Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum.

Starting today Costo is giving $80 off a set of Bridgestone or Michelin tires. The Bridgestone RE92 tires (item# 482639) are $59.99 each, installation and tire disposal included. That's $240 a set minus the $80 discount, for a total of $160 plus your states taxes. From my experience, Costco doesn't have many different tires in stock and would probably have to special order these. Placing an order online does this automatically and shows the discount. If you aren't a Costco member you can still place an order online and pay 5% more (12.20 in this case).

Costco's web site quotes a total of $173.60 for me in Virginia (compared to $225 for just the tires at tirerack.com). Too bad my tires still have most of their tread. Hopefully this will save some of you some of your hard earned money. I'm indebted to the posters on this board. I wouldn't have bought this great car without the knowledge found here!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome, and a big thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Wow good find. I had my tires replaced at Costco a few months ago, and I can't complain. No scratched wheels or anything. Just take the skirts off, and don't assume they'll get the air pressure right. You do have to special order them, but it took them one day to get them for me (there is a firestone warehouse in Phoenix though). The whole 9 yards is included in the price that you get on the checkout on the web page. Plus I got to experience the road hazard warranty they give, I picked up a nail, and they fixed it free. They even let me back the car out of the bay when it was done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Costco tire shop

Yeah, got mine at Costco, too. But watch out, they like to hammer on the regular weights. Seems like they should have the stick on weights, and they probably do, but they didn't use them on my car.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
They used stick on rear weights on mine too, I would have been irrate if they'd have done that or scratched my wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Checked with Costco today and they don't have the Bridgestones on sale in Canada right now. Apparently they have about 2 sales a year though.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Rick said:
They used stick on rear weights on mine too, I would have been irrate if they'd have done that or scratched my wheels.

What do you mean "too"? The previous poster said Costco used hammer on wheel weights.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sorry, I was still under the effects of anastesia on monday (toncillectomy), that must have been typed wrong. They used the proper stick on the back weights on my wheels, not the hammered on ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This was great news to me since the night before you posted I had a blowout on my insight and the other tires could use replacing. THANKS!! I am going to order them today.

NOTE: I decided to try the Civic VX rims and tires on my insight while I was waiting for the potenzas.

OH MY!! The Insight runs just about as gutless as the Civic VX. Well I traded out the rims and tires and the Insight rims sure do look good on the VX.

Maybe I should do for the VX what the Insight has. Insight rims on the VX with Potenzas, what do you think? :shock:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You'll be much much happier with fresh rubber on your car. It will ride better and be a lot quieter too. Not to mention the fact that they'll probably only put 30 psi in the tires, the ride home will be nice quiet riding bliss.

As far as the VX tires aren't those wheels 13's? I believe they make a 13 inch version but I don't know that it would be LRR. I think the Insight tires are made in Japan whereas the rest of the Potenza line is made domestically. Might be worth a shot anyways though, they're on sale right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, Costco said they doubt that they could get the tires and I should get them somewhere else if I could, so I did. but now Costco said that they chased some (4) down and they would be in a week from this thursday. I won't be getting them now so anyone needing new tires Costco on Grant in Tucson will have some in a week from Thursday.

Also, the civic VX got 10 miles to the gallon better with the insight rims and tires. And the usual uphill climb at 45 was made at 55. It felt a whole lot lighter. Now, for you math people, figure this.... The VX has 175/75 R13 tires (13 inch rims, as Rick said), the insight is 165/65R14's as you all know. So....what would the TRUE increase in mileage and MPG really be? :?:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That sounds more like a Costco employee not knowing any better to me. You go on their web site and they will ship the tires to whatever Costco you want them sent to, then you go there and they install them. In fact, Firestone has a warehouse here in Phoenix. Costco's web site quoted me 7 days, they called me the very next day saying they had gotten them in already. I don't know how many they stock there, but they do have them stocked normally very close to us.

As far as the tire size difference the Insight package is 3.8% too small so at 60 your speedometer would read 57.7 (Miata tire size calculator http://www.miatanet.com/garage/tirecalc.html So about 4% off?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep, Costco deal is done. BTW, some Costco stores have touchless tire mounters, but you have to specifically ask. There is one in particular on the other, rich, side of town that has the touchless mounters and they also have nitrogen for their Ferrari customers.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I can't beleive Cosco. They are (among many other compagnies) taking Canadians for granted.

When I pasted by Cosco yesterday, I was given a flyer that said:
$10 rebate per Bridgestone tire

So this is $40 per set of 4 while you lucky USA guys get a $80 rebate which is about $105 CND
Not only do you get the tires for less (regular price) but you have a bigger rebate. Grrr!! to Co$tco

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well we aren't getting this deal anymore, it's over. So it's Grrr to Costco in Canada for giving you guys a deal now and we aren't getting one. Especially since I need new tires now!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Resist,

We are getting the rebate after you guys, it is not a second time around to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Resist, I'm not exactly sure how the touchless tire mounters work, but they basically have no risk of the front of the wheel getting scratched what so ever. I think they're a pretty expensive machine, but for the right market (Ferrari's) I'm sure it's worth it to the tire place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So overall, Costco is just inexpensive and not cheap? IE they just cost less, not that you'll be regretting getting the tires with them in a few months?

I ask because, even without the sale, I've got quotes from $239 + 5% surcharge (at Costco) to $460 (at NTB) for the same four tires and installation, without tax. Oddly, the Honda Dealership is at the lower end of the range at $289. I wouldn't have expected that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts