Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Rostra cruise control kit installed at Techni-Car, Inc. in Oldsmar, FL. $315 plus tax, and it works great! Just a heads up if anyone is looking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
How does your mileage compare between your own driving and with the cruse control?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rostra/Technicar

That what I got and where I went! great isn't it? Look for my black Insight around town.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the update. I installed one myself two weeks ago and am very pleased with it. I installed quite a few of these back in the day on VWs, this kit is much better than most aftermarket units I've experienced.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rostra Cruise

Hi Devin,
Had the Rostra Cruise on my '00 5 spd. As I remember there was some difficulty retaining LB/P on highway, on an overpass (hill), assist came on, LB/P off. Believe some with the MIMA have had excellant results with the Rostra.

On my '04 I used Cakley's throttle cable cruise control. Dial in the mpg you want and feather the gas pedal for hills.

Either way, Iv'e found on real long trips without either, my foot cramps up from holding the pedal deftly for mpg's. Enough that your ready to chew your foot off. 8) Since I have Mikes MIMA I'll probly go with the Rostra for Babe. With it you have full control of assist and regen to keep it in LB/P. The Rostra also maintains a steady speed, not irritating the motor heads behind you. :? Hope this helps, Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rostra cruise control

Valiant118 said:
Thanks for the update. I installed one myself two weeks ago and am very pleased with it. I installed quite a few of these back in the day on VWs, this kit is much better than most aftermarket units I've experienced.
I installed mine also. Worked for a couple of weeks before it quit. I got a replacement unit but it still didn't work. I tried reconnecting everything but still no luck. What kind of connectors did you use? I used the standard tap-in blue ones. For power, I used the fuse box brass tap-ins that are put on the prong of the fuse and then push back in the fuse. It was extremely confining at the computer but I thought I connected that wire ok. Do you have any photos of your connection work? I don't know what type of place could even troublshoot the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi,

I had warrenty work on the CEL / cat converter almost 3 years ago, and as part of the "troubleshooting" the Honda super tech disconnected my cruise control. I subsequently put the car in storage for about 2 1/2 years.

Now that the car's out of storage, I would like to reconnect the Rosta Cruise control. The problem is that the Rosta instructions where "lost" when a basement storage area flooded.

I really need a wiring / installation diagram to get the cruise back up and running. I would appreciate it if someone could PM me with a copy or even mail them to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
wiring diagrams

go to Rostra's website and email them. They should be willing to help you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rostra cruise

Hi Kevin- welcome back. Here are a few links that might help. I was hoping Rostra might have the install manual on their site, but I couldn't find it. They don't list the Insight as one of the models they have online info for.

If you can't get the info you need from one of the write ups or from Rostra, pm or email me - I'll dig out the Rostra manual and email it to you.

I think Tom's write up has all the connections...

http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm

http://insightcentral.net/owners/mods/cruise2.htm

http://www.rostra.com/technical.htm

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rostra Manual & Connectors

Well, the Rostra manuals can be downloaded from their site:
http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm . Scroll down a little and click on "Electric". Scroll down to "download service manual" and click. There they are. The wires in the Insight are of a very small gauge, may need the red (instead of blue) connector adaptors for good connections. Blue connectors are too big for the small wires. If you look under the dash at the fuse panel, up above it but part of it, you'll see two unpopulated shielded male spade connectors. The one on the right supplies switched 12 vdc, be sure to check with your volt ohm meter. Please let me know if this helps, Jack

·
Registered
364 Posts
Cruise for the Tour

Was deciding to use Cakley's cable cruise control or the Rostra servo. Since I'm running MIMA/PIMA decided on the servo as PIMA can be tuned for it.

The Tour's a little over a month away so nows the time for me. Long drives, after about 5 hours on the raod I'm ready to gnaw my foot off. Found the Rostra at a good price here, about half way down the page;
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/roscruiscon.html
Parts that should be in the kit for an Insight;
250-1223 Servo cruise control
250-1483 Wireless RF controller
250-4325 Throttle adaptor
250-4206 Clutch switch
Was planning on documenting the install, but found someone who already did. And did a real good job too...
http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm
I'll be using a variation of this install to get around the turbo parts. Also, when I did the intake air temp sensor mount to the charge pipe I went and stuck it just where the additional throttle cable will go, oh well...
Must have been a senior moment...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rostra Cruise in a Turbo Insight

Cruise control is in, most details in the reply just above this one. Basically, there's enough stuff under my hood now I needed a shoe horn to custom fit the cruise control. Took awhile but ended with a nice clean install. Put the controller remote on the LEFT side of the wheel so MIMA/PIMA and the cruise could be manipulated at the same time, if need be... Posted a few pic's under my "WWW" place, "Turbo & Exhaust Mod Two". Now when I ponder the 1500 mile trip to the Tour de Sol in May, my right foot doesn't get nervous... 8) ...

Some notes:
Cruise harness color coded wires. Brown wire goes to switched 12v, no, it's the black wire. Violet wire goes to the vss signal (ECM connnector C[the blue one], pin 5). There is no violet wire. Fortunately the wires themselves have the directions stamped on them for where they go...

Ran harness for the cruise around drivers inner fender well. Drilled 5/8" hole in firewall for harness to go thru and sealed it with provided putty. Drilled hole exactly 3" towards drivers side of where internet directions had harness go thru, cleaner install.

No directions for install of the controller remote. Don't need to remove the drivers air bag (SRS) assembly. Just gently pry the back steering wheel cover out a little and you can slide the mount for the controller on.

All the parts that are supposed to be included in the kit for an Insight ARE in this kit... :D This version has all the bells and whistles you'd want and it does look OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts