Honda Insight Forum banner

401 - 420 of 439 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
1,972 Posts
100% confirmed: TN won't be issuing Sawbite a roadworthy title, and won't be returning the old one either (as previously mentioned, they will issue a title of ownership, but it's not street legal so it's useless).

So instead, at some point I'll throw some off-roading tires on her and pay the (one-time) $5 registration fee to register Sawbite as an off-road vehicle. It'll then be legal to drive anywhere in TN - except highways - as long as I maintain proof of liability insurance, which for an off-road vehicle is less than $90/year. Even better, I will never have to pay registraion again, and won't need an inspection, either. The really fun part is that I won't have license plates... in fact, I can't legally place ANY license plate on Sawbite, since it'll be an off-road vehicle (that somehow is legal to drive on roads). Instead, there's a proof of registration sticker that is placed on the "frame or body of the vehicle," which to me means it'll be underneath the car.

I'm fairly certain the law states the operator must wear a helmet while driving an ATV on roads, which will just add to the humor.

(Poorly written) laws can't stop this clown car... honk honk!

·
Registered
335 Posts
100% confirmed: TN won't be issuing Sawbite a roadworthy title, and won't be returning the old one either (as previously mentioned, they will issue a title of ownership, but it's not street legal so it's useless).

So instead, at some point I'll throw some off-roading tires on her and pay the (one-time) $5 registration fee to register Sawbite as an off-road vehicle. It'll then be legal to drive anywhere in TN - except highways - as long as I maintain proof of liability insurance, which for an off-road vehicle is less than $90/year. Even better, I will never have to pay registraion again, and won't need an inspection, either. The really fun part is that I won't have license plates... in fact, I can't legally place ANY license plate on Sawbite, since it'll be an off-road vehicle (that somehow is legal to drive on roads). Instead, there's a proof of registration sticker that is placed on the "frame or body of the vehicle," which to me means it'll be underneath the car.

I'm fairly certain the law states the operator must wear a helmet while driving an ATV on roads, which will just add to the humor.

(Poorly written) laws can't stop this clown car... honk honk!
Too bad it couldn’t be given a Hobbyist plate.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,066 Posts
Mudder, have you considered doing the Vermont loophole for this car?

·
Linsight Designer
1,972 Posts
Mudder, have you considered doing the Vermont loophole for this car?
Interesting... I'd never heard of this. Note that despite what the various anecdotal accounts say, Vermont state law now requires you to be a resident to apply for a title using the "Vermont Loophole" process.

Specifically, this page states that you must submit VT-025. That form states "I CERTIFY that at the time of this request I am a Vermont resident." The penalty for falsifying this document is:
1) Fine not more than $1000, and;
2) Imprisonment not more than 2 years, and;
3) Lost driving privilege for 90 days.

I've poked too many hornets nest in my life without getting stung... I'm not going to implicate myself for this car...

...so I'm offering to sell this vehicle to a trustworthy Vermont resident for $1. I do not have the title, but will write you an epic bill of sale. I'll even offer my services to fill out the paperwork to title Sawbite in Vermont, in your name. In addition, I'll cover all registration fees, taxes, and any other costs incurred during the registration process. Once you have finished the registration process, I'll purchase the car back from you for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
618 Posts
"Vermont resident" - move to Vermont for a weekend :LOL:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm willing to help. Since Vermont doesn't issue titles on older vehicles, when you go to formalize the sale, you have to get plates and registration for the vehicle, and taxes are paid based on the estimated value, not the sale value (so, not 6% of $1). I'm not certain if I'd have to plate, register and pay taxes on the car before selling it back to you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What are you filling the garage space with?

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,066 Posts
Good news: Just talked to Jeff (Director of Lane Motor Museum)... he's agreed to take Sawbite as-is. I'm beyond excited to get it out of my garage.
Let me know when you're ready to do the parade route to Lane's.

·
Linsight Designer
1,972 Posts
Update: I'm driving Sawbite up to the Lane Motor Museum November 11. I'll be leaving Chattanooga at 9:30AM CT, estimated arrival at Lane Motor Museum is 12:00 noon. Anyone interested in caravanning (from Chattanooga) or meeting in Nashville is welcome to... send me a PM if I don't already have your number.

Edit: This is weather-dependent. It's looking like Wednesday is going to be wet wet... so probably thursday.

·
Linsight Designer
1,972 Posts
Alright, it's last minute: I'm dropping Sawbite off at Lane Motor Museum today (NOV09) between 4 & 5 pm CT... car is loaded on the trailer and I'm taking off from 37409 in five minutes.

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
313 Posts
Here waiting on the Cutaway Insight to be delivered!
20201109_154910.jpg

401 - 420 of 439 Posts