Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insight is having cooling system issues. No cabin heat, engine overheating when over 2000rpm. I know the radiator had a leak in it I'm just not sure if it still does. I used a radiator sealer so I'm not sure if it completely sealed the leak and/or if it has now clogged my heater core or other parts. I'm also not sure if the thermostat is working correctly.

So anyway aside from needing any advice I can get. I need a digram of insight's cooling system. I'm having a hard time finding the thermostat and I'm not sure if I found the right hoses going in and out of the heater core.

I think I'm going to start with flushing the system and seeing if I can get the heat working again. This I think will undo my fix for the radiator and I'm looking into if I want to replace it or have someone try to weld it. I'm just not sure how to check the thermostat so any help there would be great. I just might replace it anyway since the car is almost over 200,000 miles and the part is only about $20.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
That radiator sealer stuff has a tenancy to plug up the cooling system if it is poured in too quickly. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. If your radiator is leaking I would replace it. The one in my car was corroded, but not leaking, so I bought a new generic replacement for $120, took about 1 hr to swap out and runs great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$120? Where did you get it and what brand / model was it? Honda quoted me about $350 and I found the same model Honda replacement from a discount direct dealer for about $230. Were there any issues getting the fan and shroud back on?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I believe it was from http://www.radiator.com, I will update this post if I find the invoice.

The online quote was actually about $100, but once I got them on the phone the best I could get was $120 plus about $10 shipping.

The radiator was brand new, can't remember the brand. It had the automatic transmission cooling connections, but since I have a standard I left the plastic plugs in to keep the bugs out. It was a direct replacement, so no issues with anything not fitting.

The old radiator was so corroded the cooling fins were brittle, and would turn to powder if touched. Air flow was also being restricted.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
zerix01 said:
My insight is having cooling system issues. No cabin heat, engine overheating when over 2000rpm.
You probably have an air bubble in the cooling system. If coolant is drained (or enough leaks out), the system needs to be purged with a complicated procedure. I'd suggest you get a service manual. Don't know how to explain it here...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I drained roughly a gallon out of my system when I changed my radiator, and was able to put roughly a gallon back in. I didn't have any issues working the air back out. I would simply fill until full, let it idle, and occasionaly give it a little rev, then add more fluid as the level dropped, it took no more than about 10 minutes to refill. I was also sure to recheck after driving it the first few times.

I suspect you may have plugged something with the sealant. When I helped a friend clean his system out we disconnected the radiator, pulled the thermostat, and flushed the whole system with a garden hose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I helped a friend clean put his we disconnected the radiator, pulled the thermostat, and flushed the whole system with a garden hose.
lol, okay well I was thinking just using some off the shelf flushing fluid, does that stuff work? And where would I find the thermostat? It's really the last thing stopping me from continuing.

Also how much coolant does a full cooling system hold? I know the radiator cap shows 1.1 on it but is that gallons? Is that just the radiator? Any suggestions as to how to dispose of the antifreeze?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
the garden hose flush was on a Pontiac, I haven't pulled the Insight thermostat, so I can't tell you. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
uhtrinity said:
I drained roughly a gallon out of my system when I changed my radiator, and was able to put roughly a gallon back in. I didn't have any issues working the air back out. I would simply fill until full, let it idle, and occasionaly give it a little rev, then add more fluid as the level dropped, it took no more than about 10 minutes to refill. I was also sure to recheck after driving it the first few times.
Once the cap it off, it's helpful to open the heater all the way up (temp at 90*), and let the engine idle until the fan cycles twice to ensure all air is purged from the systems. Unless it was summer, 10 minutes probably isn't long enough to ensure the thermostat has cycled.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
It was summer and the engine was still warm. So it didn't take long.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Insight's cooling system has a bleeder nipple. It's been a couple years since I changed the coolant so I don't remember any specifics. Basically, you need to hook a short hose and a funnel up to this nipple (it's small) while the engine is running. The coolant circulates and the air goes to the highest point in the system (the nipple). When you don't see any more bubbles, your good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
radiator

if you check the temperature of the hose coming into and out of the radiator as the engine is running you can tell if the radiator valve is open when both sides of the hose get hot... as long as only one if hot you either are not opening the valve or you have a clog.

an Air Bubble in the system can be a bear to get out.... the air blead valve for the coolant system is located in a position that has to be the highest position of the coolant system or it will not work.... which is fine if you are in a mechanic shop... but if you are doing this on your own outside then you need to get the height.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts