Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I live in the state of Oklahoma and this is the news channel that I watch every evening at 10:00pm before leaving for work. I saw this story in real time, I believe it was around May 25th 2005. I am mentally preparing an email to KFOR offering them a closer view of the Insight and its capabilities without cryogenically freezing anything. This person was in Missouri and I'm sure they probably got this story off the dish, instead of face to face. This process is beyond the (any) average persons means. I have only done the warm air intake mod up to now, and I am getting excellant mpg results(see my sig). I will also bring up the fact that the 50 mpg mentioned in the story is either at 100 mph or with a lead foot topped out in 3rd gear. My intention is to make them aware of the everyday capabilities the Insight has and is available to a greater audience.
What this chap has done is all well and good but mass appeal is IMHO non existant. MIMA has a better chance of becoming a factory option than freezing engine parts, there again IMHO :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering how simple the actual process is... is it just a case of dumping said parts in to a tub of nitrogen overnight, or something more complicated...

As to Honda carrying out such a process, i think it's highly likely, they already subject engine parts to other numerous exotic treatments.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have no idea if the theory is correct but don't believe you could freeze all the parts. Metal contracts and expands and a temp change to that level I would think would be dangerous. Afterall the two rovers on Mars had trouble dealing with the temp variation and they were designed to deal with it. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
224 Posts
Whoa :!: This could be the best thing since cold fusion and room temperature superconductivity, not to mention MIMA and perhaps even flubber! :wink:

It would be interesting to hear some more specifics about how the process actually changes the material properties.

If he's found a way to reduce or elinimate defects in metal crystalline structures, he may indeed be onto something potentially very big.

'Any chance you might be able to sneak into that garage, Highwater?
Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to wait to find out if this is for real or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject but cryogenic treating parts is a real benifit. I have an e-mail buddy that was a skeptic so a friend of his offer to do a batch of parts for free. He sent in a gun barrel, disposable razor, rear motorcycle spocket, and other junk. He gave me specifics that I don't remember but the gun barrel was approx. 77% more accurate, the disposable razors lasted 3-5 times as long, and the motorcycle spocket he still hasn't wore out yet. All of the things he sent in were very different materials and improved in all ways. cryogenic treating also normalizes the material and reduces stress. I.E. rods and rod bolts, engine blocks and valves all benifit greatly because they don't carry the stress after machining and cryogenic treating. One cryo place I know of will do whole engines but they warn that all tollerances bust be checked after treatment. As far as the process, it's not as easy as throwing the part in liquid nitrogen. They have to bring the part down and up in temp slowly at a specific rate for the total mass or volume of the part. Maybe someone else that knows more will chime in and school us all a little better.

Todd

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fascinating!
While I think I understand the benefits of stress relieving work hardened metal alloys, this is the first time I've heard about this being done at cryogenic temperatures.

Considering that cryogenics have been used for many years to facilitate assembly of metal components with interference fits, it's surprising that this process wasn't discovered a long time ago.

While it would seem that improved dimensional stability could enable some engine performance improvements, particularly in the valves and cylinders, I'm still trying to understand the specifics of how the fuel economy can be increased by 13 to 20% with treated spark plugs. Perhaps the testimonials were a bit of a stretch?

What's the old saying here: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true?
'Hoping to do some more research and to hear more about this on the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm about to have the engine rebuilt in my 85 Dodge W150, it would be interesting to test these claims, of course I still don't know what the costs are or who could do it around Montana. Btw my old 4X4 Dodge with a 318 gets 18mpg consistently.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Call me a cynic, but since he is claiming 120 miles per US gallon:

1. He should be posting his mileage as a hypermiler on this site.

2. He should have an official Guiness record for mileage.

3. He should have easily won the $5,000 USD prise at Tour de Sol.

OK, the rasor blades sound plausible, and perhaps there is so much money in them that he has no time for the above.

Too many people have worked too hard to improve the efficiency of the Insight, with some success I might add, for me to accept something that sounds that miraculous without proof.

Show me the proof and you will turn me from a doubting Thomas to a John the baptist in a heatbeat.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds like something we need to shoot off to the Myth Busters (the show on discovery channel). I could be wrong here, but didn't we kick a guy off this site a long time ago who was claiming he could get more power out of the car by cryo freezing the motor? :oops:

I sware it wasn't me, but it sounds familiar. I would think we'd see a lot more cryo freezing if it really did make that much of a difference we'd see a lot more of it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't know about that guy. I mean, according to the story (if I understood my quick glance through) he averages about 50 mph, and has been known to do 120? Big deal - I average 70+, and can get 150 over 20 miles or so any day you want - provided I get to pick the 20 miles :)

As to the cryo-tempering process itself, it might work as far as increasing strength & hardness, but I can't see how that could possibly translate to increased mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts