Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Owners....
I was doing some research on state-of-the-art sound proofing material - surfaced this new 'polymer' product at link: http://www.quietcoat.com/index.html

The website demo has this stuff quieting both a gong and a cymball. Carefully applied here & there....could this potentially work to quiet down the cabin in our little jewels?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds as if this stuff works pretty well, but they resorted to two parlor tricks to make it seem more impressive:

1. Watch the video again and see how hard he hits each gong. He really thumps the untreated gong hard, then just taps the treated gong.

2. Using gongs and cymbals to begin with is questionable, at best. While these can tell you something about the soundproofing material, the fact is that because of the way gongs and cymbals work, almost anything attached to them will silence them.

Let's see these guys do a more objective demonstration such as measuring the decibel level of the interior of a car being driven at highway speeds with and without the soundproofing, or the decibel level of music being played from inside or outside the car.

The type of demonstration done here only raises red flags about their willingness to be honest and up front with you about how well their product works.

Just my opinion ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a great suggestion! I just sent them your paraphrased email, headed: "Do a Sound Test on a Honda Insight!!! - That'll Prove Your Product Beyond Question". I'm anxious to see if they muster to the challenge.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Doesn't Dynamat make a similar spray on product? Seems credible enough, but compared to just putting in some sheets of a sound deadening material what a mess to apply a liquid, probably with a spray gun too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts