Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to make my first post a call for help... I just bought a used 2010 Insight, and it has developed an intermittent creaking (not squeaking) sound from the drivers side wheel when I come to a stop. It also makes it if my foot is off the brake, moving slowly (5mph) with the wheel turned to the right.

Any guesses as to what this might be?

Edit: sorry Mods, looks like I accidentally put this in the 1st generation thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Moved to 2nd Gen.

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the forum thread referral. After watching a bunch of videos I finally came across one that looks like it describes my problem:

Based on the video comments, I’ll try lubricating/replacing the brake pistons. It seems like that is the only thing that can make a creaking noise when braking.

I will update after I get my hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
After viewing that video , that's not a "creaking", that is a "clicking". Something loose?

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think the pads can last so long tha one might need to “service” the front brakes inbetween replacement. In our other Honda the dealer once did this because the front brakes rattled. Turns out that the pins needed grease. In our 2010 Insight, one of the front pads got stuck and wore almost completely down. If that one hadn’t, the front pads would have lasted to 80k at least. Cobb, a mod & poster who has decamped these parts found a stronger return spring. Might be worth searching for that part number. In any case, I guess you will report back what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've gone to several different shops. Nobody can pinpoint where the creaking is coming from. I've replaced the wheel bearing, no luck, replaced the brake pads, no luck. Three different Honda dealerships can't figure it out.

The noise seems to be coming more from the front center of the car. It's more difficult to hear when the window is open. Can be very clearly heard when braking next to a wall. The noise is only present at speeds under 10mph. Much louder when braking, but the volume isn't consistent. Sometimes it's very loud, but the next minute it could be soft.

I may give up on it for now and just wait for something to break. Four different mechanics have given it a green light as not problematic. If I find the time this summer, I may go ahead and replace both brake calipers as a next step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
NE10
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing