Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have not been on the forums for some time as the autoguide free app only crashes for me. Since the last time I was on the forum, I have added a custom cold air intake. I basically rerouted the intake to the front of the grill. I cut out the fins that direct air in to the engine bay. Then, I used a 3 inch diameter (maybe four inch) semi rigid dryer vent and some twist ties to attach the intake to the grill where the fins used to be.

The air intake temperatures so far have been within five to ten degrees of ambient air temp. I have noticed a significant increase in pick up and acceleration. Also, I got the best half gas tank of the winter after I installed the intake.

More pics to come!

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Redneck "Forced Induction". Beware..... mice will soon be sleeping in the air cleaner.

Willie

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
😆 That is a good point, Willie. I thought about adding a screen into the line to keep out creepy crawlies and leaves. With the large 90 degree bend in the intake, I sometimes doubt whether or not the air really gets "forced" into the engine. Also, the hood closes on the hosing slightly but not enough to restrict flow.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
"Experimentation is the father of invention."
A good screen is probably an old fashioned "flour sifter". The hand held type.

Good Luck
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, I dont use auto guide either. I had a nexus 7 and the droid app was horrible in relation to the ios one.

It could use some work, but its a good start. Our engine loves cold moist air. :D I was actually going to bite the bullet and just drill a hole in the hood and mount a fake hood scoop I make a hole in to funnel air into the hole cut, then use a dryer vent.

So you went around hte radiator/condensor and made a hole in the rubber air diver? I know the crz has a cai that goes down below the battery and between the head light and front bumper area to get cold air.

Now you need one of these.

3 5" Alloy RAM Pipe Air Inlet Intake Funnel Trumpet Duct Blue USA Seller | eBay

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As of now the intake is more for functionality than for looks. Concerning the aesthetics, it leaves something to be desired. I have attached pic of where it runs to/from.

I don't see how the blue funnel would increase throughput of air into the intake. Rather, I think it will only restrict flow, while looking stylish. 😄

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. Yeah the showroom of a salvaged vehicle lot 😁 It sure has character. Once I have some money, I can try to make her look better. We tend to prefer the Franken-Insight look, don't we? 😷

1 - 8 of 8 Posts