Honda Insight Forum banner

Conserving time

6924 Views 66 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ElectricTroy
I've only owned my second-hand insight for a couple weeks but I have no complaints.

I have enjoyed the tips for improving fuel economy on this site. (I've been a fan of the 50 psi tire setting for many years prior to my Insight purchase) I've read many accounts on this site about the high fuel economy that can be achieved by slowing down. I've heard many people going 55 mph on the highway or even slower.

So, I made some rough calculations to help me consider slowing down...

I drive about 130 mi per day. I compared 2 scenarios: #1) maintaining a average speed of 55 mph and returning 80 mpg. #2) maintaining a 72 mph average and returning 60 mpg. Some of you may think these numbers are high or low...perhaps you would do better or worse. But I just wanted a rough idea.

So assuming gas is $2.00 / gal... I calculated the money saved by slowing down: $1.08 ( per day by slowing from 72 to 55 mph)

Next I calculated the additional time required to make this slower commute: 33 minutes.

That works out to a return of $1.96 for an hour of my time. I realize getting high mpg numbers has become a bit of a hobby for some of you, so that enjoyment is neglected by this analysis. But does anyone really think this is worthwhile??

I plan to speed up.
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Yes Don, I have experimented with energy conservation for years, so the Insight is a natural for me. This winter I'm testing out a new fresh air supply for the house using a 130 foot long underground duct. It picks up heat from the ground in the winter and cools in the summer. I got the idea years ago from an article called "the umbrella house".

G

·
Hi B1shmu63:

___Have you ever visited Jefferson’s Monticello in Virginia? He designed/built his home with that same system in mind.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1j5w2d45][email protected][/email:1j5w2d45]

· Registered
1,526 Posts
xcel: "In other words, should we all work at the local McDonalds for ¼ as much with little to no benefits and not drive..."

I think you misunderstood my point. I certainly understand your decision to drive further so you can make more money, but what I don't think you're seeing is that it's really the same logic as the people who drive faster in order to save time. We're all trading a bit of extra gas use for things that are of more value to us, whether it be higher pay or more free time.

After all, how can I quarrel with your 90-odd mile commute, when I just took a job that's about 7000 miles away :)

G

·
Hi James:

___I perfectly understand your point of view :D

___Are you headed for Europe somewhere? If so, please post back with your experiences. I have about a hundred questions in regards to their political systems and the populace’s ideas, economic expansion/progression, aged assistance, health and medical care, automobile technology, computer technology, manufacturing strengths and weaknesses … You know, all that stuff we can’t talk about here in this forum :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:8boac9jl][email protected][/email:8boac9jl]

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Ah Switzerland! When relatives come here they keep staring out the windows expecting mountains! It is a lovely place, but may be a bit of a culture shock. Enjoy yourself. This sounds like a rare opportunity. :)

Wayne, sounds like Jefferson was a rather smart fellow.:wink:He would probably be driving a hybrid!

· Registered
609 Posts
xcel said:
___Are you headed for Europe somewhere? If so, please post back with your experiences. I have about a hundred questions in regards to their political systems and the populace’s ideas, economic expansion/progression, aged assistance, health and medical care, automobile technology, computer technology, manufacturing strengths and weaknesses … You know, all that stuff we can’t talk about here in this forum :(

go to http://www.lemon64.com Lots of Europeans you can chat with.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.