Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my second winter in my 2001 MT with about 100k miles on it. Last winter killed my MPG and I was hoping to do something about it before this coming winter.

Can someone help me with what the options are to try to keep lean burn as much as possible in Winter (West Virginia)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This will be my second winter in my 2001 MT with about 100k miles on it. Last winter killed my MPG and I was hoping to do something about it before this coming winter.

Can someone help me with what the options are to try to keep lean burn as much as possible in Winter (West Virginia)?

Thanks
One thing i run all year round except for the warmest days is a warm air intake hose to above the catalytic converter area. Not shown in that diagrammatic image but the next one is a tinfoil roasting pan formed as a shroud around the cat to help funnel the warm air. . I monitored IAT temps with a gauge. I understand from reading that 110F/44C may be the an optimum working temp from some posts here in IC.
I note though from past VW targeted 86F/30C as desired intake air temp for winter engine air heating.
I've also moved the ambient air sensor closer to engine heat from the radiator and insulcated it from the wind as well.
Some detach/break the clip a distance back of the sensor that is holding the two wires and move it directly into the engine bay.
My mileages were terrible all the same in the winter for several reasons but lean burn did seem to initiate better with the above..

[Some duct tape was found useful at bends in the 4" hose line and where it ran flush with the engine cover's edge at a later point. Depends on material used for ducting.]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to try to both of these ASAP. I am already seeing an impact in the mornings with the cooler fall-like temps.

Thanks

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
AbCaRed00,

I put in the warm air mod this morning. Will monitor performance over the next several cool mornings.

With fall temps in the mornings now, I've noticed lower mpg. After the daytime warm-up, mpg back up.

I used flexible aluminum ducting (for clothes dryer), the roasting pan you suggested (wired it to the exhaust header flange), and some aluminum tape. (didn't tape the duct to the plastic air intake yet, just slipped it over, your thoughts on that ???).

Not a good fit along right side of engine cover, my a/c coolant hp and lp lines run adjacent. Had to 'deform' the aluminum duct to get the hood to close.

Your pictoral of the install was helpful. Thanks.

..Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AbCaRed00,

I put in the warm air mod this morning. Will monitor performance over the next several cool mornings.

With fall temps in the mornings now, I've noticed lower mpg. After the daytime warm-up, mpg back up.

I used flexible aluminum ducting (for clothes dryer), the roasting pan you suggested (wired it to the exhaust header flange), and some aluminum tape. (didn't tape the duct to the plastic air intake yet, just slipped it over, your thoughts on that ???).

Not a good fit along right side of engine cover, my a/c coolant hp and lp lines run adjacent. Had to 'deform' the aluminum duct to get the hood to close.

Your pictoral of the install was helpful. Thanks.

..Bob
Can you give me a feel for how this worked out for you after a few days....if you see a signifcant change in the mornings?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Can you give me a feel for how this worked out for you after a few days....if you see a signifcant change in the mornings?
Ya, sure will. I'm anxious to see how it pans (HA !) out. Cool mornings predicted the rest of the week.

..Bob

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
AbCaRed00,

I used flexible aluminum ducting (for clothes dryer), the roasting pan you suggested (wired it to the exhaust header flange), and some aluminum tape. (didn't tape the duct to the plastic air intake yet, just slipped it over, your thoughts on that ???.
I taped the soft dryer hose ducting to the plastic air intake on mine as the temps were better with it sealed in cold winter weather, but for hot spring days and summertime a gap with some fresh cooler air for intake would have been good on a couple of occasions. I left the end positioned over the catalytic converter 'loose' , just closed in on by the foil, which was easy to remove and reposition upwards and a bit sideways if it got too hot closed in by the foil.

fwiw: i used a few cm of the end of the bare end of the wire sticking out from the coil of the hose and bent down that wire ned to be contacting the catalytic converter's heat shield. This was to make the 4" flex hose stand off the surface of the heat shield. [Should add here, the thin silicone hose did/will melt if it is allowed to directly contact the heat shield.]

On such days where hot air intake temp was reaching 50C/122F [overly hot], all i needed to do to lessen the heat was to pull the 4" hose from the tinfoil and tip the ducting inlet upwards. That required all of a few secs and back on the road again. If there was a way to switch the air source on throttle demand that would be super, but the rudimentary system worked ok.

The hose I used was thin [thus requiring the reinforcing duct tape to prevent wear and abrasion from vibrations especially next the side cover and A/C lines and at the curve in front].My ducting was also squashed down flat/sideways a bit like a 'slinky toy' to fit the narrow space with tape applied at the edge to prevent perforations or tears.
I figured the cross sectional flattened area in the length of the 4" tube was no less than that of the the plastic intake tube in front of the engine over the exhaust runners..
I'm not sure if the extra length affects much as regards intake flow, as the first gen insight is very good in that dept; or if the tune of the pulsing that may occur in the intake system is altered. All seems well as far as I have determined.
The car is likely a small bit slower due to the increased intake air heat effectively making the engine displacement smaller, so that will help for better mpg to a point. I think sealing up the inlet to hose via tape vs. allowing access to cool air loose may work towards better economy in the very cold weather for sure. The ambient temp when the winter pic was taken showing IAT of 34C/93F was somewhere below -15C or a bit above zero F. Highway Roadspeeds can change that down quite a bit, but all sealed up it's really toasty in city traffic.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I taped the soft dryer hose ducting to the plastic air intake on mine as the temps were better with it sealed in cold winter weather, but for hot spring days and summertime a gap with some fresh cooler air for intake would have been good on a couple of occasions. I left the end positioned over the catalytic converter 'loose' , just closed in on by the foil, which was easy to remove and reposition upwards and a bit sideways if it got too hot closed in by the foil.

fwiw: i used a few cm of the end of the bare end of the wire sticking out from the coil of the hose and bent down that wire ned to be contacting the catalytic converter's heat shield. This was to make the 4" flex hose stand off the surface of the heat shield. [Should add here, the thin silicone hose did/will melt if it is allowed to directly contact the heat shield.]

On such days where hot air intake temp was reaching 50C/122F [overly hot], all i needed to do to lessen the heat was to pull the 4" hose from the tinfoil and tip the ducting inlet upwards. That required all of a few secs and back on the road again. If there was a way to switch the air source on throttle demand that would be super, but the rudimentary system worked ok.

The hose I used was thin [thus requiring the reinforcing duct tape to prevent wear and abrasion from vibrations especially next the side cover and A/C lines and at the curve in front].My ducting was also squashed down flat/sideways a bit like a 'slinky toy' to fit the narrow space with tape applied at the edge to prevent perforations or tears.
I figured the cross sectional flattened area in the length of the 4" tube was no less than that of the the plastic intake tube in front of the engine over the exhaust runners..
I'm not sure if the extra length affects much as regards intake flow, as the first gen insight is very good in that dept; or if the tune of the pulsing that may occur in the intake system is altered. All seems well as far as I have determined.
The car is likely a small bit slower due to the increased intake air heat effectively making the engine displacement smaller, so that will help for better mpg to a point. I think sealing up the inlet to hose via tape vs. allowing access to cool air loose may work towards better economy in the very cold weather for sure. The ambient temp when the winter pic was taken showing IAT of 34C/93F was somewhere below -15C or a bit above zero F. Highway Roadspeeds can change that down quite a bit, but all sealed up it's really toasty in city traffic.

I taped my metal duct to the pan, looking for max heat. Used aluminum because of concern of melting (don't need the smell of burnt plastic).

I like the idea of sealing the connection at the plastic air intake during cold weather, and loose/open for mild weather (right now it's just cool, high 30's to mid 40's F in the mornings.)

Thanks for the feedback, very useful. I will advise on performance.

..Bob

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Jury is still out, but leaning toward not much impact. Going to seal up the area where the ducting slips over the air intake and try some varying amounts of grill blocking.

Temps in the 40's and mpg down about 10.

..Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jury is still out, but leaning toward not much impact. Going to seal up the area where the ducting slips over the air intake and try some varying amounts of grill blocking.

Temps in the 40's and mpg down about 10.

..Bob
Thanks for the update. I was planning to work on mine in the next few days. Please let me know if you seen any improvement after sealing the intake.

Thanks

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Thanks for the update. I was planning to work on mine in the next few days. Please let me know if you seen any improvement after sealing the intake.

Thanks
Sealed the intake and put in some grill blocking. Gained 6 mpg.

Not sure how much affect the intake had vs the grill blocking, the combination is working well; temps in the mid 30's - low 40's.

Grill blocking done with black rubber 1/2" pipe insulation (Ace Hardware, cheap). Had to make some cuts for the 'slats' in the grill. Just stuffed them in, wind from forward motion holds them in place. Blocked the lower sections. Upper section just under the edge of the hood is still open.

Next is to move the ambient air temp sensor to the back side of radiator to keep auto-stop functional.

..Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any chanch that anyone has a picture of what they did with the pipe insulation as a grill blocker?

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sealed the intake and put in some grill blocking. Gained 6 mpg.

Not sure how much affect the intake had vs the grill blocking, the combination is working well; temps in the mid 30's - low 40's.

Grill blocking done with black rubber 1/2" pipe insulation (Ace Hardware, cheap). Had to make some cuts for the 'slats' in the grill. Just stuffed them in, wind from forward motion holds them in place. Blocked the lower sections. Upper section just under the edge of the hood is still open.

Next is to move the ambient air temp sensor to the back side of radiator to keep auto-stop functional.

..Bob
Wow, 6 mpg is huge, I need to get mine done this week. The cooler temps are killing my MPG and it just turned to fall.

I have a grid charger on the way also and need to get that set up also.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
See if these pictures are good enough:

Figgy's Insight

I shopped around for the pipe insulation some are gray and I wanted black. For the bottom piece just cut the insulation to length and slip it over the lower grill piece, you might need to run your finger in the slot as you slip it on.

Cut another piece that fits the upper rib of the lower opening. You will need to make a few small v cuts to properly fit the grill piece, take a look at the piece and you can see what I mean.

Even with the lower grill blocked I am losing about 3 to 4 mpg right now. I was lucky to make the 40 mile drive home today at 84 mpg? With a few days of rain, and darker mornings with the headlights on this tank is only at 77 mpg, will have to see how the next two days go.

I installed a block heater last fall and that also helps, I have it on a timer for an hour each morning before I leave for work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See if these pi turns are good enough:

Figgy's Insight

I shopped around for the pipe insulation some are gray and I wanted black. For the bottom piece just cut the insulation to length and slip it over the lower grill piece, you might need to run your finger in the slot as you slip it on.

Cut another piece that fits the upper rib of the lower opening. You will need to make a few small v cuts to properly fit the grill piece, take a look at the piece and you can see what I mean.

Even with the lower grill blocked I am losing about 3 to 4 mpg right now. I was lucky to make the 40 mile drive home today at 84 mpg? With a few days of rain, and darker mornings with the headlights on this tank is only at 77 mpg, will have to see how the next two days go.

I installed a block heater last fall and that also helps, I have it on a timer for an hour each morning before I leave for work.
Do you use the warm air mod also?

Also, just curious how much does a block heater cost...roughly?

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See if these pi turns are good enough:

Figgy's Insight

Also, thanks for the nice Pics!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think that the block heater was $40 or so, but you have to drain all of the antifreeze out to install it, a mess, but not very difficult. You MUST follow the proper air bleeding procedure or risk overheating your engine and ruining the head.

I don't have a warm air mod yet, I bought the hose, made a sheet metal shield and plan on using hose clamps to secure it to the cat shield. I bought on eBay a few days ago a Honda civic 1984 air cleaner and plan on using the temp valve from that, similar to what joecvt did:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/16862-just-installed-hot-air-intake-2.html

If you run the hose like some others have between the engine and radiator make sure you don't chaffe any of the lines that the hose sits on. Some have cut those lines.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that the block heater was $40 or so, but you have to drain all of the antifreeze out to install it, a mess, but not very difficult.

I don't have a warm air mod yet, I bought the hose, make a sheet metal shield and plan on using hose clamps to secure it to the cat shield. I bought on eBay a few days ago a Honda civic 1984 air cleaner and plan on using the temp valve from that, similar to what joecvt did:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/16862-just-installed-hot-air-intake-2.html

If you run the hose like some others have between the engine and radiator make sure you don't chaffe any of the lines that the hose sits on. Some have cut those lines.
If you put the warm air mod in sometime soon I would love to see some pictures on your web page...I need to see things, reading does not seem to help me much....thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts