Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 2010 insight. I need a car fast as my last ride was flood damaged and insurance totaled. I'll buy a carfax report on it tomorrow before I look at it , the owner is offering it for $1k , a price I find hard to resist if I can fit into it. In my ultra quck / overload learning curve I see shocks, 12v starting batteries are an issue I can accept, It's coming up on 8 years old , what about those OTHER BATTERIES , how long do they last ? Any other big problem areas ? thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok learning about IMA batteries $2k to replace?, Many got replaced under warranty? One poster said 6 years she needed replacement and Honda said out of warranty ?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Yes.

New Insight warranty 8 years/80K miles.

If denied at 6 yr, likely lover the mileage limit.

Also, if the car has a salvage title, they won't warranty the battery.

2nd gen battery failures are much less common than 1st gen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok 15 years, is this right? I'm in NY

● C-Vehicles withARBAT PZEV emission certification* that are registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut,Massachusetts,Maine, New Jersey, NewYork,
Rhode Island, and Vermont.
* To determine if your vehicle is ARBAT PZEV emission certified, refer to the under-hood VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION label. If you’re still not sure if your
vehicle has ARBAT PZEV emission certification, contact your authorized Honda dealer, or Honda Customer Service (see front inside cover).

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
No. 10 years/150K for participating PZEV states.

Here is the wiki on PZEV:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle

NY may qualify. CA is a no-brainer, but I would want to check with Honda by VIN.

It has to have qualified from the beginning. You can't buy a car in an 8/80K state, move to another state and get 10/150K.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I'd be checking the carfax really carefully, then doing the same on the car. $1,000 for a 2nd gen insight sounds like a too good to be true deal. Is it salvaged? You mention your car was flood damaged, might this one be flood damaged as well and owner is trying to dump it quick before problems pop up? Proceed with caution!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did something stupid looking back that I drove thru too deep water, or tried to . a few cars got damaged like that last week as per reports. Not the one I'm considering. I kind of know the person, Will get the carfax for history anyway.

It is too good to be true at $1k, (his price) He mentioned to another at church he was going to donate it and get a $2k tax write off, I overheard it and talked him out of it. He's the long time Rev. If it works out I gotta give him more somehow.

yes I see now it's 10 years other items 15, IF it's New York ARB AT PZEV

Integrated Motor Assist System (IMA)
Battery Assembly (including all internal
components) 8/100 8/100*4 10/150

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,458 Posts
How many miles on the car?

IMA battery probably not going to give you problems, unless car is above 200K, just make sure you take it into Honda and have them do all the recalls on this car for free.

When you talk to the service guys, there's the 2 airbag recalls and 1 IMA battery computer software update recall. Ask the service guys to check for and install any OTHER software updates at the same time that they do the recall software update. There are 2 extras that are not recall but you want them anyway. So that's 3 total software updates the car should get.

Once you have all 3 you're set the IMA probably won't die on you as long as you drive it at least a couple times a week. I've personally never heard of a 2nd Gen IMA battery dying either FWIW.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Indeed, how many miles are on it is pretty basic information that needs to be shared around here.
The worst thing you can do to an Insight is leave it sitting around. Rechargeable batteries need to be kept charged. So as long as he used it, it should be fine.

Also, around here we like to have the CVT (transmission) fluid changed way more often that Honda calls for. Every other oil change (18-20k miles) is about right. So look at that fluid and smell it, if not horrible and the rev has had it changed a few times you are ok. Just get it changed and keep it changed.

Ditto on the software updates. All are good and only connecting the Insight to the Honda computer in the service area will work. If the service advisor just enters the VIN into his computer, that is not enough! It will show any open recalls though, and one software update is a recall of sorts. (Real recalls are safety related) beg or offer to pay for all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
carfax does not report this "AT PZEV" ,,, Is it in effect on this car in NY ? could be a carfax miss ? Would need to check with dealer.

This car was serviced regularly at the same dealer, it was seen at the dealer at <8k mile intervals, it doesn’t always state fluids changed, many entries are simply “Vehicle serviced

on paper it’s a steal, From a Church Rev....... I gotta let him know, especially if I don’t buy it.

Estimated start date of warranty: 12/11/2009
Last CARFAX reading reported on 03/29/2017: 91,331 miles
Today's Date: November 7, 2017
Enter the current mileage and click 'Recalculate Warranty' to update the remaining warranty coverage.
Enter current mileage:
Type of Coverage: Original Warranty: Estimated Remaining Coverage:
Basic 36 months or 36,000 miles Coverage expired
Drivetrain 60 months or 60,000 miles Coverage expired
Emissions 96 months or 80,000 miles Coverage expired
Corrosion 60 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Notes: Emissions: Manufacturer covers emissions components under basic warranty.
Emissions coverage may vary by state. Refer to owners manual for specific details.
Transferable: No cost, unlimited owners covered. Roadside Assistance: Not provided.
Specific Components: Battery coverage 3/Unlimited, no pro-rate.

03/27/2013 Engine/powertrain computer/module checked

06/28/2016 82,562 Left airbag assembly replaced

this is the only CVT (transmission) fluid change shown.
10/10/2016 85,939 DCH Honda of xxxx
Maintenance inspection completed
Rear brakes serviced/adjusted
Transmission fluid changed
Oil and filter changed
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Tire(s) balanced
Tires rotated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed, how many miles are on it is pretty basic information that needs to be shared around here.

If the service advisor just enters the VIN into his computer, that is not enough! It will show any open recalls though, and one software update is a recall of sorts. (Real recalls are safety related) beg or offer to pay for all.
sharing...

Manufacturer Recall
No open recalls reported to CARFAX. Check with an authorized Honda dealer for any open recalls.
No Recalls

07/07/2009 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
12/11/2009 11 New York
Inspection Station
Emissions inspection performed
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
12/11/2009 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
02/03/2010 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported
03/25/2010 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Registration issued or renewed
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
07/28/2010 9,138 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
10,000 mile service performed
09/30/2010 New York
Damage Report
Accident reported
with another motor vehicle
12/14/2010 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Transmission serviced
Emissions or safety inspection performed
12/14/2010 14,509 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
07/05/2011 20,583 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Oil and filter changed
Wipers/washers checked
12/14/2011 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxco
Fuel filler door adjustedm
Glass checked
One tire mounted
Tire(s) replaced
Four wheel alignment performed
Oil and filter changed
Tire condition and pressure checked
Tires rotated
Transmission serviced
12/14/2011 27,851 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
12/28/2011 28,206 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Fuel system checked
03/22/2012 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 HONDA INSIGHT LX:...

Passed safety inspection
05/18/2012 New York
Damage Report
Accident reported
with another motor vehicle
07/24/2012 36,276 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Vehicle serviced
12/29/2012 42,067 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection
View what was inspected
03/05/2013 45,214 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Air filter replaced
Fluids checked
Oil and filter changed
03/27/2013 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Exterior trim checked
Wipers/washers checked
01/14/2014 55,014 Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
hondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Wipers/washers checked
01/14/2014 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
03/21/2014 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
07/09/2014 60,117 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
11/25/2014 64,415 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Vehicle serviced
01/29/2015 66,517 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
01/29/2015 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
10/06/2015 73,928 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Oil and filter changed
02/05/2016 78,116 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
03/23/2016 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
xxxxxxxxxxx NY
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
04/26/2016 80,634 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Oil and filter changed
06/28/2016 82,562 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
zzzzzzzz
dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
Left airbag assembly replaced
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 HONDA INSIGHT LX:...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would go for it at that price.
The warranty is based on where the vehicle was first sold. So if it was new in New York State and NY was a CARB state at that time, then the IMA is 10/150.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I bought it !!!.. Already did minor stuff. He bought a new battery (wrong size, too big, he's returning it monday.) I got a new one when I made the run for the $1k. His wiper spray was out since the glass was replaced weeks ago, reconnected the hose. Looks like it has the right sticker for 10/150 for NY, 2 years to go! After I get the new registration I'm thinking of having NYS inspection at the Honda dealer. I'll have them check for the software updates with the Honda computer in the service area. Now there's something “enter code” he said due to the dead starting battery? Now it's the learning curve for everything, noticed it had mp3 on the radio, gotta read and find where the usb is? , how to set the clock, and on.....

Oh I have the $100 Harbor Freight DTC/ABS code reader , gotta find the connector & see what shows,? Took it with me, forgot about it.

I told him a few times he could get double easy ,,,, triple for it from any dealer .. he wanted it off his insurance? "make a donation" . I will rev

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
No owner’s manual? How do those things get lost? A pdf is not hard to find online. Register here with your vin:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

CODE means the radio code. You have to enter it for the audio system to work if the battery is dead/ disconnected.
If it is an EX, the usb connector is in the center console.

I bet the rev experienced a dead battery. Insights with dead batteries do weird things, light up a lot of error indicators, and, if it is an EX the alarm will act strange. Many have come here with a simple dead battery thinking their Insight was very broken. The rev, being a man of faith and not science probably took it as a sign to get rid of it. Or maybe God handed this to you because you are deserving. (Instead of just stupid for trying to drive through water) There must be a walking on water joke here somewhere, but I will just leave it alone...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for leaving the water joke alone. Yea he pointed out the the manuals are in the glove compartment and there is a code there. I found the owners manual online , yet at 500+ pages (is it)I haven't read it all yet. It's a LX I believe . It's a lot to take in considering it's different from the standard gas only vehicle.

Actually I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. it was a panic buy to get transportation rather than locking into a lease or buying outright.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
$1000. Is less than a months basic car rental.

An LX does not have the usb input. (was standard starting in 2012 I think, or maybe that was Bluetooth in an EX)

Just don’t contemplate keeping it as a second car. Cars with rechargeable batteries (and power tools) do not like sitting around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I rented for a month at $1k +tax right now! As soon as I get it registered I return it. We missed a tax paid form and he took off on a trip that afternoon, back Monday.

here's the mp3 info.. it's a learning curve.. thanks for all the replies

This audio system can also play
CD-Rs and CD-RWs compressed in
MP3 or WMA formats. The numbers
of the folder and track playing are
shown in the display on the disc
player. A disc can support more than
99 folders, and each folder can hold
more than 255 playable files. A disc
can hold up to 999 files in total.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Found most of the service invoices carfax listed in the glove compartment, guy is good! and some carfax didn't list. I typed in CAPS for my notes

10/10/2016 85,939 DCH Honda of XXXXX
XXXXX, NY
8XXXXX
dchhondaofXXXXX.com
Transmission fluid changed
Oil and filter changed
LABOR $30 FILTER $40
Tire(s) balanced
Tires rotated
STABILIZER LINKS ON ORDER, estimate $459
NO INVOICE ON ACTUALLY REPLACED
MUST HAVE BEEN AS THATS A INSPECTION ITEM

normally I don't mess with suspension work, but at $450 I'll see if I want to mess with it.

On the car I trashed they wanted $50 to replace the $8 cabin filter, so simple anybody could do it, Honda's price $70

He went thru rear tires, Rear shocks? no record of that changed?

Drivers air bag replaced

only 1 software update noted , my guess is the other was done ?

dchhondaofxxxxxxxxxxxcom
11/25/2014 64,415 DCH Honda of xxx
xxx, NY
ECM UPDATE CAT DTC RECALL
CV FLUID ADD DECLINED CV SERVICE FLUID COLOR

on a couple of service visits he declined CV service, yet there's a charge for some fluid, partial fill/change ?

set up to have it detailed in/out Saturday

didn't find a note for the code for the radio, do have the original bill of sale, is it on that ?

blurbs I found for the 2011, mine is 2010:

Look in the back of the manuals for where the dealer wrote something. It should be a simple number. I think radio code and navi code are the same number. It will look like 4572 or 9035 or any other 4 digit PIN. They may have written the paint code or other numbers on that page.

If you are the original owner, it should be easy to find on the Honda owner link website. If you are not the original owner, it's not as easy on that website. A dealer can retrieve the code easily

My code was written on the first page of the service record book (there is a dedicated box called "radio code") hand written by the dealer.

My code was on a sticker inside the glove box.

FOUND IT: "AUDIO CODE" A FIVE DIGIT NUMBER? KEY CODE ALPHA,FOUR DIGITS

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It is too bad he did not go for the CVT fluid changes. But you can start now.
Indeed changing the cabin filter only takes a few moments, most spent emptying the glove box. There are threads here and YouTube videos on that.

The radio code is 5 digits.

You might want to double check on the suspension work. It could be that the dealer perceived the rev as an easy mark. (belief and all) they may have just wanted to increase the ticket as service writers say.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Once again thanks for the reply.

Last he did a CVT change was 14k miles ago, I'll have Honda do it again.
note to self make sure cvt filter is also changed http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/20867-cvt-filter.html

w/o looking at the invoices now At about 20k he did a throttle body clean. Then declined at about 60k, I'm not a believer in those, suppose to burn carbon , clean passages. at was it $150 or $400 , I have to check the invoice. I've looked at piston heads on a car at 90k that never had it with a Harbor Freight inspection camera and don't see the need?

On another note I have extra carfax report I paid for that will expire in is it 30 days, If you egads or the others that took the time and previously responded in this thread want a check on a car PM me the vin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts