Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've heard very mixed reviews about so called "unpowered radiator" type subs.

At low volume they sound okay, but if you push them they start to sound like poo very quickly as the volume goes up!

Haven't heard them myself, that's just what I have read and heard around the audio shop...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. 9" depth seems like its too big, but maybe not. The reviews on Crutchfield seem pretty good though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I ordered one for the second Insight. I'll let you know how it works in a couple of weeks. It did get good comments for those that added it to the Prius JBL system so if it doesn't sound right in the Insight I will move it to the Prius. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
as with most anything else, if you have any knowledge of carpentry you can probably make something better yourself.

a very small D class sub and a single 6, 8, or 10" sub in a custom box, if properly filled (with padding) and sealed will sound great in a car as small as an Insight, just make sure you use 1/2" ply or thicker for the box, anything thinner and it won't hold enough sound in the box to sound right (it won't sound as deep as it should and it will sound loose and floppy almost like the sub itself is bass rattling).

·
Registered
652 Posts
The Kenwood KSC-SW1 will fit in the same space as the shoebox sub. I ordered one for my Daughters car but then was fortunate enough to find a shoebox sub for sale. I installed the shoebox but did check fit the kenwood. I know Jim is selling a shoebox sub on the yahoo insight group. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer but it does not fit under any of the seats. I will probably install it in the storage box, but not sure yet.
The thing is that I connected it with the OEM radio and it does not sound right it. It sounds very low and when you turn up the power level of the subwoofer it continues sounding low and distorted. I reversed the speaker cable polarity, I have connected a temporary ground cable directly to the battery, I have even connected it thru a speaker to RCA converter and it does not sound natural. Right now I have connected it to the rear speakers, does anyone know if you must connect them to the front speakers?
Do you think that it just came damaged from the factory? :(
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got it to wok correctly. I had to run the power wire directly to the battery. Apparently the radio's existing circuit will not allow the additional subwoofer load. It must have some type of protection that instead of blowing the fuse, it will limit the current causing the subwoofer to sound very low and distorted. What can I say, this car is very smart!
Regarding the sound, in my opinion it was just what I needed. Not too much bass, just a bit more than natural bass sound. It has a remote adjustment button that fits perfectly between the cigarette lighter/ radio cover and the cup holder / shift boot console. I am very happy with it. :D
If you are looking for an extreme bass sound, this will not be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts