but it's been years since I've seen a del Sol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am not saying that the slave cylinder of the del sol is identical to that of the insight.
what I am saying is that the Civic 1992-2000 and del sol 1993-1997 uses the same slave cylinder Honda pn: 46930-SR3-013 and the moving part inside is the same as the one inside the slave cylinder of the insight gen 1

We can use this part to repair the slave cylinder of an insight. Personally I took my piece in a scrapward and don't know if it was an OEM or Aftermarket cylinder. So I guess we can buy a part for about $ 7 from rockauto and use it for the repair, but I didn't do this test.

I hesitated a bit before doing this post because I guess if everyone starts buying civic parts for their repairs, the few companies that do aftermarket parts for us risk shutting down production sooner.
that's why I recommend buying the real part of insight and keeping the old one as a spare part

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not saying that the slave cylinder of the del sol is identical to that of the insight.
what I am saying is that the Civic 1992-2000 and del sol 1993-1997 uses the same slave cylinder Honda pn: 46930-SR3-013 and the moving part inside is the same as the one inside the slave cylinder of the insight gen 1

We can use this part to repair the slave cylinder of an insight. Personally I took my piece in a scrapward and don't know if it was an OEM or Aftermarket cylinder. So I guess we can buy a part for about $ 7 from rockauto and use it for the repair, but I didn't do this test.

I hesitated a bit before doing this post because I guess if everyone starts buying civic parts for their repairs, the few companies that do aftermarket parts for us risk shutting down production sooner.
that's why I recommend buying the real part of insight and keeping the old one as a spare part
I know what you're saying, I've been doing this myself for years now, since I go through a set of cylinders every 100-150,000 miles. For me, that is basically yearly.

The 2000-2006 Insights use a custom cast slave cylinder, with a standard 3/4" piston bore. What you did is remove the piston and seal from another Honda model's slave cylinder with the same diameter and style piston, then put it in your old slave cylinder casting. It's a valid fix, and it's a whole lot cheaper than paying for actual aftermarket Insight slave cylinders at $50 a pop. For others looking to do this, use late 90's Hondas as your cross reference; I used a 1997 Accord as my part lookup on RockAuto the last time I ordered some, but Preludes and Civics use the same style of piston too. The last ones I ordered where a whopping $6.14 for a Perfection 37889 slave cylinders. Buy it, pop out the piston and seal, trash the new casting, then put the new piston in the cylinder bore of your old casting and you are back to new functionally. It helps to clean up the inside of the casting bore with 400 grit or higher sandpaper, to break any glazing that may be present. Use a 9/16" deep well socket with the sandpaper wrapped around and taped to it to hone out the cylinder bore. Then rinse it out with water or solvent, lube it with brake fluid and insert the spring and new piston with new seals on it. I recommend keeping the OEM Honda spring from the old slave cylinder, since they are made with heavier gauge wire and seem to be better in quality than the ones that come with the new slave cylinders.

One thing that I don't recommend is using any of the old Dorman slave cylinder repair kits, if any are still floating around out there - those things were crap. The piston seal material was incompatible with brake fluid, believe it or not. I had two of them that I used, and never got more than 10,000-15,000 miles out of them before they failed. I actually had to change the last one out on the road when it failed. From the moment that I installed them, the brake fluid would start to turn black, which was a dead giveaway that the seals where deteriorating from the get go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I looked at the picture of the Perfection 37889 slave cylinders and it looks a lot like the one in the insight. Are you sure it can't replace the insight cylinder directly?
Following your suggestion, the next time I need to repair my clutch cylinder I will try this model
thank you

·
Registered
130 Posts
I looked at the picture of the Perfection 37889 slave cylinders and it looks a lot like the one in the insight. Are you sure it can't replace the insight cylinder directly?
Following your suggestion, the next time I need to repair my clutch cylinder I will try this model
thank you
I'm positive. The internal piston and external strut are identical, of course, but the mounting ear offsets are different from the Insight's stock cylinder casting. They're literally on the other side of the cylinder casting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts