Registered
1,848 Posts
Three thumbs up!! (y)(y)(y)
Great work.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
315 Posts
Bravo! 'Twas patience and per-sev'-rance, T'made the Bishop of His Reverence.

·
Super Moderator
8,557 Posts
Great! Have a good trip. You are going to get lots of attention - hope it isn't from the wrong folks ;)

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
313 Posts
mudder, Let me know what day you plan to take it to Lane's. We can caravan from Chattanooga to Nashville, or from Exit 76-78 to Lane's. I think Atheos was also interested too.

Reactions: Atheos

·
Linsight Designer
1,970 Posts
I'll post here once I have a date... still waiting on paperwork from TN so I can register it. State documentation says "5 business days" but it's been more than twice that by now... I suspect Covid is to blame. No rush, this entire project is moving glacially but eventually it will happen.

·
Linsight Designer
1,970 Posts
Alright, finally heard back from Tennessee's Titling department... bad news all around:
Despite what TN State law says, they've denied issuing the rebuilt title for Sawbite due to his previous Ontarian irreparable title. Further, TN will not return the out-of-state title I already had, as they've deemed it "improperly issued". They've offered to issue a "Non-repairable certificate," which permanently prevents the vehicle from being titled or registered in TN. So that sucks.

I'm going to fight this, as TN state law provides a specific process for rebuilding vehicles previously deemed a total loss. I've followed this process, and yet they're still saying no.

If that doesn't work out, I'll register Sawbite as an All-terrain vehicle. Per TN55-8-101(1)(B), the only requirements for registering a vehicle as an ATV are:
-must have four or six non-highway tires, and;
-the engine must displace less than 1,000 cc, and;
-the dry weight must be less than 2,000 pounds.

Then, according to TN55-8-203, Sawbite can operate on "county roads" (as defined in 54-10-103), which basically means he can drive on all roads except for state and federal highways, with some exceptions.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,959 Posts
Way to go!. There are more than one way to beat the system.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What a fiasco!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not returning the title, though. Pretty nasty of them!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If that doesn't work out, I'll register Sawbite as an All-terrain vehicle. Per TN55-8-101(1)(B), the only requirements for registering a vehicle as an ATV are:
-must have four or six non-highway tires, and;
-the engine must displace less than 1,000 cc, and;
-the dry weight must be less than 2,000 pounds.

Then, according to TN55-8-203, Sawbite can operate on "county roads" (as defined in 54-10-103), which basically means he can drive on all roads except for state and federal highways, with some exceptions.
Get 4 of the yellow spare wheels for your "ATV".

Keep the original wheels for "souvenirs".

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
315 Posts
What right do they have to retain the title? The title is your property, no?

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Can you apply for a "lost title" from the state that issued it?

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,959 Posts
What "non-highway tires" are you going o use?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Wild how the Insight fits the bill for almost all the ATV requirements!

·
Linsight Designer
1,970 Posts
Yeah except for the tires it's a shoe-in... I'm sure I can find some low tread 14" off-road tires.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
618 Posts
Interesting loophole! Michigan is a lot more thorough - off road vehicles / atvs can only be operated on private property and roads, and must be licensed for on road use to drive on public roads. To drive an off road vehicle on public roads it needs to be modified for on road use and/or have part specs for all the parts of the vehicle, with the parts not being made by a major car manufacturer.

Off road tires - time to put 100 PSI in those spare tires! 😁 lol

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
278 Posts
Rally tires!

·
Linsight Designer
1,970 Posts
You'd think I'd know more about compatible off-roading tires... considering I've had that monster truck IMA bypass mod out for years now ;).

381 - 400 of 436 Posts