Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adjusting the tappets on a 2000 Gen1 and was turning the engine over with the 19mm crankshaft bolt. I went past TDC a bit at one point so I turned the crank counterclockwise and the bolt came loose!

I pulled the crankshaft pulley and found that the key was ripped off. The pictures show the bad pulley and a good one. I checked past threads and, indeed, this has happened to others.

I see that in the printed shop manual (6-14) the torque is 14 foot pounds plus 90 degrees. With such a torque description that would indicate a one-time-use TTY (torque to yield) bolt but the manual doesn't indicate that the bolt should be replaced. The manual says that the bolt size is 17mm which is wrong. Could they have missed noting that the bolt should be replaced? The bolt is really hefty and it would take quite a bit to make it yield.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Gen 1 or gen 2? Yeah, not a good idea to roll the crank or cam in reverse. Could create slack in the chain or belt and cause it to jump a tooth.

Back in the day, I saw co workers at a chrysler dealer "fix" broken bolts by squirting some RTV on them and screwing it back in the hole it came from. :evil:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, if I go backwards I always go past and forward again to take up any chain slack.

Well, I got the pulley replaced and it is a pain in the caboose to tighten without the special tool that holds the pulley. I ended up rigging something up using the "spokes" of the pulley.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
All you had to do was put it in gear and have someone hold down the brake pedal.

HTH
Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Ya, if I go backwards I always go past and forward again to take up any chain slack.

Well, I got the pulley replaced and it is a pain in the caboose to tighten without the special tool that holds the pulley. I ended up rigging something up using the "spokes" of the pulley.
If the special tool is the same one that other Hondas use, you can borrow it free from the parts places.

Sam

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried that Willie but the whole drivetrain acted like a spring. It was scary-awkward with the breaker bar wanting to unwind about 270 degrees with force and it was hard to tell I was getting the 90 degree turn I was after.

I didn't use the brakes but put screwdrivers in the rotor slots so the calipers would stop the rotation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts