Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, this is my first in the forums.
I have a G1 2001 Insight that I've been driving for a few years. Until last month everything ran great (charge/assit/no IMA light, etc.)

ANYWAY, suddenly the charge/assist stopped working. I took it in and got the codes p1581 and p1586. After blinking the codes, only 1581 (21) came up. It's a pretty broad code? My mechanic has worked on hybrids, but we're both wondering where to start. I found a post in the forums (but it wont let me add the link since it's my first post), and it suggests it may be a sensor. I'll see if I can add the link as a reply.

Anyone else ever pull these codes? (I don't have any of the dreaded battery codes, just these two). Also, I am NOT a mechanic, so laymen's terms will be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice in where to BEGIN the process of getting my Insight back and running.

Sada

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
A quick search reveals these:

P1581 Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Current Signal Circuit Problem

P1586 Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Current Signal/Battery Current Signal Circuit Problem

Do you live in a road salt area?

Broadly speaking, if I were to guess, the issue is in the MDM/MCM assembly. It could be a wiring issue also.

Funny thing, I actually recycled most of what was in my hybrid battery compartment last year when I swapped my engine. You might be able to get a replacement unit for free or very cheap from one of the K-series engine swap crowd. I'd have given you mine for shipping, it's just so rare for anything to go wrong with them I didn't think to hold onto it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,420 Posts
SatS:
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have.
Thank You
Willie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey Ecky, thanks for the info. I DO live in a salt road area (as well as coal dust). I've found an "MDM assembly" on ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-...dule-PDU-00-/362749391326?hash=item54758c71de

Is this the assembly you were referencing? If so, I would gladly throw money at a $200 fix. I've tried shopping for the SOC Battery Sensor, but can't find the single component. Maybe it'd be better to change out the whole assembly, as mine has 220,000 miles on it. :eek:

To Clarify -

Is this:

inside this:

Willie - Just joined today, I think the location should show up now. Are we trying to track all the G1s still running around? haha. I bought mine off a guy in Indiana who picked it up in Kentucky. It's been all around the midwest.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That's the unit but I don't know that I'd just buy it blindly. I guess you can always sell it off if it doesn't work. Get some other opinions. I think the current sensor is in the MDM but... well, mine is probably melted down by now.

There are members on here with 400k+ on their hybrid systems and the only common issue is the battery.

Reason I ask about salt is, it can eat some of the grounds under the hood, which can cause all sorts of weird crap. My headlights went out one night due to salt getting in the wires. I want to say there are 3 engine grounds and a myriad of other sensor grounds in the bay, and every one of them is essential.

·
Administrator
12,897 Posts
The unit pictured with the labels is on the end of the IMA battery it is not in the other unit pictured!
If the fault is really in the MPI current sensor then change that.. It is labelled in the picture with labels..

First check however that all the plugs attached to the current sensors are correctly fitted.
Unplug and replug them.
Then clear the codes by disconnecting the 12v battery for ten seconds and see if they come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The unit pictured with the labels is on the end of the IMA battery it is not in the other unit pictured!
If the fault is really in the MPI current sensor then change that.. It is labelled in the picture with labels..

First check however that all the plugs attached to the current sensors are correctly fitted.
Unplug and replug them.
Then clear the codes by disconnecting the 12v battery for ten seconds and see if they come back.
Thanks! I guess we have to pull out the whole battery to get to this board? I'm going to be working on this with my mechanic, but he wants me to do all research. I've googled, and found out this is the juntion board. I guess we'll try pull out the battery and working on this thing. What a frustrating, vague problem. Haha. The codes are pretty rare to be the 12v or ground cables. :(

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
The codes are pretty rare to be the 12v or ground cables. :(
Don't underestimate the importance of the grounds in the engine compartment. Bad grounds cause all sorts of weird symptoms with the IMA system. The two grounds running from the engine and transmission to the chassis, under the engine air cleaner, provide ground for most of the IMA system. Because of salt exposure and engine motion, they frequently break or corrode badly. Give each of those two a good hard tug and make sure they aren't broken. Also check for corrosion around the attachment points. ELECTRONICS NEEDS GROUNDS.

This is one of the easiest, quickest, and least expensive checks and should always be done first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't underestimate the importance of the grounds in the engine compartment. Bad grounds cause all sorts of weird symptoms with the IMA system. The two grounds running from the engine and transmission to the chassis, under the engine air cleaner, provide ground for most of the IMA system. Because of salt exposure and engine motion, they frequently break or corrode badly. Give each of those two a good hard tug and make sure they aren't broken. Also check for corrosion around the attachment points. ELECTRONICS NEEDS GROUNDS.

This is one of the easiest, quickest, and least expensive checks and should always be done first.
Thanks Jime, I'm going to find the a pic of those ground locations to take to my mechanic. I found the ground location listed here:

SO I guess we'll just try and test them all.

If they're all fine...we'll pull mess with the MPI sensor connections/junction board connections.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
100 Posts
A quick search reveals these:

P1581 Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Current Signal Circuit Problem

P1586 Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Current Signal/Battery Current Signal Circuit Problem

Do you live in a road salt area?

Broadly speaking, if I were to guess, the issue is in the MDM/MCM assembly. It could be a wiring issue also.

Funny thing, I actually recycled most of what was in my hybrid battery compartment last year when I swapped my engine. You might be able to get a replacement unit for free or very cheap from one of the K-series engine swap crowd. I'd have given you mine for shipping, it's just so rare for anything to go wrong with them I didn't think to hold onto it.
Forgive me in I’m misremembering these codes but please check the wire from the electric motor back to the rear of the car. Road debris can cut one of the three wires in the bundle and the car can’t determine the position of the electric motor anymore. It’s an easy visual check with the car raised up. Repair involves replacing the wire not repairing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check also 12 volt battery connections, charge & condition poor or low voltage battery can cause fault codes just like poor grounds.....mine showed a bypass contactor problem that turned out to be just a poor 12v battery voltage & connection If I didn't do that first I would have pulled the ima battery to replace the contactor.

Don't assume that the 12v battery is good because the car starts.
If the battery voltage looks good remove one 12v battery terminal & wait about a minute then replace to reset the ima light. if/when the light comes back recheck the fault codes.....you can do this by shorting 2 pins on the diagnostic port if you don't have a scanner & reading the blink codes......search reading blink codes on this forum.

The power unit is very well built & reliable so check 12v battery,grounds wiring problems first.

Check also for water around seatbelt & carpet areas as there us a well known water leak from roof seams that can allow water in to battery box water can then short the connectors & cause any number of random fault codes.

-----------------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts