Honda Insight Forum banner

Craigslist Adverts Posting Poll Options

• Leave it as is and let members post in the general cars for sale area as they wish.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Start a Craigslist subforum and allow members to post/discuss in this new area.

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Restrict these types of post to a single active thread.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is one thread supposed to handle multiple listings?
This is a very unrealistic way to compromise.
We need to be able to have 1 thread for EACH car advertised so we can comment on the merits or lack of merits that each Craigslist ad has.
Because of my postings at least 2 people have purchased cars that would have gone to others without me posting these.
We should be making it as easy as possible for our members to find these ads....not religating them to one rambling thread.
There has to be a better way than this..

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
There has to be a better way than this..
There might be, but we haven't found it yet. We have not found a way to add a "topic" line such as the eBay topic. Agreed, that would be ideal.

For now, use your imagination. The "new posts" button above will always show the first ref to the "CL" find. From there, you can use various references to the car, such as the permalink # or a descriptive term such as the "NJ" car. Try it. I'm sure you will figure it out.

BTW, shoppers can always find cars on CL by using Search all of Craigslist nationwide - Onecraigs. It will show the available cars on a nation wide basis.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution:
Why not change the Polls section (which has all of 2 threads with 4 total posts) to the "Craigslist finds" section.
Us wanting a Craigslist deal have our own place and those who want to pimp their own cars without the dilution of the low priced "deals" have there own place.
Or you could even call it the "Craigslist fixer upper" ad section.... but members looking for that fixer upper or repairable cheap Insight deserve a section to look for "finds" and besides those members looking for deals come check the forums "new posts button" more often and that should mean more posts on other topics too.....
It is a Win/Win if you want more Member traffic and more readers of other posts.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Solution:
Why not change the Polls section (which has all of 2 threads with 4 total posts) to the "Craigslist finds" section.
We do not own the site. There are limits to what we can do. This proposed solution is no easier than establishing a dedicated "topic" for CL repostings.

The IC administrator and the moderators are all volunteers. No body is getting paid to fight these battles with the site owners. The new compromise solution is workable, so drop it. Enough said;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've talked with the owner of autoguide.com. ( ie owns this site) He's more than reasonable. An additional subforum in the forsale area is an easy sell. Its going drive more potential traffic here. Plan and simple. Not sure why it can't be done. Isn't the OP an administrator?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
My take

I agree with Jime and my admin time/rights/knowledge of VBSEO are limited, but if the owner autoguide want to do as has been requested that's up to them.

If the active topics and todays posts lists becomes saturated with craiglist etc ad's of no relevance then I can see my interest waining. Remember this is an international site we don't all live in the US.

My keeping those type of post's in one thread they only occupy one line on the active topic list which is fine IMO.

I have started a poll on this subject.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/polls/39313-craigslist-sub-forum-thread.html
Autoforums can then hopefully act on the majority verdict.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
OK We have a debate going on about whether we should have a a Craigslist subforum for members to post new threads for each vehicle they find for sale, or whether they should put these posts in one active thread to avoid them diluting the other content.

So the poll options are.

1) Leave it as is and let members post in the general cars for sale area as they wish.

2) Start a Craigslist subforum and allow members to post/discuss in this new area.

3) Restrict these types of post to a single active thread.

The Poll will close in 30 days and you can only vote once.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
How is one thread supposed to handle multiple listings?
This is a very unrealistic way to compromise.
FOOS, totally agree. If the owner of the site will put in a craigslist subforum (voting option #2), then we can list the cars that we find that we feel are good potential buys and will help members of this site check the listing and do their due diligence. How many times is a CL "deal" placed on here and everyone is stepping all over themselves trying to buy it (the $1200 Lynn, MA insight)? Why would anyone want a deal like this to get lost in some multi-page thread? Well if you had a car that you wanted top dollar for then we are making it a little tough with the CL exposure.

I'm biting my lip so hard its bleeding not to say any more but I just don't understand the haters that just can't ignore a CL ad and complain or members/sellers who overprice their car and hate the deals that many of us are posting. There are very few CL ads reposted here with no relevance....most are deals that deserve some attention especially if the CL ad was within reasonable driving distance to a prospective buyer.

I'll continue to buy regardless how you set this up but not from overpriced members/sellers.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Me, Id say not allow it. Ive had bad experiences with craigslist and the news in my area is full of people getting screwed over using that service.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Me, Id say not allow it. Ive had bad experiences with craigslist and the news in my area is full of people getting screwed over using that service.
I agree with Cobb. I think the best course for most IC members would have been the fourth choice, which is not offered - bar Craigslist cars from reposting. I don't think that Craigslist is a reputable source of good cars, particularly bought at a distance. This is no handicap at all to anyone who wants to look on a nationwide basis at what is available on Craigslist. Just use OneCraigs at:

Search all of Craigslist nationwide - Onecraigs

OTOH, IC sellers are a better class. They have the benefit of good counseling on maintenance and support issues, so it is very reasonable to expect that cars offered by IC members are of better quality. That viewpoint has largely been substantiated by the examples which come up. IC is a high quality forum - keep the reposting and the spamming off the site!

In a thin market such as the Gen 1 market, the posting of cheap unverified cars provides undue downward leverage to force prices down on good cars offered by IC members. It isn't apples vs. apples, but many buyers will try to make it so;)

That is my take, along with Cobb and Eric, probably others. I just think the reposting of Craigs list has no place on IC. The info is readily available in other ways.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Majority result

Looks like the result is a majority of members want a new subforum for craiglist ads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts