Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shifting my Honda's in neutral every chance I get for years and have been able to get nice mileage increases doing this. (i.e. 98 accord 5 spd - 35mpg, 95 accord wagon 5 spd 37 mpg - I still miss that car).

I've searched through many posts here and the way I understand it (from the posts) with the Insight is that when coasting down a hil, or when you have a good amount of inertia built up and are placing the car in neutral, is to lightly depress the gas pedal to keep the assist / charge dead center.

So please correct me if I've got that wrong. My Insight arrives in a few mores days and though I've driven a CVT version (cool!!) mine will be a 5 speed.

The other question I wonder about is that when I coast in the accord I'm pretty much free wheeling and what slows me down eventually is the leveling off of a hill, resistance etc.

Will the IMA add to the resistance?, thereby shortening a coasting distance. It may be one of those things where that is compensated by the Insight's aerodynamics. weight etc. Has anyone compared coasting distances?

I guess I'm just planning on hypermiling from day one...maybe I shouldn't, but the temptation is there :idea:

At least I have a few months to figure out the snow tire thing and what I'm going to do about a second set of winter rims...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Shifting into neutral in any Honda hybrid car takes regenerative braking out of the loop. And _ADDS_ fuel for engine idle vs. fuel cut-off on deceleration.

The techniques for hyper MPG vary by the 6 "T's". See my post here:

43 lifetime MPG on 2000 Insight
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5524

Your MPG gauge will be the guide you need to fine tune the techniques for your specific set of T's. ;)

_Advanced_ modifications and techniques can be of help too if you want to go in that direction e.g. forcing auto stop (manually or by modification):

FAS, it works!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... +auto+stop

and

for Manual IMA control:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5237
(follow the links to continue the discussion if you desire)

Such modifications have many other considerations too. You'd be wise to thoroughly investigate before their application. (I'd start by reading the _entire_ thread(s) and their sub links. ;) )

HTH! :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Waynetc said:
when coasting down a hil, or when you have a good amount of inertia built up and are placing the car in neutral, is to lightly depress the gas pedal to keep the assist / charge dead center.
No.

Shifting to neutral disconnects the wheels from the engine, so there's nothing to make the generator spin.... thus no regenerative charging.

·
Registered
230 Posts
humm I could swear I've had a slight charge when shifting into neutral from 65mph and coasting...I will double check this...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Shifting to neutral disconnects the wheels from the engine, so there's nothing to make the generator spin.... thus no regenerative charging.
Since the IMA motor/generator is on the gasoline engine side of the clutch, I believe the manual Insight will still charge (like 4 bars - if the battery is low enough) even while in neutral but it is not "regenerative braking" at that point.

There are many people that performed the IMA reset and stayed in the driveway (in neutral) to complete the battery SOC.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts