Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wondered for a while where the battery pack vents it's hot air. Well, for you folks in the know, Ok, just buzz on to the next topic, but for noobies and others unaware, the venting is thru the under side of the 'can' the IMA system is contained in. At the bottom side of the can, above the spare tire. You can feel the rows of holes that are there if you want, by carefully (sharp edges may be in effect) running your fingers along that surface. Now if you have taken out the interesting soft sided cargo bucket / bay / sack / thingie that holds your usual stuff over the spare tire, and stuffed the whole area revealed with clutter, you could indeed be keeping a lot of the exhausted air from getting out to that little vent on the passenger side of the rear cargo deck area. If you've had the sheet metal covers off, like for IMA work, you can put your hand behind the plastic grill that's over the 'hollow' area on the right side of the spare tire area. No ductwork involved, the air just flows thru the space. The grill on the driver's side vents outside the car, for cabin ventillation.

The voltage converter / motor drive heat sink dumps it's heat right on outside the car, underneath. You can see this on our 'encyclopedia' page http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... nents.html and looking closely under power control unit cooling fan you can, in fact, see the vent holes in the floor of the can.

Anyhow, didn't expect to win the "excitin' new trivia award" with this, but might save a pack rat's battery someday. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Let me see if I understand what you're saying. The air from the battery goes down into the spare tire space, then out into the cabin through the vent at the back of the car, on the inside of the luggage compartment, on the passenger (right) side?

If so, if I put my temperature sensor by that vent, I'll be reading the temperature of the battery cooling air? (After a bunch of other potential cooling or heating during its trip from the battery compartment to the vent.)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The DC/DC converter is the largest heat producer in the IMA case. It's ducting is seperate from the cabins.

Apparently Honda decided that the IMA batteries cooling will be sufficent to include it as part of the cabin's flow thru system. It is a long an circuitous route and when under a heavy thermal load will not be as efficent. The cabin's flow thru exhausts in the right upper corner behind the rear bumper (SM p.g. 20-81 & 61)

I think what WayneM is saying the if you pack too much junk under the removable cargo area you can restrict this needed air flow space.

There will also be added heat from the raident losses of the DC/DC converter and other smaller additions at that point. So its not the best choice for IMA battery monitoring.
HTH! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little flow

Dougie:

Very little air flow can be detected at these vents, or the intake vent either, by just poking a hand close by. Kinda awkward, putting a hand over the intake grill behind the passenger seat while driving. For just a general compartment temp, it's dead easy to run a probe wire into the base of the box from underneath, but without taking the lid off to exatly position the probe, it's just going to be a random hit for the area.

As Trekker said, the point is that if one crams the area full of stuff like when going on a trip and scroungeing all available cubic inces of space, at some point there will be enough obsruction of air flow to become a problem. Some of the folks have blocked off the radiators (in winter I hope) to gain back thier MPG in winter, but that ain't working for the battery packs :!:

I've added an intake filter to my car's battery compartment intake by using the latest type replacement filter material for home window air conditioner units. The stuff has no effect on air flow (at least when clean!), is made of a nylon-like mesh material that is white to transparent, washable when dirty and sticks itself to the carpet. I added a few bits of velcro bristle side to it anyway to help with the holding in place and seared the edges with a lighter to keep the unraveling down.

I read on one thread that someone had taken apart a battery pack that had failed from heat. The thing was full of dirt and pet hair. My car's former owner apparently had a white cat or something, and that stupid fur is in every crack and crevis in the car :roll: Personally, there's nothing more dangerous, distracting or annoying as a loose kid or pet while driving. :evil: Anyhow, maybe this little filter idea will help the life of my new battery pack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Little flow

Wayne M said:
...nothing more dangerous, distracting or annoying as a loose kid or pet while driving.
our doberman fits in the back of the insight. thanks for bringing that up.
from now on, i'll attach, by means of a leash, her harness to the kiddie-tiedown on the rear panel. really ought to have been doing that all along anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts