Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a creaking sounds when I go around corners that have a dip in them (like a gutter you go over.) The creak moves across the front of the car as I straighten the steering wheel. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

G

·
0 Posts
YES! creaking from front (and back)

i have the creaking in the front and sometimes in the back. it happens when i go over small dips and bumps in the pavement at low speeds. i generally do not hear it at speeds over 30 mph . . . it might be happening, but i am not hearing it

i cannot replicate the sound by pushing the front end down and letting it bounce back up while the car is standing still

i'm certain the sound is related to the suspension and not the steering

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: YES! creaking from front (and back)

e-male said:
i have the creaking in the front and sometimes in the back. it happens when i go over small dips and bumps in the pavement at low speeds. i generally do not hear it at speeds over 30 mph . . . it might be happening, but i am not hearing it

i cannot replicate the sound by pushing the front end down and letting it bounce back up while the car is standing still

i'm certain the sound is related to the suspension and not the steering
That describes it perfectly. Anyone know what is causing it? I have about 80,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've had the creak ever since the car was new. Suspension noises are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. Essentially you need to lift up the car and then push/pull on the suspension members until you find something that sounds like the noise. Then lubricate and replace as necessary. This is VERY hard to do since the whole suspension geometry changes when the car is lifted.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had the same squeek/creak from the front suspension for a while now. I notice it most when going up onto the driveway. If anyone figures out what it is, let us know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kapps said:
If anyone figures out what it is, let us know.
Please.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i was told

it was my brakes.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car does the same thing. It squeaks from the front when going over dips and turning, in particular. I have 105,000 miles on a 2000. It has been happening as long as I have owned the car (25,000 miles).

Trunkout, what do you mean it was your brakes? I'm having a "click" sound coming from my front end when I either start moving forward or backward. It does it both going straight, and turning, although it is more pronounced when turning. I'm pretty sure it isn't CV joints... Any ideas?

·
Registered
338 Posts
well

my rear brakes have always made a popping noise....they need brake dust cleaning quite often I was told and noticed on my own.

I have found that my front end does NOT creak when going over bumps....as long as i'm OFF the brake.

·
Registered
338 Posts
GeckoInsurance said:
I'm having a "click" sound coming from my front end when I either start moving forward or backward. It does it both going straight, and turning, although it is more pronounced when turning. I'm pretty sure it isn't CV joints... Any ideas?
now that DOES sound like CV...... :(
you better have that check....at two shops if possible.

If heard that sound too many times from too many Hondas.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems like my car is picky. The click started about 20,000 miles ago, went for a few thousand, and then stopped until about 2 weeks ago. Sometimes it is more pronounced with more weight in the car. The strange part, though, is that I'm not hearing anything now or for the past 2 days. It is really inconsistent and I don't hear any clicks while turning, accelerating, or braking. Can you think of any reason for it to be inconsistent?
Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
GeckoInsurance said:
Can you think of any reason for it to be inconsistent?
Thanks,
David
Given similar conditions and sharpness of turning (weather isn't too much of a factor with worn CV joints) your symptoms don't indicate that the noise is CV joint related.

What it could be still remains to be seen. As with most "noises" that are car related the "heaviness" of the sound is critical. If it sounds like big pieces shifting then the potential for it being serious and unsafe is much greater than a light flutter. Just remember some noise problems start off soft, and get louder. And when it does it could have been big pieces at fault all along...

(but such a pattern in the automotive world is not the norm)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another interesting note is how hard it is to have someone else hear the same thing as you. I had a friend sitting in the passenger seat while I was trying to replicate the sound, well... it didn't work very well. The same thing has happened at a dealership I took it to. Sometimes it won't stand to be replicated.

I guess we are the most critical of ourselves, and naturally, our Insights. I've driven it enough to know "normal," the service shops don't have that luxury.

I am glad to have confirmation that it isn't CV related, I keep coming back to suspension, but that is really hard to check. If/when it comes back, I'll be sure to post what a service shop says. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Your welcome. :)

Then add the dimension of having to write the noise description. :)

VERY difficult and from my experience in here rarely sucessful. There's simply too many different ways to qualify a "noise" to accurately describe it. (and no a .wav recording won't help either :p )

But a CV joints abnormal sound is distinctive and reproducable (beyond the earliest stages). So IF it ends up being your CV joints the pattern will emerge. And their almost always well behaved with several thousand miles of LOUD complaining before failure.

HTH :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
CV joint arthritis can be caused by a tear in the rubber boot allowing water and dirt to get into the joint and wear it out. Inspection won't cure the problem but may locate the cause if you have an inquiring mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a repeating clicking sound that I thought was a CV going, although I couldn't see any tears in the boot, it happened at slower speeds when turning and seemed tied to the wheel's rotation speed. It apparently is the wheel hub and wheel shifting slightly, and according to the dealer is a frequent problem with the AL alloy wheels. It can get worse after you rotate the tires. They fixed it for a few months by applying some special greese to the hub, it came back though. I just got 4 new tires and the sound has gone for now, but I expect it'll return.

For odd sounds, I do have a squeek that happens from inside the cabin that has been there since day 1 (MY2000, 75K miles). It happens when I cause a weight transfer forward or backward, like lifting off the gas or accelerating slowly.

There's also a groan that happens on rough pavement at lower speeds (less road noise so you can hear it I figure), it seemed to show up after the dealer did an oil change. Anyway, I'm off to the dealer now to have that checked... it sounds like a lose panel, hopefully nothing major.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts