Honda Insight Forum banner

361 - 365 of 365 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
The engine had oil in it, and it looked basically brand new. I still replaced it, though. The engine cranks fine by hand, and the IMA system was able to spin the engine without issue (spark plug coils disconnected to prevent ICE from running itself). Unfortunately the radiator drain plug is missing, so I'm not able to refill the cooling system, and therefore I've yet to run the engine on gas.

An enterprising rodent cached a bunch of seeds in the air filter:


The ground straps visually looked ok, and electrically handled 50 amps with less than 500 mV across straps (good):


Peering through the valves... no rust and seems like everything is still lubricated. There's a balled up piece of tape that needs to be removed, so I'll remove the valve cover and inspect for (and remove) any other debris:


No other updates for now... haven't touched the car in two days.
 

·
Linsight Designer
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
Cars & Coffee sounds fun... I'm avoiding mass gatherings for the time being, though, so I'll pass for now. Also when I do bring Sawbite to Nashville it will be during the week, since govt only operates Monday through Friday.
 

·
Linsight Designer
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
I find myself working on Sawbite again, sooner than I had inspected. Today I took the engine apart as much as I'm going to and then started rebuilding it all together:

The stated goal is to clean all the accumulated debris off the engine, so that it sparkles and shines.

...

I also ended up cleaning out a bunch of oddities that had found their way into the valve bay. I'm fairly certain a wad of masking tape fell into the valves while the oil cap was removed... which then dissolved into a goopy mess (having spent 20 years in an oil bath). That was fun to clean out of the valve bay's nooks and crannies. The valve bay is in immaculate condition:



I also cut the welds and removed the hexagonal bumper piece, and then replaced it with an uncut part that Ati Kovi sent me last month. This took entirely too long, as there were six different welded joints on each part (twelve total joints were cut):

At this point all required body modifications are complete (to pass TN's roadworthiness recertification).

...

I left the R&D wire splices on the throttle position sensor. FYI: These splices are connected to ground and sensor output (i.e. throttle position via a potentiometer):

I have no idea who added them, but I like to think either Honda or the Canadian government used Sawbite to gather real-world data. This theory made a lot more sense when we thought this was actual MY2000 G1#1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Can’t wait to hear it run for the first time! You’re on the final stretch... Good job!
 
361 - 365 of 365 Posts
Top