Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killing the engine while coasting or FAS has proven to be a great MPG enhancement. When used wisely, it is pretty safe, and can produce some nice MPG improvements.
A schematic of the system which was originally designed by Calpod, and later modified with a clutch hold relay by Highwater is available for download at:
http://www.99mpg.com/Data/resources/dow ... terfas.pdf
The Insight marathon has added one further function to the system which keeps the dc/dc converter on when in FAS so the HV battery can keep the 12V system properly charged.
I will be making some PC cards for another project, and was wondering if there is any interest in having a real FAS mod circuit with pc card, so it would be a simple system to build and install.
It could be made to install by the pin replacement system that I will be using for another project, so it will be easy to install or remove.
Any Interest?

·
Registered
466 Posts
YES! and how about this: either by timer, or when the FAS switch is being held down, apply full regen to both "help" the engine stop and to give the battery pack a small juicing.
i am just using the fuel cut FAS method, and it takes a few seconds for the engine to die. while it is winding down i apply full regen (i am in MIMA or "Honda" mode (mode 1 or 2 IIRC) since PIMA will fire up the engine again by itself).

watcha think?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Pressing the FAS button while in Regen will kill the engine instantly.

I'm glad this is being looked at agan, it is a great mileage modification.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would be interested. Any chance of finding a button that would fit into one of the existing unused cutouts in the dash? "Profesional looking installation" and all that...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Mike D: Yeah, I'm very interested........any chance you can make one for me? A quick kill switch would be very useful, I FAS quite alot and all I can do is shut off with the key and reboot.

By the way, are you going to be at Hybridfest in Madison again this year?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dougie,
The little covers pop out. I have used two of them to mount switches by simply drilling a neat little mounting hole dead center. Looks stock.

Billy,
I will need to see more than 2 guys wanting a PC board version of this before I will invest the time and money into designing the PC version. Of course I could make one up the hard time consuming way if there is not enough interest to go the better way.
Still not decided about Hybrid fest. Lots of irons in the fire.

Trying to make a traveling road seminar on an old starcraft camper chassis.
http://www.99mpg.com/workshops/hybridroadseminars/
I even dugg out Sparkie, my air electric hybrid robot, as a possible fun addition to the road seminar.
;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mike,
I'd like one too.
Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
64 Posts
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I need a good wiring diagram for installing FAS, via killing all 3 injectors at once w/ a relay

any help/links/whatever appreciated !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ditto on looking for FAS mod diagram/instructions

sorry to dig up an old thread, but I need a good wiring diagram for installing FAS, via killing all 3 injectors at once w/ a relay any help/links/whatever appreciated !
Ditto! This is my very first post...mainly because most topics are covered so completely here that I've been able to do several mods and build my grid charger successfully on the first shot. THANKS A TON!!! to everyone who contributes their expertise and assistance! This is by far the best automotive forum I've ever joined!

As for the FAS mod...I've read and searched quite a bit, but a diagram for cutting fuel to the injectors or simple instructions that include the type of relay and how to wire have eluded me so far! Can anybody point me (and speedycorky) in the right direction? I hope to be able to contribute in the same way as I get a little more time with the Insight.

Thanks again!...You guys are awesome!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I PMed mike and asked him if he has any of those FAS boards left, no reply back yet :(

but yea that page is the main one that tells about FAS. The wiring diagram is here:

http://99mpg.com/Data/resources/downloads/relateddocuments/total_fas.pdf

tho it seems seems overly complicated in my eyes. if i was an electrical engineer then maybe it would be right up my alley. but since i'm not; I wish there was a more simple "this wire of this color connects to this other wire on the car that can be found here and is this color" kinda thing. the FAS page that was posted above kinda has that, but not quite as clear as i'd like it. If i had the FAS board in front of me and was doing the install, i'm sure i could get 95% of it, and via a few *dumb* questions i'm sure i could get the rest... :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks AbCaRed00...appreciate the link to Mike's web page on FAS. I must have missed it reading about all the other cool stuff he's doing.

Mike D...if you see this...can you please let us know if you have any of your FAS boards available for purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mike like me hates PM so he doesn't often look at them or respond to them.

You need to mail him at his webpage address for him to hear you promptly.
:???:Sorry, I did not know you hated PMs. How do you want administrator inquiries to come to you? :idea:perhaps indicate and label as administrator that method in your list at the bottom of your post of preferred way to contact you?

·
Registered
64 Posts
email = bingo

i just emailed him; he replied back; FAS board en route!

:cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts