Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
i have been intensely reading this website for the past few months because i really want an insight, ( i have for the past few years)

one popped up in the local classifieds
yr 2000
manual
60k miles
new battery
for $10,000

what do you guys think?
seems like a good deal to me, i just need reinforcement before i commit.
i am going to look at it tonight, are there any specific questions i should ask?

btw, the ad says new battery dows that mean the battery and BCM were replaced?

thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
"new battery"....12V starter or 144V IMA pack?? Miles are low for an 00. Someone on this sight might be able to run a Carfax for you also. Also check the LMPG, (lifetime miles per gallon), the higher the better. It's usually a good indicator of how the previous owner(s) have driven the car but not in all cases. KBB lists retail price an 00 with 60K miles with A/C at $9405 in excellent condition. Looks like you should have some room to negotiate.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
338 Posts
offer him $8750 and call it a day....

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is a good value compared to other small used cars with decent mileage, if you are going to keep it for 80-100k miles. That's why I just bought 00Silver - 87kmiles, new IMA at 80k, for $8,500. That is roughly equivalent to where your buy is priced. Blue Book said I shouldn't pay more than $8,100 used from an individual, but my spreadsheet of used cars with mileage and life cost projections ranked 00Silver as #1 over 100k miles - even against a salvage-titled Focus, new Fit, and every used small high mpg car I could find for less than $7k.

I found mine on line, called my wife and asked her to just go get it. When I get back to the U.S. in 4 weeks, I look forward to seeing my new-to-me toy! My mileage in China is infinite - riding bicycle to work, so 00Silver will be a step down in my Carb footprint!

I have to admit I am a risk-taker to a certain degree - or an arrogant engineer, one of the two.

Good luck.

00Silver - purchased sight unseen from China. Hi Ho Silver!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all,
i went to look at the car last night.

i took a short test drive around the block. i have set up another time sunday afternoon to see the car in the day this time. from what i can tell, the car looks in perfect condition with a few expected scratches to the paint. it definately has been lightly driven used mostly for short commutes by the teacher who was the first owner and now a young lady who is the current 2nd owner.

according to KBB exellent condition for a private party trade values it a $10,100. i assume that is where she is getting her asking price.

i really want the car, but im not sure what to offer. how does 9500 sound????
she said that she is recieving other offers but will not sell until i decide, i assume that means she is giving me 1st dibs.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know where you are located, but I am also in the buying mode and actualy flying to pick up a '02 this afternoon.
I did find another 2002 w/ 35,000 miles in Texas, original owner. CVT, silver. He's ready to trade in and has offered it to me at $10,000 before I even approached price(he was asking 12). He needs to get a pick-up. It's been stored at his mom's and that's who I've been talking to. Based on all I've put together, it may need $300-500 mas of dent pro to remove some hail dents. New tires and pictures aren't bad. I was definately going to buy but I just found one much closer to the bay area w/ 19k miles. Even though more money, it's better for me because I can have it back home it 5 hours.
If your interested in more info on he '02, pm me & I will route you the info.
Glad to help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
fuzzymutt said:
according to KBB exellent condition for a private party trade values it a $10,100. i assume that is where she is getting her asking price.

I'm not sure of difference in locations, but KBB did not show that high for me.
http://tinyurl.com/ypdh2q

Did you choose Private Party sale? Also, If it has scratches, it would not qualify for excellent.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just picked up a 2000 with 47K for $8500......seller wanted $9300 I offered 8500 and jumped on it. Houston area

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well,
i went to look at it in the day sunday afternoon
the paint and interior wasnt in as good condition
as i previously thought

i offered 8750

i beleive my offer was the first

the owner said they would make a decision
after all the offers come in

·
Registered
338 Posts
8750????
where did you get that idea???
:p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trunkout,
i was wondering if you were being sarcastic or not
then i saw the smiley face :p
and i figured you were :p

at first i was considering 9500 when i saw it at night
but then when i saw it in the day, the interior wasnt
really that great, actually its a lot worse than my
primary vehicle that has 80k+

there were a lot of scratches at various locations
on the body + a major key on the front hood

also i spoke with a freind that works in honda financing
here in town and he was saying new civic hybrids are selling
way below sticker so the 10,000 that the insight owner
was asking is way over what i should be willing to pay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer'00

I got my '00 5spd with 60,000 in Michigan 6 months ago from a Honda dealer for $10,000 "out the door" with a 2 year 20,000 Honda extended warranty. Exterior is excellent but the interior is fair.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would say in my case

exterior=fair
interior=fair

also, its a private sale, so no extended warantee
so i feel good with my offer :p

·
Registered
338 Posts