Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 insight with ~60k miles. I have been having poor IMA boost, low SOC, and lots of recalibrations for the last year or so. I have taken my car to the dealer 3 times with these performance issues, but they always say "the battery is within limits". The drivability, performance, and mileage of my Insight is nothing like it was when new. I have read all the posts with people getting new batteries under warranty, but it is my understanding that you are not eligible until you get the IMA code of death. My question is this, when did people get this code? and has anyone had luck with getting a new battery before they got the code?

additionally, it would be helpful to have the information in the following format for comparison of failure conditions at the time of failure: model year, mileage, lifetime mileage, usually type of driving (i.e. hwy, city, mix), driving style (i.e. gentle, norm, hard), location/weather conditions, road conditions (i.e. hilly, flat, rough), any special mpg techniques (e.g. coasting, p&g, drafting, etc), and applicable repairs/mods

I have not yet had the IMA failure code, but here is my info in that format:

2000; 64k; 56mpg; mix (more hwy); hard (75+mph typ); Ohio (hot & cold, sometimes on the same day ;) ); flat or rolling hills; coasting to stop w/ very light braking to get full recharge; 3 new ECUs & 2 new O2 sensors around year 2 (check eng light), new EGR valve around 35k to fix 40 mph jerking issue, and a new 12v battery around 43k (supposed cause of my poor IMA performance on one of my 3 attempts to get new IMA batteries)

Thanks in advance for everyone’s info! :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
jfinan said:
I have a 2000 insight with ~60k miles. I have been having poor IMA boost, low SOC, and lots of recalibrations for the last year or so.

<snip>

I have not yet had the IMA failure code, but here is my info in that format:

2000; 64k; 56mpg; mix (more hwy); hard (75+mph typ); <snip>

Thanks in advance for everyone’s info! :D
Hi jfinan and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Only 1 of the three items you list above as a "performance" issue truly falls into that catagory, recals. IIRC as far as "poor" assist I don't know how'd you compairatively measure that. And AFAIK there hasn't been a partial failure of the IMA system that would not set a code but only provide limited assist. Nor could such a faulure happen (but almost anything is possible).

ALL rechargable batteries _will_ show increasing with age a narrowing ability to hold a charge (faster SoC depeletion given the same amount of assist). Its just part of the package.

IMO its your driving style that is "pushing" the Insight to the edge of its design limits. Unsafe :?: - no. Shouldn't be driven as such :?: no. But at 75MPH your outside of the upper lean-burn limit and pushing this little 1.0L 3 cylinder engine _outside_ its intended by design (high MPG) performance range. Just like most any Porsche would be a bad choice for a good MPG mobile the Insight is the same in relation to performance. And by its very design goals will not satisfy most owners when driven as such.

In a phrase the Insight is a poor choice fit for your chosen driving style. And given the amount of energy consumed at a 75MPH crusing speed is probably also a primary contributing factor in your low SoC and frequent recals.

Sorry but that's the way I read it.

As far as determining a norm or a forcast as to when your IMA pack will code I doubt that any data you can collect here will shed any reliable light. There are just too many variables. But IMO what will be more significant is that even with a new IMA pack the performance your now expereincing will _rapidly_ recurr since most of your "loss" is due / during forced charging (immediately after a recal). And that's not even factoring in the updated controllers that Honda will _require_ (if their paying the bill under warranty). The reported IMA "performance" with the new controllers is even more "limited" as a battery service life extension countermeasure.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are trying to say. Let me assure you I have considered the fact that my hard driving may be attributing to decreased battery capacity. That is why I asked people to include this bit of information for comparison and correlation. Let me ask you this, have you had your batteries replaced? If so, could you please reply with the requested information  I think it is safe to say there are plenty of people out there who drive slower than I do that have already received the code of death and new batteries. Whereas, I drive faster, in an older Insight, but haven’t worn my batteries sufficiently to garner a replacement (at least according to the dealer ;) ).

Again, there are several points you made that I would be happy to debate outside this thread, but they are not relevant to the task at hand. I am simply taking a friendly poll of how and when people received the code of death = new battery pack under warranty.

Thanks in advance to all that have information to share with the community :D

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good luck with your "poll". But given the effort your "asking" from your fellow Insighters...

There are many past threads on the subject by members at their time of replacement. IMO trying to "normalize" the expected service life based on anecdotal variables will yield little information of value.

However, a moderator can use BBCode's poll function and set up a post as such. Although IIRC it can't be as comprehensive as you've requested (BBcode's "poll" feature isn't that complex). Still if there's enough interest I think the moderators here would agree with me that it would be an interesting one to post. At least from the miles perspective if nothing else.

FYI I've seen a significant increase in the "fragility" of my IMA's SoC over the past 4 years. At 85K miles still no IMA or engine codes of any kind. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong, but I don’t think a few lines of information that hardly amount to more than what most people already have in their signature line is too much effort ;)

I read several post where people were asking some of the same questions I was. I am sure Honda has already compiled this information and then some. As do most manufactures when they have a QA/QC type of issue. That is why they decided to change the charge/discharge rates and extended the warranty.

Mileage is only one piece of the puzzle. Hypothetically, I could go buy a new insight, slowly accelerate to cruising speeds and drive it continually on flat roads at 45 mph and hardly ever discharge the battery. After ~2 months of solid driving I would have the same mileage that I have on my current Insight (64k). I can assure you that the condition of the new IMA battery pack would be substantially better than mine. Likewise, I could go find a 2000 insight with no miles on it (again, hypothetically), do the same test. I bet the 2006 insight battery would still have the better battery. Time breaks down the components in batteries, reducing their effectiveness. That’s why most batteries are dated.

At any rate, if there is a method to actually survey this information, I think that would be very interesting. I thought a qualitative review would be helpful for many of us, but actually numbers would be fascinating. Thank you for the offer :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts