Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a 2000 insight with 56,000 Km on it. I took it for a test drive and it ran smoothly. However,
I noticed that the battery indicator on the right of the dash was showing what seems to be a low level of charge at 9 bars. The MPG reading was 53 MPG or 4.4 L/100km. The owner says that he uses the vehicle 75% city /25% highway. Could this be the reason the state of charge is so low? I had test driven another 2000 model and the indicator was almost at the top level of charge. Is the battery level an incator of the state of the battery? I would really like to buy this car but I am worried about this. As for the rest of the car its seems to be in very good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Les, the battery level indicator shows the level of the charge in the same way that a fuel level indicator shows the level of gasoline. If you have a hole in your tank and can't fill it more than half full, that's a problem, but usually a low level on the gas guage just means you need gas. The IMA charge indication can drop almost to zero if you are climbing a hill, driving agressively, or experiencing a recalibration event (commonly refered to as a recal). (If you were checking to see how much pep there was in the engine, well yes, that would also deplete the charge.) A battery indicator that never seems to get topped up might indicate a failing 12 volt battery (the small lead acid one up front) as this puts a steady drain on the IMA system.

What is the lifetime MPG of the car? Note that this is expressed in US gallons not Imperial gallons, if you are Canadian. Is this a 5 speed or CVT?

The IMA battery can be charged up by running the car in neutral at high RPMs for several minutes but this really wastes gas. A 15 or20 minute ride at a steady cruising speed should see the IMA level gradually increase.

If you let us know where you are located in a general sense, there may be a member here who can help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts