Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 insight with 105k miles. The other day while driving to work I was on the highway going 65-70mph with a heavy head wind. I was going up a hill and the car was doing 4k rpm and then all of a sudden lost power and the gas pedal wouldn't responding. Also the check VSR, hill assist, brake system, and engine light all came on. I got the car off on shoulder and stopped then when i pushed on the gas pedal all I would was intermittent gas so the car would jerk. I turned the car off and turned it back on and still got the same response.

Now to give a little back history, around 84k miles I had this exact same issue with the car and it ended up being that both spark plugs in Cylinder 2 where completely burned off. It appeared they were completely covered in oil and metal L on the spark plug just burned completely off. Before this I had not noticed any excess oil consumption. I changed the oil as soon as the minder said to and always used Vavoline 0W-20, this was new to me because this is the first car I have had that had a oil minder on it. I am accustom to doing the traditional every 3k miles, but the Honda dealership I bought it from was VERY persistent about changing the oil only when the minder light went off. So I figured I would give it a try. So at the time I change all the spark plugs as I figured it was getting closed enough to having to do it anyways and since I would have to tear it apart to do just the one I might as well do all of them. After I changed the spark plugs everything was good again except about every 1,000-1,500 miles the check emissions light would come on so I would check the oil and there would be a little just on the tip of the dipstick. I would put 2 quarts in to bring it up between the dots and be good to go. From this forum I knew that the 2012 Insights were notorious for oil consumption because of bad piston rings so I honestly didn’t think much of it. Well about 2 weeks ago, so at around 103,000 miles I started to have loss of power when accelerating and it was staying up at higher rpms for longer than it should to get up to speed. But this time no lights, no check hill assist, VSR, brake system, or check engine light just the aforementioned problems. So I check the spark plugs again and found again cylinder 2 spark plugs were completely burned off. I replaced them with the intentions of getting into a dealership soon to take a serious look into Cylinder 2 and the oil consumption. Well life got in the way and that brings be back to the beginning of my story.

So I am on the side of the highway, I pull all the spark plugs, figuring it’s the same issue and at this point I have gotten good enough at it that it doesn’t take but 30 minutes. This time it was Cylinder 4 where the spark plugs where burnt completely off and Cylinder 2 were good. The problem is this time I replace the spark plugs and when I went to start the car a puff of smoke came out the exhaust and the car would rev up for 1 min then drop to idle and the gas pedal was become completely unresponsive. I could push it to the floor and the car wouldn’t move out of idle. So I disconnected the battery thinking by chance maybe the car needed to be reset. Turned it back on and got the same thing again, and all the lights; check hill assist, VSR, brake systems, and check engine light all come on. And there is very light amount of smoke that is coming out the tail pipe.

So I got my cheap Walmart scan tool and the codes I got were P0300, P0302, and P0304. The oil consumption and blue smoke make me think it’s a bad valve or valve seal. But I wouldn’t think that would cause it to give me the codes I got and wouldn’t allow the care to rev/ accelerate. I know there are not broken rods or valves as I have taken the valve cover off and did a visual inspection of everything and it all ‘seems’ good. The plug wires all look good as well no cracking, splitting or corrosion on any of them.

Maybe a coil pack? Plug wires bad but look goo? ECR? Maybe it is valve or valve seal? There are so many possibilities I am kind of at a loss of where to start. I would like to try to take care of it myself, as I am fairly handy around cars. But if it is a valve, valve seal, or the rings are causing this problem then I will probably need to take it somewhere as from what I have researched it is quite the extensive fix. Sorry for the book but I wanted to make sure all the facts were laided out so that I could maybe get as accurate of help as possible. Any help would be great appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. this is my first time posting so if I missed anything or there is a post that addresses this please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome.

You have got the feared 2012 oil consumption problem, as mentioned in Honda Service Bulletin TSB 15-015...
All the rest is just collateral damage.
Get Honda to change your piston rings and everything else that failed as a result.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Sometimes being a rugged individualist does not work. At this point the best you can hope for is a deal from Honda on a short block. Piston rings alone may fix it, but you have been running this engine low on oil for half it's life now. When it comes down to it, this is Honda's **** up. But you have never given them the chance to fix it. Do go in with the service bulletin. Folks around here with much lower miles have gotten this fixed and a loaner car while it happened. So it wasn't even that inconvenient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. The only problem I run into with going to a dealer is the closest one to me is 60 miles away. So pretty much it is just the task of getting the car there because it obviously won't drive up there.

I was just hoping that it could be simpler than that but i guess not. Thanks again for the replies and bulletin info I will get it there and see what I can get out of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have a suggestion on the best place to get a 2010 engine? I'm always a little cautious about buying engines from a junk yard.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have no idea where, but the suggestion to get a 2010-2011 engine is based on the problem with the piston rings starting with the 2012 model year.

I'm afraid you have the wrong vehicle to live so far from a dealer. Having had some unique cars in my life, I would urge you to stick with the most normal thing if you are going to live away from civilization.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm afraid you have the wrong vehicle to live so far from a dealer. Having had some unique cars in my life, I would urge you to stick with the most normal thing if you are going to live away from civilization.
The Honda dealer close to work took on a co-dealership for Skoda to keep running and failed when VW took over the Skoda clients.
The Honda dealer closest to home started selling Hyundai too and now sells 10 Hyundais for every Honda.

If the availability of Honda dealers is a measure for civilization then we are doomed... :eek:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The Honda dealer close to work took on a co-dealership for Skoda to keep running and failed when VW took over the Skoda clients.
The Honda dealer closest to home started selling Hyundai too and now sells 10 Hyundais for every Honda.

If the availability of Honda dealers is a measure for civilization then we are doomed... :eek:
Well, in the US there are dealers in most towns of any size. The poster here lives in Nebraska, one of the least populated states here. He might have to drive 60 miles (almost 100km) just to go to the hardware store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not quite that bad I live in one of bigger towns in Nebraska, granted thats not to say it is big by any means, we do have a Chrysler/Ford/Chevrolet dealership just no Honda or foreign car dealerships.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had the same problems with you.

2012 Honda insight, 73k mi.

The code i got from autozone is P 0302,cylinder 2 misfire.

I am now in honda dealer, and waiting for their results.

Just discussed with them the TSB 15-015, and they said my car is out of powertrain warranty, and honda will not cover it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't been able to get physically into the dealership but through emails and phone calls they said that to perform the TSB15-015, it will cost $2,300. That doesn't include any collateral damage caused by the faulty rings. Then just to see what it would cost to diagnose the problem, considering they would have to pull the head off, its $540 that is not including putting the head back on. Problem I am running into is the blue book value is only $4,000 in good condition. So really debating if it is even worth fixing.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
.How much oil can you buy for that amount? Keep on trucking buying plugs and oil. Your decision.

Willie

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really do not know how to do right ow.

i will not sell this bullshit to other poor guy, but i really cannot take the loss. i just have totaled a car, and got this car for less than half a year. i am a student writing my dissertation and will defense at the end of month, but now i am waiting at honda dealer, waiting for 5 hours so far, with my car still in diagnosis...

I haven't been able to get physically into the dealership but through emails and phone calls they said that to perform the TSB15-015, it will cost $2,300. That doesn't include any collateral damage caused by the faulty rings. Then just to see what it would cost to diagnose the problem, considering they would have to pull the head off, its $540 that is not including putting the head back on. Problem I am running into is the blue book value is only $4,000 in good condition. So really debating if it is even worth fixing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.How much oil can you buy for that amount? Keep on trucking buying plugs and oil. Your decision.

Willie
Funny you say that, THAT was my original plan. Just keep buying oil and spark plugs until I can get out from underneath it then get rid of it. But now it won't even move so that plan has kind of gone to crap in a hand bag. Luckily I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee that I used mostly for camping so I can use that till I figure things out.

Good luck shining_sir, it definitely can't be good if they are taking 5 hours just to diagnosis it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
BackStreetXX
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing