Honda Insight Forum banner

Conserving time

6924 Views 66 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ElectricTroy
I've only owned my second-hand insight for a couple weeks but I have no complaints.

I have enjoyed the tips for improving fuel economy on this site. (I've been a fan of the 50 psi tire setting for many years prior to my Insight purchase) I've read many accounts on this site about the high fuel economy that can be achieved by slowing down. I've heard many people going 55 mph on the highway or even slower.

So, I made some rough calculations to help me consider slowing down...

I drive about 130 mi per day. I compared 2 scenarios: #1) maintaining a average speed of 55 mph and returning 80 mpg. #2) maintaining a 72 mph average and returning 60 mpg. Some of you may think these numbers are high or low...perhaps you would do better or worse. But I just wanted a rough idea.

So assuming gas is $2.00 / gal... I calculated the money saved by slowing down: $1.08 ( per day by slowing from 72 to 55 mph)

Next I calculated the additional time required to make this slower commute: 33 minutes.

That works out to a return of $1.96 for an hour of my time. I realize getting high mpg numbers has become a bit of a hobby for some of you, so that enjoyment is neglected by this analysis. But does anyone really think this is worthwhile??

I plan to speed up.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
787 Posts
I am one of those who has a low average like Wayne and Rwarn wrote about. Off course, I have the winter temps, the bigger winter tires (175/70) to help me in getting low mpg averages (higher 40').

But even in summer, I am close these numbers.

It is the exact reason I bought the car. I have always driven cars in the same manner, from a 98 cubic inch engine in a 1980 Pontiac Acadian to 454 in a Firebird.

So instead of getting the EPA of 18 MPG the Cherokee I had previously, I always had around 10 MPG (to me this is almost 30 liters per 100 KM). Now with the Insight I get around 5 L/100KM which is 1/6 the gas and even lesser in polution.

To get to the point of the tread, every time I had a speeding ticket, I tell my wife that I will save the money by driving conservatively until I have saved the money back.
That used to be quick in the way I drive. A few weeks.

I only had 1 speeding ticket since I had my Insight. The reason is that in order to save the speeding ticket money, and the price is higher each year, it now takes a hell of a time. If I remember it was more than a year. Because the Insight does not use much gas, and to save the difference of higher MPG, is not a big amount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.