Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished dismantling all the bolt on parts from my totalled out Insight (was struck from behind by a driver that had a seizure). Sent my son the picture and his immediate reply was all she needs now is a pole : ). Still have to figure out how to cut the body apart now for recycling. I saw a thread on that several years ago, but have not found it back yet. Anyone have a link to that post?

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tim

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Two people can lift it onto a trailer.

Just take it down to your local metals scrapyard recycling place and tell them it's aluminium.
Should get $100+ for it.

That's what I've done with a couple of G1 cars now.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
I can't find the thread, but a while back a member was scrapping cars by cutting them up - into quarters I believe. It is fairly easy to cut the car end-to-end, since you avoid most frame members. Then he cut it transversely at the doors, which involves cutting only one major frame rail, iirc. I'm assuming you have a SawsAll.

Peter's way is better if you can get a scrap dealer to take it. I haven't been able to get one to do so here. Seems they will take "parts" but not whole chassis.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find the thread, but a while back a member was scrapping cars by cutting them up - into quarters I believe. It is fairly easy to cut the car end-to-end, since you avoid most frame members. Then he cut it transversely at the doors, which involves cutting only one major frame rail, iirc. I'm assuming you have a SawsAll.

Peter's way is better if you can get a scrap dealer to take it. I haven't been able to get one to do so here. Seems they will take "parts" but not whole chassis.
Thank you Jim,

I like the idea of end to end, then transverse. I was curious how to deal with the frame members. These cars may be light, but they are built very well.

I do have a sawzall, and just bought a 9" thin metal blade for it. Was trying to figure out how to properly support it during the "surgery". I also wanted to be able to load it in the back of my pickup for its trip to the scrap dealer.

Tim

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again Jim for your advice. Being that I had no help today, I studied it for a bit, then set concrete blocks strategically underneath the body for support. I then cut the windshield posts and cut across the body to separate the front half, which settled nicely on the supports. I then split the front half into two pieces. A pleasant surprise awaited me on the base of the firewall. I thought my saw blade had gone bad at first, but then after finishing realized there is a stout support running crossways at the base of the firewall. Will finish the job on the back half another day, got family coming now for a get-together.
Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Good pictures Tim. Appreciate them. Though I have read about doing this, I haven't done it personally. On my list for after InsightFest because I want my garage space back(y)

May I have your permission to change the title so that it will respond better to searches? I think it is a valuable addition to the archive and the other guy's work obviously doesn't respond to any search terms I can think of.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
By all means, please feel free to change the title to whatever you think it should be. I am happy that you liked it. Was just being silly with the first title, but was also asking if anyone else knew about where to find information on cutting the car apart..

Take care,
TIm

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Interesting about the internal firewall base strengthening member.
Now it's in pieces you should be able to do 50 reps no problem. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back in the 80s I bought a wrecked 70's Honda Civic to swap out the engine for mine that had thrown a rod. After I pulled the engine and other parts I could use, the carcass sat in my driveway for several weeks until some guy driving by pulled over and asked me what I was doing with it. When I told him I was going to have to haul it to the dump/junkyard but I didn't have a trailer. He said he would like it to make a motorcycle trailer from and when I asked if he had a trailer to pick it up on he said "no I can take it now" and went back to his pickup and brought out a hand-axe (the small axe, half again larger than a hatchet) and proceeded to cut the front off of the back almost trivially and we were able to lift the halves into his pickup, stacked askew. This was steel rather than aluminum! Decades later I remembered that lesson and did the same with a CRX body I had leftover from a EV-donor project. I did mine with a splitting maul which was actually somewhat easier if not elegant.

I had heard the aluminum content of the body was worth a bit more than $100 but stripping it down beats having it added to a big crushed cube of steel, probably only causing problems down the line.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Please update where you end up scrapping it at and how much it scraps for. I have a donor car that will meet the same fate one day. That info would be handy to know. Thanks for the info and pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
TopFuelTim
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing