Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Honda Insight which I purchased approximately 4 months ago with 19500km on the clock. While driving on the motorway (freeway) at or near the 100km/h speed limit I noticed the car is often charging the hybrid battery while under constant throttle/light-moderate acceleration. Fuel consumption is generally between 48-51mpg or 4.6-4.9l/100km. This is my first hybrid vehicle so I'm not sure if this is typical or I need to get it looked at. Help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow! That's some low mileage!

To me, that's better than typical mileage -- my 2010 gets about 42 MPG.

Does your battery ever top off? Mine will charge while accelerating if the battery is a bar or two lower than 50%. Maybe try to find some nice long downhill area to get the battery fully charged and see if it still does what you're saying.

Given how low your mileage is, the battery wasn't really "exercised" much before you got it which isn't ideal, but you typically don't need to worry unless the IMA light is on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That's some low mileage!

To me, that's better than typical mileage -- my 2010 gets about 42 MPG.

Does your battery ever top off? Mine will charge while accelerating if the battery is a bar or two lower than 50%. Maybe try to find some nice long downhill area to get the battery fully charged and see if it still does what you're saying.

Given how low your mileage is, the battery wasn't really "exercised" much before you got it which isn't ideal, but you typically don't need to worry unless the IMA light is on.
Yes I was surprised to find it with such low mileage for an 11 year old car!
And yes, the battery does top off, when driving it will often (but not always) force charge it to a full battery meter when it is only one bar below full to begin with. Almost as if it doesn't want to let the battery sit below an almost full charge. I also noticed when stopped at traffic lights with the headlights on at nighttime it will start the engine after only 15-20 seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I was surprised to find it with such low mileage for an 11 year old car!
And yes, the battery does top off, when driving it will often (but not always) force charge it to a full battery meter when it is only one bar below full to begin with. Almost as if it doesn't want to let the battery sit below an almost full charge. I also noticed when stopped at traffic lights with the headlights on at nighttime it will start the engine after only 15-20 seconds.
Given the low mileage, it's possible that the previous owner never took it to a dealership, which means software updates may not have been done... unfortunately I don't think there's a way to know whether they've been done or not as the end-user. I think there's one that addresses the car's performance when going uphill...? I feel like there's one that addresses the battery's behavior or that makes the Auto Off behavior more reliable, but I can't remember anymore.

I also find that my car starts and stops at seemingly random even when the engine goes in to Auto Off. Some people try to make it a habit of turning off the climate control before they stop since that can kick it in. For mine, I find that keeping the brake pedal pushed evenly helps -- if I come to a full stop and the engine goes Auto Off, but I push the brake pedal in further, it'll start back up. 🤣 It's a quirky car for sure, but I really love mine.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it when I said 42 MPG earlier, that's with Eco mode always off. I only notice that the car is even slower to respond when it's on, and I live at altitude (~5,000 ft / ~1500m).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Given the low mileage, it's possible that the previous owner never took it to a dealership, which means software updates may not have been done... unfortunately I don't think there's a way to know whether they've been done or not as the end-user. I think there's one that addresses the car's performance when going uphill...? I feel like there's one that addresses the battery's behavior or that makes the Auto Off behavior more reliable, but I can't remember anymore.

I also find that my car starts and stops at seemingly random even when the engine goes in to Auto Off. Some people try to make it a habit of turning off the climate control before they stop since that can kick it in. For mine, I find that keeping the brake pedal pushed evenly helps -- if I come to a full stop and the engine goes Auto Off, but I push the brake pedal in further, it'll start back up. 🤣 It's a quirky car for sure, but I really love mine.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it when I said 42 MPG earlier, that's with Eco mode always off. I only notice that the car is even slower to respond when it's on, and I live at altitude (~5,000 ft / ~1500m).
My 2000 Insight battery was constantly draining and force charging even with using a grid charger. It’s been 4yrs since I installed a new pack so I thought I might need a new one. Turns out my 12 volt battery was dying. As soon I replaced it the draining and forced charging stopped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2000 Insight battery was constantly draining and force charging even with using a grid charger. It’s been 4yrs since I installed a new pack so I thought I might need a new one. Turns out my 12 volt battery was dying. As soon I replaced it the draining and forced charging stopped.
I think that might be my issue too - the 12v battery has died on me and I needed a jump start to get going... I wasn't expecting that to happen in a hybrid car!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,111 Posts
You have to have a good working 12V battery for all of the IMA inter actions to take place.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
One of the things the software update addresses is forced recharging. I think it is worth the charge a dealer will want to do it. You want one of the best techs loading software, and they cost money. If you were in the US, a dealer would have to do it because it was a "campaign" (like a recall but not safety related. If you do take it to a dealer for software, make sure you get all of them. the others address how the trans works and another how the auto shut down at stops works. (like the jerk as the motor restarts and the trans engages)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts