Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costco has the QuickJack 5,000 pound lift on sale at $999, delivered. 5 day sale, members only.

·
Registered
130 Posts
niiice!!! I've actually been on the market for one of these... Thoughts? Would this be a high quality unit that will last a lifetime?

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
boojum, got a direct LINK?

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I love mine.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I want one of these so bad. But I'd have to cart to 75 lb sides up the stairs from my basement to keep them in my house. My next place is going to have a dang garage :mad:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is two separate pieces joined when assembled for use. Does that help?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
My next place is going to have a dang garage
If you have a garage you're going to put in a real lift. Just how high do these lift the car that is any higher than a jack and jack stands? The first two pics in that link are fake, the wheels on the Mustang and Camaro should droop down when lifted. The Audi looks real but the tires are just a few inches off the ground. What's the point? I can get my cars higher driving the front up on ramps, then jack stands at the rear if I need all 4 corners off the ground.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If you have a garage you're going to put in a real lift. Just how high do these lift the car that is any higher than a jack and jack stands? The first two pics in that link are fake, the wheels on the Mustang and Camaro should droop down when lifted. The Audi looks real but the tires are just a few inches off the ground. What's the point? I can get my cars higher driving the front up on ramps, then jack stands at the rear if I need all 4 corners off the ground.
Because I'm not going to install a "real lift" in a one car garage with an 8 foot ceiling?

My options for a garage look like this:

·
Registered
226 Posts
You guys are funny. That’s why I love this forum. I can have my car jacked up on wood blocks as high as I need in about ten minutes. Is it work? Yeah. At my age I need the exercise. A power jack might be nice. My 100 + year old house in Sellwood outside Portland Or has a tiny garage about Ten feet wide by 14 ft. Still, my insight fits. Thing is it shows signs that it once had a grease pit, now filled in. I don’t know how the guy got down there with a car over it but it sure looks like there was one there, seams and artifacts in the concrete floor don’t lie to an old contractor. Still, I guess I much prefer jacking it up out in the driveway. More room to crawl in and out from under it. The yoga of car maintainance.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
$2,300. The Costco seems better to me.
By price or quality? Over 20 years it's $5 a month more. The higher lifting height would be worth it to save your back. Also, BendPak is a commercial grade lift. Guess it depends on what you're looking for and your budget.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
The scissor jack blocks access to the middle of the car. With the QuikJack I have access to everything under the car with a creeper.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The scissor jack blocks access to the middle of the car. With the QuikJack I have access to everything under the car with a creeper.

Sam
Additionally, lifting it higher when you can't stand, or even sit under the car, doesn't really help your back IMO. You're going to have to be lying down anyway, lifting higher is just going to give you more gorilla arm

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
The BendPack brand in the ad or video, I’m pretty sure isn’t manufactured by them. If you do a lot of research there is an overseas company that seems to manufacture all of this particular lift, then they just paint them the color and put the decals on them for the company.

We have one of the same exact units in the shop only it’s black in color and doesn’t have any manufacture decals. When we bought this one about 5 years ago, it was roughly $1500/1600.

The unit is heavy and the video makes it look easy to move. It needs to be on a smooth surface to move it and it still is a bit of work. It is also very low to the ground. We have a set of 2”x8” planks double stacked that are on either side of the lift that we actually drive on top of, it makes it much easier to set the lift arms on low cars.

The unit lifts about 5’ which is nice. When I do things like work on car doors I can stand and put it at the level that is very comfortable. I also, do body and paint work and when straightening the side of a vehicle you tend to do a better job as it is at level you can see better and again it’s more comfortable.

The two lifts are very different and both have advantages and disadvantages.

Scott

·
Registered
226 Posts
My sincere apology for my boneheaded insensitive remarks of a few days back.
We all definitely need a safe way to get our cars off the ground to work on.
Given each of our different situations having different lift options is necessary.
What i should have said is that blocking an insight off the ground on wood blocks can be a safe cost effective way to do that. Providing you are comfortable using the scissors jack the car comes with. If you do use wood blocks the following is important:
A broad base, at least 8 inches square.
Use blocks free of big cracks or checks.
16 inches is probably the highest stack that is safe to use.
Check the stability of your setup before crawling under the car by giving the car a couple good shoves.
Block the tires still on the ground as you start to jack up the car.
Do this only on a reasonably level flat surface.
Because of the weight distribution of the insight the front jack position will lift the whole side of the car fairly evenly allowing you block both the front and rear jack positions at the same time. Position the jack at the far front of the front jacking point and you can get your blocks in behind the jack at that point.
Work carefully. Be safe.
Get your blocks by cutting your own from framing lumber ( 2x10 ) and or plywood. Or pay a carpenter to cut them for you.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
I haven't heard that word in a very long time. "Carpenter", as far as a job description. It brings back a lot of memories, and quality work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts