Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@ 10-A-SEE ME

Love your avatar. That 6 row beauty has air conditioning, filtered air cab. How many pounds per hour? How much does one cost? Does it drive itself??

I grew up on a small cotton farm in NE Mississippi some 60-70 years ago. Me and Elvis 20 miles apart. In those days a good picker could pick about 250 pounds of raw cotton in a day. 6 man days for the approximate 1500 pounds to gin a regular 500 pound bale(seed are heavy). Hired pickers started the harvest season at $2.50 per hundred and were glad to get the work. When the high harvest season started, they got $3.

I used to pick them up in the partially loaded pickup truck before daylight. Pickers wanted to pick as early as possible, while the dew was on the cotton, because it was a little heavier. So dawn to dusk for about $8.00.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
750,000+ Is the price on those pickers . Yes they do drive their self. That way the man driver can stay on the cell phone most of the time. I have a 1940s cotton bag scale. Try to use it for arm wrestling practice. I've got books from the 1950s my grandparents had to keep up with what people picked.

Henry Louis Gates on PBS showed books from the 1850s on one of his programs. How much the slaves picked. In a day.

My dad was a workaholic he had several 400 pound days back in the 50s .

Today we make three bales to the acre just to break even. King cotton is worth $.60 a pound.chemicals fertilize seed machinery cost are high like going to a doctor. Past five years had good weather. It's predictable a bad one is coming that will put a lot of farmers out of business.

One more thing I went to Washington DC when I was 15. Smithsonian Institution had an old red cotton picker in the museum. I thought wonder what it looks like inside those doors. It was the same technology as in 1976 that it still is today 2019.

What actually picks the cotton in a cotton picker they got it right along time ago. A stripper is a different story though .

·
Registered
217 Posts
I really should let Nathan use this avatar. He's the go to man on Cotton. I may
post a video of the drone showing the picker in action in the field.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
In my car I've got little wheels mod gas line del pas seat no wipers 12ft undertray

Wait till you hear about my cotton picker mods?

·
Super Moderator
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today we make three bales to the acre just to break even. King cotton is worth $.60 a pound.chemicals fertilize seed machinery cost are high like going to a doctor. Past five years had good weather. It's predictable a bad one is coming that will put a lot of farmers out of business.
Wow, Three bales to the acre. Back in my day in NE MS hill country, 1 bale was considered GOOD cotton. 10 to 18 years old, I hoed my rows. Now days, the field never sees a hoe - chemical instead. Do you irrigate for the 3 bales? Some really good land around that part of west TN.

Used to be that cottom would wreck the soil in 10 years or so. My dad did some of the first genuine soil conservation in the county - planting winter legumes and rotating crops.

·
Super Moderator
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What actually picks the cotton in a cotton picker they got it right along time ago. A stripper is a different story though .
Stripper cotton is so dirty. Used to be that the price for stripper cotton was much less than clean, white, long lint. Folks would strip at the end of the year when the cotton was short and already yellow. Why would anyone strip these days?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Actually this year was a rotation year. We had soybeans which yielded about
60 bushels per acre. We followed with wheat for the winter months and will
see how the market is in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Today we defoliate the leaves with chemicals. In Sweetwater Texas you don't see cotton pickers locally. Farmers around here go there and pick for them. But I have seen nine strippers in one field. If there is no leaves the cotton looks pretty good. Behind a stripper. They are much cheaper to operate and buy than a picker

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We have cover crops. Radishes vetch winter wheat peas buck wheat. Our fields are green right now with cover crop .no money in it for us but it preserves Agriculture for the coming generations. Yes we have seven irrigation rigs.

But the last five years the weather has been very cooperative. About every six year is a doozy on average.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A few years back. I could benchpress 400 pounds. We had a hydrostat go out under the cotton picker. Instead of jacking the hydrostat up into place.I laid on the ground they sat the hydrostat on my chest and I bench pressed it up into place

It rockEd A little on the way up if it fell in my face I would not be here. Better to use a jack.

The cotton pickers from the 70s were smaller.2roll pictures but the back wheel of the picker sitting on the trailer scale at the gin was 3000 pounds. My brother could pick it up 3 inches high and hold it. Yes he could lift 3000 pounds.

and I was the strong one.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Itwouldtake6or7of today's people to pick15 hundred pound 0f green cotton probably more. In one day.One hand they have a bottle of water the other hand A cigarette in the other hand a cellphone and then a lot of breaks .our best daywas 240 bales 86 acres.

So on our best day it would take over 1400 people to do what one picker does.it burns about 120 to 150 gallons of diesela day depending on how wet the ground is.

an average day would be 60 to 75 acres depending on how small the farm is travel time between farms on Highway.

If you paid 1000 people a day $10 an hour to work that would be $100,000 a day to pick cotton. It won't be long a cotton picker will cost $1 million. Because it is so much cheaper than labor .The picker uses about $400 a day on diesel. How much money in food would 1000 people eat.

If you fed them only one meal and it was a impossible burger $10,000 .how much is 1000 candy bars and 1000 Dr Pepper Or RC Cola - Big red - Orange crush - Grape Nehi Root beer Mr. pib Pepsi tab 7-Up sprite or the real thing Coca-Cola .

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is my understanding that one person on this thread flew an airplane over
a girl's house, and tried to throw roses out to land in her yard. It seems that the
pilot was unsuccessful in this endeavor. I think an Insight may have been more
appropriate for flower delivery if this scenario were to repeat itself.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had to use an airplane to be able to get above her ego .
But my plane would only fly above the clouds?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’ve got huge respect for all the farmers in this country! My wife grew up on a dairy farm - and I realize how much HARD work and risk is involved. After becoming a teacher, my wife always thought that if she could send some of her problem students to a farm - they would straighten out and realize what genuine hard work really is.... Thanks to NathanC and all our farmers!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
This may not show up well, but it is a picture from the 1960's on our farm
when the cotton was picked by field hands.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Back in the day - A farmer would have a wood lot to heat his home . Firewood - then you got your cows hogs and chicken you have a lot for them and buildings. But you got to raise enough corn to feed them . And you eat your live stock. So there was no cash he didn't make money on that. Cotton was the cash crop . You took it and sold it for money. If you go further back before machines you had people that Were in the animal business horses beast of burden To work the fields.

So on 100 acre farm. 5 acre woods For firewood . 20 acres for live stock Plus or minus -30 to40 acres of corn your home 3to 5 acres . And then you might have. strawberries squash okra tobacco pecans whatever you wanted. Nobody was the same and the cash crop would be cotton.

If you had a lot more land than that sharecropping . Most people had as many kids as the Walton TV series everybody had to work a lot.

Pond scoop You use that and some big ox to have a pond for drinking water for the cows An frogs.I worked for a man 10 years ago he had his great granddaddy pod scoop he showed me the pond they dug back in 1901. I've got one just like it and I know where the pond is it was used on.

And a lot of people had a Family graveyard plot. There is one half a mile from my house . All that stuff has been forgotten today. The big new guys have bulldozed the family plots and raise cotton on them now.I know one place The graves are there but a irrigation rig goes over it.

The things you hear about Farmer's daughter was true. If a guy came through with a car and she could live in a city get away from all this terrible work she gone .

she left the suds in the bucket and the clothes hanging on the line. Beautiful Sara Evans country song

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My granddad and father grew up in the manual labor era.by the time I was 10 years old tractors ruled the day.that's why I put TVs in the tractors I drove. My dad would say we did all this by hand when I was young all you Gotta do is sit in the tractor so we would work to midnight. He would go and buy extra lights to put on the tractors so we could see better . That's why I was delayed on how you act around folks. I was always in a tractor. When I would dream at night In my room I could see the cotton rows moving under my bed. My room was just a small Cottonfield .

When Cotton farms were smaller people would go and build houses. They were also Carpenters .when tractors became widely available. You might have 250 farmers in Crockett County in 1930s.1950 only 60 today it Would be hard to think of 20 farmers .

And in the next 20 years it will get down to only five or so. Today were not carpenters to try and make ends meet. We have construction jobs like I'run a bulldozer and dirt pan.other people raise hog houses or Tyson chicken houses . Other folks have semi truck businesses. In other words farming sucks . Seeds fertilize chemicals labor is so high and our product we sell is worthless. It don't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
  1. Farms are getting bigger in West Tennessee. Why? The original landowners are dying out. Irrigation rigs are becoming more abundant .so a doctor might buy three or more small farms Side by side by side remove all the old boundary lines or fence rows put in a irrigation rig and rent to a farmer. Why ?
Because they make a ton of money with insurance payments. There's nothing to invest in. So they go with land. A irrigation rig 20 years ago would pay for itself in 7 years and last 20 or so .it probably takes 20 years to pay for it's self now if it ever does .

If you have a diesel tractor motor to drive your water pump it takes a lot of diesel. We had 500 gallons of diesel stolen A few days after purchase. We can only put enough Diesel in to run one night. Because of crooks.

If you have electric motor the electric company charges huge amount of money for the transformer. And last year they went sky high on a rig we converted back to diesel. So we've got a $500 transformer that we paid $8000 for that we're not using. Farming sucks ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts