Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just got a 2013 Insight LX last Sunday and I'm absolutely loving it!

The only thing was the dealer wanted $900 to install the alarm system >_>

Have any of you installed a custom alarm solution yourselves or had one done professionally? I've installed a stereo before, matching the individual wires, and that's the extent of my car electrical experience. Do you think I would be able to install an alarm myself with my limited experience?

And one final, but very important question: are there alarms I can buy with a custom alarm sounds like say.. The starship Voyager's red alert sound? :-D

Anyway, I'm really happy with my purchase, I honestly don't think I couldn't found a better car! I look forward to what you guys (and gals) have tried :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Wow, thats a lot for an alarm. Is it the optional Honda one or aftermarket? You can go to best buy or your local pimp my ride store that does window tinting, stereos and such for an alarm. Many include free installation.

It depends on the alarm. Some alarms are plug n play, some are universal and require you to hack wires in the car. Id suggest reviewing installation guides to see if you are up to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was was the optional Honda alarm

They offered to keep the dealer's alarm installed for $900 dollars; but I declined. It seemed way to steep for an alarm system. I didn't know best buy would install it as well, I'll have to call mine and see what they charge. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I dont think you can remove the stock honda alarm. You can just disable it. My local pmp my ride store charges 250 for a viper alarm and 500 for the same with remote start. They include installation.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't think the LX comes with a factory alarm. I hate dealers that install **** and then expect you to pay for it. I once made a dealer remove pin stripping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies! Props on making them remove the pin stripes hahaha

I'm not getting the alarm so much for theft prevention but rather as a vandalism alert. LA drives tend to use their ****ty old cars to nudge their way into parking spaces and thugs like to key cars, etc. I'll call around and see what I can get in my area.

I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Get it elsewhere. I didn't see the '$900' alarm install when I was signing contract when purchasing the vehicle back in 2010. The $900 only install an aftermarket shock sensor by Automate, at most would cost $200 w/ install elsewhere. You're better off finding another place to get an alarm and possibly an a lot better one than the dealer options.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wait a second, the 2nd gen insight doesnt come with am alarm?!?!?! Mines has what looks like a generic honda 3 button key fob to lock, unlock doors and panic. When I lock my car there is a red light that blinks on the dash. If I lock my doors and am inside and go to exit I set off the alarm which blinks the lights and honks the horn.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I know for the FIT you can get a remote start module.

When the Insight was first listed for sale they use to list an upgrade to the alarm on the accessory list as well as a bug deflector for the hood, but both of those vanished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope it wasn't standard on my 2013 LX. It has the blinking red light, but testing the locked handle or knocking on the car doesn't set of an alarm.

They specifically asked me if I wanted to keep the alarm system but when they mentioned the price it was a definite no lol

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, the dealer add ons are expensive. Its all high markup to catch you at your most vulnerable moment. The toyota dealer I use to go to had a series of booths they sent you to and each one tried to sell you carpet protector, paint protector, window etching, extended warranty, life insurance, gap insurance and a few others. I was wise to it the second time and screwed with them.

Honestly they could upsell you at cheaper than best buy or other places and still turn a profit. Window tinting is one some do and charge you a fair price and its cheap to do. Likewise the paint or carpet protection. I buy 2 cars of scotch guard and treat my stuff. The paint protector they use the automatic car wash most dealers seem to have for no reason. :D

Oh,you want just a basic alarm like that? Those go cheap on ebay and most auto stores for under 100 bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wait a second, the 2nd gen insight doesnt come with am alarm?!?!?! Mines has what looks like a generic honda 3 button key fob to lock, unlock doors and panic. When I lock my car there is a red light that blinks on the dash. If I lock my doors and am inside and go to exit I set off the alarm which blinks the lights and honks the horn.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I know for the FIT you can get a remote start module.

When the Insight was first listed for sale they use to list an upgrade to the alarm on the accessory list as well as a bug deflector for the hood, but both of those vanished.
None of the Insight comes with an alarm. The 'red light' that blinks is just anti-theft. It's similar to an alarm but not quite since it does not have shock sensors, etc.

Honda Insight comes with Keyless Access w/ Anti-Theft.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The blinking light on the LX is probably the one on the radio. The "alarm" that comes on the EX is
Just an entry alarm, going off when a door is opened. The alarm blinking light is in the instrument
cluster.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I called some local best buys and it seems like they offer the Viper systems starting at 200 for the alarm and more expensive models with the two way thing where your key fob vibrates when your alarm goes off. It's more expensive than the independent shops but my friend and gf had bad results from going there which makes me lean toward going to best buy.

I'll probably decide by end of the week and let you all know how it turns out. :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Use to best buy had a bad rap for doing installs,but I think they fixed that through better training. My local pimp my ride shop charges 250 for an alarm and install 500 for an alarm, install and remote start. Not sure if that is for all models or there is an up charge for the pager feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK! So final verdict - I'm not gonna get anything. egads was right, the blinking light is the entry alarm; if the door is opened while the alarm is engaged it goes off, so there's really no reason to pay for a second alarm so I won't.

I did go to best buy, and the mechanic told me that he could install a second alarm system side-by-side with the build in Honda system, but I declined. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Shock sensor might be useful as an addition to the factory

·
Registered
831 Posts
Has any member had a problem with an Insight being stolen or broken into? I know it's a Honda, and they have been popular targets, but and Insight?

Just wondering. Glad to hear no money was spent on the alarm system.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts