Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There are more OBDII codes than blink codes. IMO making blink codes a measure of last resort. Many more specific OBDII codes must be grouped in a "generic" blink code.

Ther only place such is published is in the FSM, Fuel system chapters in the OBDII code chart pages.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,
The reason for the question is that I am exploring a new scan tool that I just bought, and it seems to report all of the 5 digit generic and OEM specific codes, but I can't seem to find any document that explains that a P1447 (example) means battery pack failure, except for postings on IC and other forums by people that had the code read by a dealor. Once the codes get into the OEM range, the code must be related to a specific car and model, so no standard OBDII chart will help.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
Once the codes get into the OEM range, the code must be related to a specific car and model, so no standard OBDII chart will help.
Correct. There can be a superset of "OBDII" codes that are "technically" not part of the OBDII set or definitions. For such you have to also know the make and model to identify its meaning. ;)

AFAIK makes and models that have "blink" codes; such are a sub-set of OBDII codes and can have multiple meanings that their OBDII counterpart would indicate more specifically.

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts