Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently found that coasting is a great way to improve my overall mpg. I know it's a bit of a no-brainer, but I started to realize that there are many parts of my commute that allow for fantastic coasting opportunities. Still, I follow these self imposed rules:

~ Only coast when it's safe
~ Coast only when proper speed can be maintained without slowing to the point of endangering myself or aggrevating other drivers
~ Only coast when my batterey charge is above 2/3rds.
~ Don't coast going down very steep hills

To my surprise I've noticed the mpg while coasting is much better than while my display tells me I'm earning 150mpg, regenerative braking engaged. I guess the lower efficiency effect of regen braking friction should have been obvious to me when I first got the car 6 months ago, but it wasn't !

Since I started using this new tactic I've increased my record mpg -measured by the tankfull - from 60.1 to 61.7, and I'm on track to achieve 63.5 this month !

:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on your new found efficiency!

Just to clarify..."coasting" sometimes means different things to different people :)

You mention getting regenerative braking so I guess you mean simply taking your foot off of the gas and letting the car decelerate naturally?

In this case, yes, you are doing considerably better than the 150 MPG display indicates...like "infinity" MPG! The engine should be in fuel cut mode which would mean that as long as you are moving down the hill, you are covering distance without burning fuel at all. I believe someone mentioned switching to the metric display for a more "accurate" display as it can read down to 0L / 100km which should only occurr in fuel cut mode.

An interesting note - Does the metric display have the same "issue" when the car stops with the engine on? That would seem to equate to infinite L/100km? May have to check that out next time I'm behind the wheel.

Also, I believe the the other form of "coasting" with the transmission in neutral may lead to a faster speed as you don't have engine and transmission drag on the wheels, but will also lead to higher fuel consumption as the engine must continue to burn fuel to stay at idle.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I agree w/ Corey872, you should be clear about what you mean by "coasting." To me it means travelling with engine running and in neutral. Sometimes I can get better overall MPG by doing this rather than by keeping the car in gear, be it with fuel-cut, regen-brake, or normal driving.

Both the instantaneous and average MPG indicators max out at reporting 150mpg, but the computers will continue to correctly calculate infinite mpg (or 0 L/100km) for when the car is moving forward in fuel-cut or regen-brake modes. Conversely, when the car is getting 0 mpg, I find that it reports with a "-" on both displays.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Doesn't the string "is much better than ...regenerative braking engaged" exactly show that the transmission is in neutral? So it is neutral transmission coasting (without brake pedal use)

I remember someone writing that the "neutral coasting" gave a much better MPG average than "light brake pedal pressure regen".
And that an uncovered foot is also better than wearing shoes. As you will be light on the pedal and feel the difference in brake pedal pressure more easily

In the metric system, auto-stop gives infinit gas usage meaning infinite liter / 100 km. Looks bad to me but that is how it is, the display shows more than the max 12 L/100km.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I meant with engine running and in neutral. I find that this type of coasting is even better than regenerative braking, though both add to efficiency. It has to do with friction I guess.

But I can't neutral coast at all times, and if my battery reading gets too low I suffer from "low battery anxiety" ! :cry: :roll:

...because I know this will mean I'll get lower efficiency as my Insight tries to recharge. So I try to balance out the regen braking with the neutral coasting.
If over the months and maybe even years I can improve my driving habits I may get up to 70 mpg !

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Of course, if you compare a stretch of regen-braking or fuel-cut travel it will always have lower MPG than the same distance travelled while coasting. However you'll wind up with a lower final speed due to drag from charging or from the engine, and having to accelerate back up could result in worse MPG.

The best is always moving along while in idle-stop mode. No engine or charging drag, and infinite MPG :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
dmaurer said:
~ Only coast when it's safe
~ Coast only when proper speed can be maintained without slowing to the point of endangering myself or aggrevating other drivers
~ Only coast when my batterey charge is above 2/3rds.
~ Don't coast going down very steep hills

:D
I always coast going down steep hills if nobody is in front of me. Love to coast at 80-90MPH :!: I can go that much further before having to give it gas.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Coasting uses fuel like idling.
easing off the throttle cuts the fuel supply, the trick is to hold the pedal where the instantanous fuel guage shows no fuel is being used AND the battery is not being charged.

The throttle is just as important as the brake in controling the car in collision avoidance situation, like avoiding a deer.
It is highly advice that the car should never be in neutral above crawling speeds. That's exactly why the auto-stop only goes into affect at very low speeds.
I'm a car control school instructor and I race in all weather conditions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Guillermo said:
The throttle is just as important as the brake in controling the car in collision avoidance situation, like avoiding a deer.
It is highly advice that the car should never be in neutral above crawling speeds. That's exactly why the auto-stop only goes into affect at very low speeds.
I'm a car control school instructor and I race in all weather conditions.
I have hit three deer while in gear, none while coasting. Seems like coasting is safer, at least in my experience. I coast all the time at all speeds. What's the difference if you are in gear going 80MPH, or coasting at 80MPH? If a deer runs out in front of you, you are screwed either way, and so is the deer :!: I was doing about 45MPH each deer, and it wouldn't have mattered if I was in gear or coasting, there was nothing I could do. Anyway, my hand is always on the stick, so I can get in gear instantly while coasting.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You have hit 3 deer and you claim you could do nothing about it each time?
How many very near misses have you had (deer on your lane not just standing on the shoulder).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Coasting/deer collision

In a previous company owned work truck (96 Chevy 3/4ton extended cab 4x4), I hit 8 deer and 1 buzzard. One deer jumped off a high ditch bank into the side of the truck on a rural blacktop road while I was running about 20 mph. Another ran into the front of the truck while I was at a stop sign. I have been driving the Insight since April with no hits yet! It is not uncommon for me to see 20 to 30 deer on my 45 mile commute to work. In the evening or early morning, they are the #1 road hazard in Southern Illinois. You get used to it. When I bought the Insight, I insured it with liability and comprehensive. Comp covers deer damage.
So now, I keep one eye on the fcd and one on and around the road. :shock:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Guillermo said:
You have hit 3 deer and you claim you could do nothing about it each time?
How many very near misses have you had (deer on your lane not just standing on the shoulder).
Actually, the deer ran into me. They came from the side, two running into the car at virtually the same spot, the drivers side mirror, the other ran into the passenger side of the front fender. Hard to avoid when they run into you and you don't see them till they hit you :!: Two at dusk, one at dawn, two within a few weeks of each other, just body damage, and I'm still getting 70MPG :D I can't tell you how many near misses. I've lost count :!: We see dead deer nearly every day on the way to or from work. It is scary as hell driving around here when it's dark. Haven't hit any more since I got rid of the deer whistle. I know of one woman who has hit 9 deer :(

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
I think you need to get a deer whistle.
Tim, read the post again. I said I haven't hit any more since I GOT RID of the deer whistle. After I hit the first one, State Farm gave me the whistle, and I proceeded to prove that they are worthless by hitting two more deer.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
DEER whistles? Are they STILL being sold?

bfivelover is absolutely right. Deer whistles are useless and rank right up there (down there?) with ultrasonic plug-in pest controls and dowsing rods as far as real=world effectiveness. In other words... some people swear by them, but honest-to-god empirical research disputes the claims they work. Ever. :lol:

For instance:

"Ultrasonic whistles mounted on vehicle bumpers emit a shrill tone when air passes through them as the vehicle travels over thirty miles per hour. Manufacturers claim these whistles are audible to deer (but not to humans) and effective in frightening deer from the roadway. The whistle is about two inches long and bullet shaped. In 1990, according to The New York Times NATIONAL, deer whistles cost about $25, and such groups as the California, Iowa, and Kansas state police were using them on their patrol cars. :shock:

"While manufacturers contend deer can hear the whistle up to a quarter mile away, no published research verifies the device's effectiveness. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety presented evidence refuting claims promoting the whistles:

"Georgia's Game and Fish Department, for example, found that in hundreds of observations from vehicles equipped with deer whistles, deer didn't respond. Whistles on vehicles going 25-30 mph produced no ultrasonic sound, although some ultrasonic and lower frequencies were produced when the whistles were blown by mouth. According to wildlife biologists at the University of Georgia, neither deer nor humans can hear ultrasonic sound. Whistles blown by mouth near captive deer produce no response [italics mine]. :shock:

"A University of Wisconsin study found that three types of whistle did produce low-pitched and ultrasonic sounds at speeds of 30 to 70 miles per hour; however, researchers were unable to verify that deer responded to the sounds, even at distances well below the distances from which manufacturers claim the whistles are heard. Moreover, deer would only be able to hear the whistles if there were a straight shot between the deer and the whistle. If curves, trees, or other obstacles came between the deer and the whistle, the device would be ineffective. :lol:

"According to an article called "Blowing the Whistle on Deer Scare Devices" in the Mid-February 1993 Farm Journal, the Ohio State Police installed deer whistles on their patrol vehicles; however, they reported finding no significant decrease in collisions between patrol cars and deer. The same article indicated that a panel of the World Society for the Protection of Animals could find no data proving "that such a device can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device." Finally, Washington State University researcher Leonard Askham felt the evidence tended to favor a conclusion that deer whistles do not work. "Even if the devices were effective," Askham warned, "they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt and stop working." :lol:

"The New York Times NATIONAL described a different, creative way to use sound to frighten deer and other animals off the road and out of the path of oncoming vehicles. The article explained:

"Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbors' dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways. But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas." :lol: :D :lol: :shock: :lol: :D

Road Management & Engineering Journal
Copyright © 1997 by TranSafety, Inc. May 12, 1997
TranSafety, Inc.
(360) 683-6276
Fax: (360) 683-6719
[email protected]

In other words: "Go sell crazy somewhere
else, we're all stocked up here." Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets :lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
With all the studies that say whistles don't work, I wonder why insurance companys still push them? boogetyboogety, have you heard any studies about electronic deer warnings? I've seen them for sale, but nothing that says they work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
deer whistle and mishaps

I have hit 10 deer and 2 elk since 1989 while living in Durango, CO; there was absolutley nothing I could do in each instance as deer/elk ran in front of the car or ran into me from the side. I hit my first deer with my first and only set of deer whistles installed. For those of you that have not hit deer yet, go easy on those of us who have, for they are not as smart as dogs and will not get out of your way like most dogs. :

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: deer whistle and mishaps

BillClark said:
I have hit 10 deer and 2 elk since 1989 while living in Durango, CO; there was absolutley nothing I could do in each instance as deer/elk ran in front of the car or ran into me from the side. I hit my first deer with my first and only set of deer whistles installed. For those of you that have not hit deer yet, go easy on those of us who have, for they are not as smart as dogs and will not get out of your way like most dogs. :
Were you coasting during any of the deer and elk encounters, or were you in gear? I am considering a move to Colorado and am not happy to hear there are so many deer around. Have you hit any with your Insight, and if you did, how has it stood up?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts