Honda Insight Forum banner

Custom Rear Speaker Mounts

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  GLG 
#1 ·
I was asked by a member of the Facebook Insight group about the rings to mount the rear speakers so I made this mockup last night. It seems to fit first try, but does anyone with more knowledge of these parts have suggestions for improvements? Are there different mounting patterns with different speakers? Do people trim the original parts for any reason? Is there a specific area that easily breaks? Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
At the suggestion of another member, increased the diameter of the cavity to 6.9" and added standard mounting holes for 6.5" and 6.75" speakers. I will be designing two variants - A standard, and a deep version.
Camera accessory Carbon Composite material Cameras & optics Circle

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Nice work. Will the deep version fit inside of the door? If so I know what my next project will be!
Thanks,
Vic
The door doesn't need the ring mount. This is designed for the optional rear speakers behind the seats. I can 3D scan the door next and design an adapter ring if that's what you're after. I think the center has to be cut out behind the speaker to fit larger speakers.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
AfterEffect. Would it be possible to 3D scan the cluster bezel? I understand it's a large piece, but they are getting broken more and more now, and not to mention unobtanium in the junkyard because everyone breaks them there as well.

[Edit]: Even if, as of right now, nobody has the ability to print it, at least the information will be out there and accessable in the future.
I'd be happy to scan pne but I'm hesitant to remove my own and risk breaking it. My Insight is my daily driver, and I have few extra parts. I'm in the Seattle WA area, and if there is someone that would allow me to borrow one for a day I would gladly scan it. Otherwise I can look for one the next time an Insight comes up in a local wrecking yard.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I should also mention that larger objects are actually easier to scan. The scanner doesn't do well with smaller, more complex items so that trim piece is a good use-case. Printing it would be time consuming but not impossible. Probably 3-4 days of solid print time for something of that size. Of course there is also the design work needed to take a scan and rebuild it into a usable piece.

An alternative would be to take a good piece and cast it in urethane resin. It would be several hundred dollars in materials to make a fiberglass and silicone mold and pull castings from that though. Could you send some detailed photos of the part?

Edit: Image of a scanned door panel requested by another user as another example of scanning a larger piece. I oversimplified this mesh, so it could be better.
Blue Azure Automotive design Aqua Font

Discussion starter · #12 ·
If 3D scanning is happening, I BEG somebody to do the sail panels. They snap on/off easily, are the parts above the door panels, front of the windows, black plastic parts. I really want to print some with tweeter pods built-in. :)
I'm happy to scan pretty much any part for other Insight owners. The more I think about it, it could be a good way to "catalog" parts that will eventually be unobtainable. Do you have the skills to use a rough scanned mesh and convert/modify it into a solid/printable file?

Discussion starter · #16 ·
whoa thats awesome. id need a set. i was about to pay someone $150 for oem ones.
and the fact you can make them fit bigger speakers is a big plus. but wonder how they fit since behind the passenger side the ducting for the battery is there.
That's insane, is that how much those are worth now?

I can design a cutout in the ring to avoid the ducting on the passenger side, however I'm not sure what speakers would fit. I will be getting some additional clearance by making the bezel slightly larger and pushing the whole trim ring forwards, so it will stick out further from the panel. Knowing what speakers people want to use/are using would be helpful.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
crutchfield.com does a good job of fitment verification.
I'll check them out. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I'd like to design these for as wide an audience as possible.

I would lvoe to see some buckets to mount the front speakers to the door, rather than the rattling door panel that kills all the bass and midrange response.
There are three screws right around that area, so cutting out that part of the door panel and designing a mount that attaches directly to the door would be relatively simple. Before I go off on another tangent I need to finish these rear mounts and my double DIN project though.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I'm taking a step back from this project to focus on the double-DIN console design. As promised, here is the file for the mounting rings. This is a nearly direct copy of the OEM piece, and has no modifications for deeper speakers etc (yet). I plan to revisit this once my console is finished.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Do I drill additional holes in the OEM speakers? Do I search for the non-existent 2002 OEM grey rear trim kit? I saw the trim kit may exist for 2004 but only in tan, not grey. Or, do I get something fabricated or very close that looks good.

Are you selling these?
I have uploaded the model with 4 mounting holes to the Thingiverse page. It may take a few minutes to update. Insight 00-06 Speaker Ring by TinkerGear

I would consider printing and selling these if there is interest, or potentially casting modified copies of originals in urethane. Otherwise, if you have access to a 3D printer you're welcome to print your own for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.