Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should the coolant temperature read with a ScanGauge? In my Gen1 I'm used to 197 Fahrenheit. At steep hills it goes up to 205F when the radiator fan kicks in. Back to the Gen2: it's winter here now but even with a lower grill block I'm reading 180 F around town most of the time. At 60 mph it reads around 200 F. Without a grillblock I'm reading 174-179 F and even lower in EV mode.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The HCH and Second Gen use a cooler thermostat... 175f instead of 195f in the Gen 1.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The cooler thermostat is better for engine safety (less headroom to boiling WT a hotter one) but worse for engine efficiency.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Keep in mind the gen 2 is 10.8 to 1 compression and a warmer engine needs higher octane fuel or more retarding of the timing for performance. If you watch the timing, engine temp and the butt dyno you will see once you cross 186 degrees the engine starts to take more throttle and pulls more timing.

At 200 low speed fan comes on, 210 or so high speed. If ac is on its on low already and when you hit 200 it flips to high speed. Ive seen as high as 230 in 110 degree weather with ac on, but no cel.

I normally run a full block in the winter and use the heater and cracking the window to help maintain temp.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
A co worker has an accord and says the same thing. The cooling system may have too much capacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts