Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my insight A LOT. Not uncommon to do 3000 miles in about 1 and 1/2 months.

Anyway, i had the oil changed before my last trip and while on my way North (I live in Kentucky of Course) I noticed the dealer had 10w30 wrote on my window tag.

:shock:

I always have them to use at least 5w20 because 0w20 is hard to find.

What should I do? The car actually did exceptionally well as far as fuel economy goes. I sometime have trouble getting 70mpg, but not this time. It was easy, engine was quieter too.

What do you guys think??????

concerned and on the road in Illinois

JJ

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Kentucky; First, return the car and make them replace the oil with 5w-20. Or, bring them some 0-20. But the bigger picture is: I would encourage anyone, if at all inclined, to change your own oil! If not, find a service facility you can trust, and then get to know your technician! INSIST that HE do the work every time. Reward him with a gift or something. Then, he will know you expect perfect service. He will be accountable to you. Try calling NAPA stores. I just bought 6 cases of Mobil 1 0-20; many of NAPA's warehoused apparently have lots of it left......

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If it's convenient force the mechanic to change your oil again for free.

But as long as it's not cold in the morning when you first turn it on it will be fine. Even if it's very cold it would not be ideal but nothing will break, only slightly more engine wear wear then normal may occur during cold starts. If it was 10W30 synthetic oil then I would not bother to worry about it all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno

I called the dealer he said. Oh uhhh well we put 5w30 in it. I said, it takes 0w20, as stated on the oil cap.

Idiots.

Check engine light came on, but i think it was unrelated, had something to do with me lugging it (OOPS).

I love my insight.. Absolutley love it. I am thinking of buying a brand new one :)

JJ

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Dunno

kentuckyheavensent said:
I called the dealer he said. Oh uhhh well we put 5w30 in it. I said, it takes 0w20, as stated on the oil cap.

Check engine light came on, but i think it was unrelated, had something to do with me lugging it (OOPS).
Sounds like they _OWE_ you another oil change :!:

Cant "do" anything from behind the wheel to cause the check engine light to come on. Needs to be checked. And no the incorrect oil cannot cause it to come on. Check the gas cap for tightness first. If loose the code will self reset (but remain in memory) after 2 days of "normal" driving.

And like the other posts the incorrect weight oil will only reduce MPG.

Theoretically it will cause some _looong_ term _slight_ increased engine wear during the engine's warm up. But there are many other more significant wear factors (IMO).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I would politely try and get another oil change out of it, filter too if they'll do it. If not then you might try writing corporate. The owners manual says 10W-30 can be used temporarily if nothing else is available, it's not going to hurt anything except maybe your mileage slightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts