Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of good condition CR-Z seats in my local pick and pull junkyard. I washed them up and they came out great. They are heavily padded and have great support for lower back compare to the stock Insight seats or even the RX8 seats I had before. There are some very reasonably priced seats on http://www.car-part.com/ , I'd suggest to pick them up sooner than rather.

I weighted the driver side seat, I didn't weight the passenger side.

The inner rail lines up the two bolt holes, have to drill two new holes for the outer rail.

Parts needed:
2x 12mm x 1.25pitch x 30mm length bolts
4x 8mm x 1.25 x 60mm length studs
4x 8mm x 1.25 round bottom nuts

Both seat belt buckle bolted right on, passenger side seat belt bolted right on, you'll have to use a little creativity to bolt on the driver side seat belt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Any way to cut out, say, 15 or 20 pounds from each seat somehow? I've seen a set or two around but the weight has kept me from moving forward. Plus I don't find the stock seats to be that uncomfortable, but I like the look of the CRZ seats.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Taking out the airbags splits the difference. You might be able to take out some more weight with some of the crash safety features simply not available in the Insight seats - for instance, the head rests push upward and forward in the case of a rear collision which is supposed to help with some neck injuries, and that system looks heavy.

These seats are also bigger than the Insight seats in every dimension. You sit higher and a hair farther forward. The driver seat also has height adjustment which undoubtedly adds weight, but could improve ergonomics for some drivers.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In what unit was your scale measuring in?

4915.8 is a bizarre number. Doesn't make sense in ounces (307.24 LB) or grams (10.84 LB).
49 lb 15.8 oz

Any way to cut out, say, 15 or 20 pounds from each seat somehow? I've seen a set or two around but the weight has kept me from moving forward. Plus I don't find the stock seats to be that uncomfortable, but I like the look of the CRZ seats.
I'd say, don't worry about it. If you do want to squeeze every last mpg, then you should remove the passenger side when you drive alone.

Stock seats weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts