Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With cool weather returning I reinstalled my lower grill block and I'm experimenting with a variable full grill block. I can see having the ability to see engine coolant temp is crucial.

Had my best mpg run going to work yesterday evening 9-19, (mostly uphill), 71.2 mpg / 47 miles (pic is on my dinosaur phone :mad:), with just the lower block and the variable air inlet. Ambient temp low 60's. Prior to reinstalling the lower block, couldn't crack 70 mpg, mid to high 60's mpg was best I could get. Immediate result with lower block (just put it back in the day before the run).

Will be interesting to compare with last years' cool weather mileage.

Edit: Had my best round trip commute yesterday (9-21), 75.3.

..Bob

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems that if I can maintain ect around 205 deg f and iat around 110 deg (give or take some minor fluctuation), nets better mpg. At least for my cvt. Still practicing and learning.

The brief return of warm temps put the experimenting on hold.

..Bob

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hmm, sounds like I should look at improving my warm-air/grill-block set up. There were times last winter where I would drop below 152 ECT. On my car at least, I need to hit 154 to get into lean burn and drop no lower than 152. So far, I'm only using the foam pipe insulation in the slots on the grill and fully blocked radiator with cardboard.

I just noticed the town you're in is not all that far from a friend of mine that I visited a few times around 2005. He lived in Ickesburg. I definitely feel for you struggling for mpgs out there; was NOT a fan of the terrain. It seemed to me that you were always going up or down right or left or some combination of those but rarely ever straight and flat.:( I will say though that it is some beautiful scenery out there.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diamond:

Yeah, Ickesburg not real far from here, east of Lewistown off rte 322. I've been out there on my part time job driving. The terrain is like around here, not much flat road anywhere. Back road driving is a lot of fun. I think maybe the hilly terrain is beneficial for the cvt with lots of downhill opportunities to capitalize on mpg. I would guess an mt would have difficulty staying in lean burn. There's a new mt owner in the area; I'm curious how he's making out with mpg.

I'm using the lower grill block too (foam), but also trying out a 'variable position' full grill block set up in front of the ac hp condenser. It's a crude cardboard experiment right now (pretty embarrassing to look at), but I'm finding out (at least for my car) that as soon as ect goes below 205 or so (like in the high 190's) for extended periods of time, the net mpg drops off. Takes a while to get decent data, with so many varying conditions (weather, road, wind, traffic, day / night, etc...) If I can keep the ect and iat up (I have pretty good control of the iat) I can manage more consistent mpg on my work commute (low to mid 70's round trip). With a one hour commute each way, I have lots of time to learn.

That probably doesn't sound so good for the mt owners, but comparing to other cvt's and my last years' mpg it's a decent improvement.

Still learning and experimenting.

..Bob

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Last winter I did the warm air intake mod with very little change in mpg, I.e. no measurable change. I think that blocking the lower grill does help slightly. With the lower grill completely blocked, upper open, no radiator block, the car will typically run 197 to 199, on hills hit 203 as long as the ambient temp is under about 80. Above 80 ambient then I have seen the temp rise as high as 207 at 65 mph speeds.

I tried to set my warm air intake for 105, but it actually runs about 107 rising to 113 sometimes, and dropping to 102 sometimes. It is good for around a max rise of 65 degrees. I need to insulate the hose some, and also insulate the intake plenum and runner from the air cleaner to the engine. The air cleaner is already insulated.

With the cooler weather I am now barely able to keep the mpg above 75. This tank might be the first tank in over 5 months that I don't make 75 mpg for the tank,sitting at 76.1 right now with 500+ miles on the tank.

I have not experimented with a radiator block, I figured as long as the engine was running at the normal 197-199 temps everything was ok. In the cold weather it sometimes runs at 195.

Keep in mind that last winter many mornings were at 0 to -10f on the way to work. At 0 f the intake air temp with the warm air mod could only get the temp to 65f or so.

About two months ago I started tracking the temp and wind to and from work. A year ago I was able to get to work on a a regular basis between 80 and 84 mpg, home was maybe 74-76 mpg. This year I rarely hit 82 mpg on the way to work, but I was getting 78-79 typically on the way home. After two months of plotting temp and wind I realized that the wind changes during the day, and on average I have a head wind both ways. It is possible that a year ago it was a little different and I might have had a slight tail wind on the way to work. I averaged about one mpg overall better this year per tank than last year for the summer months.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Try adding a bottle of water wetter to the cooling system to help maintain temperature with it blocked off. :)

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like the water wetter. I'll have to get some from California. ;)

As for the ect in the 190's, that's where I see the net mpg slide a little. If I can keep ect 205 or so (mine cycles up to 213) I can manage more consistent mileage. Iat seems to have minor effect if that makes sense. Earlier, I tried running iat up just to see how much increase I could get. I was able to raise it to 170 deg F. I found no advantage from the real high temps. I did notice that around 110 deg (in contrast to ambient) I was able to be more consistent with mileage. So I adjust to maintain around that temp. Now I want to find an ideal ect and try to maintain near that as well. By having an adjustable device for the rad block I can vary the temp.

It's pretty much guess work, but I figure if I can somewhat manage a couple parameters, (and reduce the variables) I have better shot at more consistent mpg.

..Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Mountain driver
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing