Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of reviews on the Insight that say it doesn't handle well, and one that said it doesn't corner well. Anyone think this is true? I rutinely fly around curves at double the posted recommended speeds,(except when the road is wet), and think the car handles incredibly well. I think the reviewers just haven't driven it long enough to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I suspect that the reviews of the Insight handling, while technically correct, are of interest mainly to automobile performance enthusiasts, the kind that read "Car and Driver" and its ilk (I think that magazine used "humpty-dumpty" to refer to its handling). As opposed to the rest of us.

That's fine; what bugs me however is when they smugly report "only" getting 50 mpg after hauling *** in their Insight around a test track and use that to reject the notion of saving gas money with the Insight. In fact, real-world reports (such as this site's MPG database) show that the EPA estimates for mileage are fair and can be exceeded by very large margins.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
what bugs me however is when they smugly report "only" getting 50 mpg after hauling *** in their Insight around a test track and use that to reject the notion of saving gas money with the Insight. In fact, real-world reports (such as this site's MPG database) show that the EPA estimates for mileage are fair and can be exceeded by very large margins.
Heck, I personally think that getting 50mpg while hauling *** is pretty good, no other car can match that. I really don't try to do many things to enhance the Insight's mileage, I drive it like a normal car and still easily get over 50mpg, which is why I like the Insight so much. But you're right about the handling comments in Car and Driver, its an enthusiast magazine for sports car buffs mainly, and in comparison to say a S2000 or something like that, the Insight's handling is lacking. But for what it is, the Insight is a well balanced car on the road. Some of the editors of the magazine Car and Driver acknowledge that fact, Patrick Bedard, one of their editors, and Brock Yates, curmudgeon extraordinaire, both seem to be fans of the Insight from what I've read.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One review where they said it didn't handle well was in Consumer Reports. They also said they managed 51MPG combined driving. This was in their annual car guide and said the last test was in 2001. The other report that said it didn't corner well was at arstechnica.com, which is apparently a site about pc's, but for whatever reason they were reviewing the Insight. I didn't see any review in Car And Driver, but if a sports car handles better than the Insight, man could I have some fun on the curves around here!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Tim. Overall, a pretty good review.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bah. consumer reports gave the insight a zero (out of ten) for rear seat comfort because....

.....it _has_ no rear seat. Already, they should have merely left out that section of the report rather than giving a zero.

Coincidentally, in their report, the Insight comes in ten points lower than the average car; is there something weird here?

Bah. I never liked consumerreports anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts