Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
If I had to drive 130 miles a day like u00mem9, I'm afraid I'd be driving a lot faster. Life is too short! As it is I drive 110 miles one day a week. I enjoy the ride and tend to poke along somewhat unless there is someone behind me. For me this time is a chance to reflect a little and enjoy the ride. So you see, I don't think the money is the main issue. :D

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
There are many factors involved in determining the safety of a car. Speed is one of the few that we have control over. Danger goes up Logrithmically with speed as kinetic energy is equal to the mass times the velocity sqaured. In addition to actual impact energy you have to consider stopping distance and reaction time. What is the value of a human life? Similarly pollution goes up with speed. How many children or adults will die from pollution related disorders? What is the true cost of a gallon of gas in terms of lives lost defending foreign interests?

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
1."A faster moving car spends less time on the road."
True, but it still covers the same distance, and objects such as cars and pedestrians have less time to move aside.( If you were traveling at lets say 1,000 MPH almost nothing could avoid being hit by you.) As speed increases the turning radius of your vehicle increases. (Think of the turning circle of a military jet). The factors of stopping distance, turning radius, kinetic energy, and slower objects inability to avoid you actually multiply together mathematically which makes the original kinetic energy hypothesis incredibly conservative.

2. "A faster moving vehicle also makes more noise and is more noticeable to pedestrians and other drivers."
Unfortunately our Insights are very quiet and their low CD means they don?t make much wind noise. Also unfortunately my car is a grey colour which is not that noticeable. Fortunately, In Canada we must drive with our lights on, and this really does help!

3. "One could also argue that a faster moving driver would be more alert."
I have to agree with you there. That is one of the reasons I really like manual transmissions. Automatics put me to sleep! Boring. :roll: The Insight handling tends to keep one alert too.:)

I didn"t want to frighten anyone. I like to drive fast myself, and I believe that our cars are safer than average and handle better than average. Arguing for the case for speed in an Insight is the fact that our cars have a low CD. As a result higher speeds do not carry the same heavy penalty with regard to overcoming wind resistance as a boxier vehicle. If EPA highway ratings were done at 90 MPH, cars like the Insight (.25 CD) would be waaaaaay ahead of everything except the Prius II (.26 CD)

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Relax Bill. Just drive at whatever speed you find comfortable. I like reading what Wayne has to say and I agree with much of it, but Consider this: Wayne is selling his Insight. Most of us are not.:wink: Don't let anyone rain on your parade. :D

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Wayne I seem to recall that you listen to talking books while you travel. Those who drive for a living ..... delivery, courier, truck driver, taxi, spend a lot more time in their vehicle than you do just to make a living. :)

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Yes Don, I have experimented with energy conservation for years, so the Insight is a natural for me. This winter I'm testing out a new fresh air supply for the house using a 130 foot long underground duct. It picks up heat from the ground in the winter and cools in the summer. I got the idea years ago from an article called "the umbrella house".

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Ah Switzerland! When relatives come here they keep staring out the windows expecting mountains! It is a lovely place, but may be a bit of a culture shock. Enjoy yourself. This sounds like a rare opportunity. :)

Wayne, sounds like Jefferson was a rather smart fellow.:wink:He would probably be driving a hybrid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.