Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hummm...that is interesting. I guess the computer could always "watch" where the throttle position sensor is when the brake circuit is activated. It also wouldn't be too far fetched for there to be some type of "calibration curve" so that the computer would expect that the throttle was closed and it could start to set up regenerative power. If those two conditions were met, hitting the brake with the throttle still slightly open would certainly "skew" the curve and seem to make the re-gen come on at an earlier time. Keep us posted on the behavior.

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK, I have attempted to duplicate your conditions. Just after a local rainstorm (coincidence!) I took the Insight for a short drive around the block. Held it at about 20 MPH and lightly rode the brake for about 5 seconds.

I calculate your figures of 4.8L/100Km and 3.7L/100Km to about 49MPG and 63.5MPG respectively. We averaged about 58.7 MPG on the last tank of gas. The bad part is that my car was just filled up, so I won't have the "same gas" comparison.

One note of interest is that you do not get regenerative braking in this scenario...clearly, the computer gives priority to the position of the throttle versus application of the brake.

I will report back as the "experiment" progresses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting...I was going to delay post until I had some "actual" numbers...but since it popped up:

On June 9 (see earlier post in this thread) I attempted to duplicate the same set of circumstances observed by Yves. So far the MPG for this tank (which is about 3/4 gone) is ~58.9 in mixed driving. Which is pretty much equivalent to the last tank.

I also had a chance to take the car on my 50 mile round trip commute to work. I achieved 75.3 MPG on the loop. My personal best so far is 76.0MPG. There was light rain and wet road conditions for the first half of the 75.3 MPG loop while the conditions on my "best" were excellent for the entire loop.

So far, I have not seen anything that I would consider "significant" in the form of mileage gains. However, as I have pointed out and say again...my test was far from scientific. Also I was getting nearly the mileage normally which Yves claimed his car jumped to.

Lastly, Yves...About the regen braking. What I found with my car was when driving down the road, throttle slightly open, and lightly stepped on the brake (RPM ~2500) no regen braking. As soon as I would lift on the throttle (ie ECU would see 0% open) the regen braking would kick in until the engine RPM fell below the cutoff point.

If you are seeing regen with the throttle partly open, is it possible your TPS is mis-adjusted or the ECU is not getting the correct voltage (ie faulty wire?) Generally TPS voltage is ~.5V closed and 4.5V at WOT. IF you had a high resistance connection, bad ground, etc... that voltage may be reduced and the ECU would think the throttle closed earlier. It could be a situation where a component is faulty and giving you poor mileage, while the "fix" is just getting everything back to normal for a while.

I will admit that I am not a big "featherfoot" but my car still manages 55-57 MPG on the interstate (70-75MPH), 70-75MPG on the secondary highways (60-65MPH), and about 60MPG around town.

I will give "The Yves Method" more testing with the next tank of gas. Keep us posted on any additional discoveries!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.