Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I dont get it... what for... it just adds weight, and also you have carpet on you dash!!!!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Edwin came with it from the nice previous owners. I believe it was from Honda, and it is custom with the little slots cut for the air and sensors and stuff.

It hardly weighs anything, so I don't worry about weight at all.

Jane doesn't have it, and driving around all the time in Edwin and Jane both I kind of like the fuzzy carpet Edwin a little better than the plain Jane Jane.

I haven't gone out and bought one for Jane, however, so you can see that I like it A BIT better not a whole lot better.

It reduces glare a bit and it keeps the dash out of the sun so that it doesn't wear out from the sun.

It's a positive, but a minor thing overall for me.

p.s. If my GF tried to steal it and put it in Jane instead of Edwin, I would cry.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I just looked at that link for the one above and it is not the same one as the one I have. The one they sell is grey and more carpet like than the one I have in Edwin.

I am not sure if I like that one as much, but it is hard to tell from just the picture.

I do like the cargo net which I got from the same on-line store.

If you don't have the cargo net, it is a nice addition and works very well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dash-Topper

hey Chachi,

there are a number of companies that make dash covers. AVOID DASH-TOPPER!!! I called them after I got mine - the passenger side airbag cover wasn't cut right. I returned the whole thing for repair, when I got it back, it still wasn't cut right. When I called them again, they told me that I'd had it too long, and they wouldn't do anything else for me. They claim (on their website) to guarantee satisfaction - don't believe it.

That said, I do like dash covers - they cut glare from the dash and also protect the dash. Most manufacturers offer you a choice of carpet or velour. If you want a dash cover - just do a web search for "dash cover" and check out the links.

·
Registered
303 Posts
dash covers...

Hey Jim, you should contact the Better Business Bureau about DashTopper.

They're a big thing in Arizona, so I (reluctantly) had them in my previous two cars. I didn't like it visually; it reminded me too much of a seventies van and I had to right the urge to put a Crown Royal crown on it (j/k). That and the first thing people from outsize AZ did was say "Oh cool!" and rip it off the passenger-side airbag cover.

They collect lint and animal hair as any carpeting would, but don't interfere with vents or the airbags (speaking from experience) when installed properly. I used ones manufactured by DashMat, and followed their instructions--that is, let it lie on the dash for a week or so before velcro-ing it down.

Outside of a sunny area, I'm not sure what their value is. I just use a silver windshield shade when I park outside on a nice day now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If your worried about the dash fading there are other ways to save it than putting an UGLY cover on it. Using a proper cleaner conditioner for the surface like Meguiar's #40 vinyl/rubber cleaner conditioner will add uv protection to it and help preserve it. Plus if you ever go to remove it there's always that residue from the velcro backing against the dash which is usually impossible to remove without tearing away some of the material.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks, jsanford. Dash-Topper doesn't appear to be a member of the BBB - at least they don't have BBB Online on their website. I'm not too worried about it. I'll stop at the fabric store one of these days, get something that matches, get the sewing machine out and fix it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uv protect

thanks for the info rick....I'll try it out I love Meguiar's stuff after that carpet cleaner

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Haha, and it should get even better come the first few months of next year. They are working a product for cleaning all interior surfaces that specifically adds uva and uvb protection!

BTW, you might want to go back over with a try towel and wipe up any excess #40 left over. The Insight dash can be made too shiny fairly easily and cause a lot of glare if your not careful. I use their bulk dressing and I dillute it down 3:1 with water just so I don't get much shine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts