Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying? I pulled it out of a 00 1st Gen and took every bit and piece I could from the kit. I didn't cut any wires with the exception of 3 that were spliced to the harness. I took all brackets as well. The yard was asking $48 which I thought was a bit high for a kit that might not even work. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
WHO manufactured that cruise control kit?

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
It doesn't look like an older Rostra like I have in my donor car. It doesn't have the usual stalk control of the Rostra.

I'd steer clear. Cruise controls take a bit of effort to install and you don't even know that it would work.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Why is vacuum-driven bad? I was thinking of using a vacuum-driven actuator from another vehicle.
I've had both, and electric actuators are more consistent and reliable. It can be hard to find a good/sufficient vacuum on some cars too (although, I haven't tried on an insight)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had both, and electric actuators are more consistent and reliable. It can be hard to find a good/sufficient vacuum on some cars too (although, I haven't tried on an insight)
Awesome, thanks. I once had a really great aftermarket vacuum-actuated DIY cruise control kit some time ago that I moved across several difference vehicles and it worked better (held speed dead on) than any other OEM cruise control since. I was concerned that the Insight might have an issue providing the vacuum.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I haven't tried it on the Insight either, but the engine by design operates at high throttle settings which correspond to poor vacuum. It's more efficient that way. Basically a car makes no vacuum at full throttle, and in the Insight your at nearly full throttle in 5th gear just going down a flat road. So I imagine a vacuum driven cruise control would work very poorly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts