Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2001 CVT for about 10 months now in So Calif. and have averaged 50mpg for pure stop/start around town and 56mpg for pure freeway driving. Even at this mpg I still loved this car. My oil changes were at the dealer because of no time to do myself. Last oil change at dealer cost 139.00 & they didn't even use synthetic oil.

So I decided to make the time to do it myself and this is what I changed:

Mobil 1 syn 0W-20 (Wal-mart)
oil filter SuperTech (Wal-mart)
new 12 volt battery (honda replacement)
45 psi all tires

result from these 3 items: 3 hour trip on freeway with one hill (sepulveda pass) 68.5mpg. Drive speed was 65-70mph.
around town: 62mpg

I'm very HAPPY :D remember this is a CVT!!

I bought a new air filter from Honda today and plan to put in tomorrow (old one is black with gook) I wonder if the dealer ever changed it? we went through the fires here in So Cal and thats what the filter looks like!

I don't understand how the old 12 volt battery could have been hurting the mpg, but when it was tested, it was supposedly at 85 percent. I don't know if it had a bad cell or not?

I thank everyone who writes in to the forums for this Fantastic MPG Change!!! cause thats where I got my info.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Its a theory but if the 12volt battery has a low voltage the computer senses this as it needs charging. As a result the DC to DC converter is running more frequently to charge the 12volt battery. The 144volt pack will then need more hidden charging from the gas engine. This increased load on the engine would then keep you from getting lean burn as often. I put a hawker battery in last year and its voltage is low so I might be changing mine as well. I can measure the 12volt system but not the 144volt system so I can prove none of the above but I do see more frequent 13.8 volt readings than I did a year ago. (If the headlights are on it stays at 13.8 volts whereas last year I would see it cycle. Have fun, RIck

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cjames:

___Congrats and I am glad you looked into and used the Mobil1 0W-20 Synthetic and a SuperTech filter. Pressure in the Bridgestone’s is probably the number 1 item on the list of fuel economy tips/tricks …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:eek:yv3kdk4][email protected][/email:eek:yv3kdk4]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I agree with your theory, Rick. Except, of course, CVT's do not have lean burn to their advantage. Billy.....

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
A bad 12 volt battery will put a load on the hybrid system. The more efficiently the car is driven the more this drain will reduce your mileage. Small details like driving in the rain can drop my mileage by 5 MPG so I imagine that trying to charge a bad battery continuously would do the same. Synthetic is good for 1 or 2 MPG from what I've heard. I agree with Xcel that the tires probably made a big difference.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
cjames said:
Last oil change at dealer cost 139.00 & they didn't even use synthetic oil

You're kidding right? OMG $139 just to change the oil? Just another reason why I do oil changes myself.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
My Honda dealer says oil change, drain plug gasket, oil filter, fluid checks. and inspection of various things is $18.88, which is more reasonable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Similar results...

My 2001 CVT had 31,200 miles when I got it and an LMPG of 51.7. Now, after 9,000 miles, my "Personal" LMPG is 59.6 and the LMPG is up to 53.3. I don't know what kind of oil was in it before, but I switched to Mobil 1 0W20. I also cleaned the EGR Valve and Fuel Injectors, and put in a K&N Filter. And I run 45 psi.

The air pressure may be #1 but I'm sure the M1 0W20 helps as well 8)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Heard the SuperTech filters are made by champion labs? Is that true? I'm still finding it hard to believe that WalMart stpres are selling these rebranded filters for under 2 bucks! From what I've read, they're supposed to be pretty good in quality. Dunno how it compares to the Honda OEM Toyo Roki ones though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CVT mileage

I must have a killer stop and go (20-30mph)4 mile commute. I get 45mpg, but did get 52 on a 35-55mph 20 mile drive the other day. Hubby tends to do a bit better than me. We both love the car. It has about 24K miles and just had an oil change at a Honda dealer before we bought it. I plan to use the Mobil synthetic at the next oil change. Should I get them to check the small battery if it needs changing as well. Should I ask them to clean the EGR valve? I have raised my tire pressure up to about 44-46. We have filled it up with premium gas, but have only needed to add about 5 gal since we have had it.

I want to get info on how to drive it efficiently as well. From what I have read, it is best to use the assist to get it up to speed, then try to coast some. Is that strategy correct?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Flora, don't be concearned about the mileage. Most likely what is affecting your mileage is your short commute. The engine is just getting warmed up by 4 miles. Of course this would apply to any car you might own not just an Insight. I had a car in the 70s that got 7 miles to the Imperial gallon on a 3 mile commute. :shock: In the summer I walked!

Synthetic oil will probably help you more than most people due to its excellent startup lubricating abilities. I wouldn't waste money on high test gas as the Insight is really happy with regular. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks for the tips. this was encouraging. i have a few questions though.

"around town: 62mpg "

in a cvt? how many stopslights/stop signs/ turns are we talking? was it a downhill "around town" cruize? you sure you weren't getting a little help from the wind? :) this to me seems _slightly_ exaggerated... or just darn lucky. I'd be curious to know if this is a trend that has continued for you or if it was a one time score for you. I'd love to hear a follow-up.

In addition.. I'm left to wonder... what downhill-windless city that doesn't have traffic lights was the EPA driving in when they got 57 mpg?!?!? I love my insight, dont get me wrong but i feel i've been mislead by these figures. especially considering the fact that the 57 the epa reports for in city driving was scored (supposedly) with honda's recomended tire inflation. 10 psi less than im at now. temperatures in milwaukee (where i live) have been between 30-60 degrees in the past month.. am i in for a major turn around once temperatures stablize around 70-80? I'm averaging just around 52 mpg around the city right now and the temps have been hanging in the mid 40s.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
robgobbler said:
... what downhill-windless city that doesn't have traffic lights was the EPA driving in when they got 57 mpg?!?!?
Tests are done by the manufacturer and submitted to EPA (which checks up on a fraction of them). It's done using a test cycle -- a specification of variable speeds over time including stops. Results are then reduced by 10% (city) and 22% (highway) to better fit real-world driving. More info:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#estimates

YMMV!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the link Tim. Now I understand why we get in the low 50s around town so often.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It can be done...

I've recently taken a repetitive ~17 mile-one-way commute from west Plano to east Garland (Dallas suburbs) to visit a client. Nice chance to try out the scientific method of determining best driving practices over a three week period... Lots of modest rises, from 665 ft above sea level to about 510 ft. No highway driving except for a brief (3 miles) jaunt on I75 at top speed ~70mph, less than 4 miles from the house so engine is barely up to 6 bars temp when I speed up to cruise for three miles. After that, max speeds range from 40-50 mph (residential neighborhoods), and if I time the lights right, and hit them green (or have a "rolling stop," with no auto stop kicking in), with no cruise use, using Honda oil, 50 pounds in each tire, A/C on Econ (never turn it off), neighborhood privacy brick fences and little "flat land" exposure eliminating or ameliorating wind effects... I have repeatedly averaged 62-66 mpg for the segment, round trip :lol: . Temps from high 30s to mid 70s, only a couple rainy days. All altitude and max speed stats from GPS data, distance from the dash display. If I hid those darn red lights, though, my best dips to the high 50s... :cry:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I disagree with the acceleration strategy

This site says to use full throttle acceleration as a way to maximize fuel effiency - I think the opposite is true. When your batteries are fully charged, your car will roll *much* further because it isn't recharging the batteries. You can then "pulse" your car much more effectively. When my batteries are full, I get more than 70 mpg easily. I use the accelerator sparingly, and usually the electric assist only when accelerating from a dead stop and when getting on the freeway, and mostly because I can't help it. The best regenerative charging systems are only 15-20% efficent. By only using the assist when absolutely needed, and therefore minimizing the inefficent charging cycle, I get 57mpg routinely with a mix of city and highway driving (at 75mph), with a CVT - only mod being 45 psi on each tire. And I drive up and down a 5000 ft. mountain almost every day.

I own several pure EV's without regen braking systems - usually, the added weight of the regen system takes away the benefit because they are so inefficient.

I take the perspective that the purpose of the batteries is to give the gas engine a boost only when the 60hp would be absolutely intolerable or unsafe.

Seth

02 CVT 34000 miles, 57.1 lmpg

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Seth:

___I know Rick Reese doesn’t use the full throttle 1-2-5 method in his 5-speed. I know Chisight doesn’t use that method and I don’t either. I wonder what Billy uses? Just slow and steady acceleration up through the gears with a maximum 4 bars in second or third. Maybe the numbers speak for themselves although the 3 of us are almost entirely highway only 5-speed drivers. You have to get to the highways somehow however? The best I have done in that regard was 86mpg for the 2.2 miles from work’s parking lot to the Interstate on an unusually warm 80 degree day. Usually, I hit the Interstate at ~ 60 mpg in temps from 0 - 50 as that is mostly what I have driven her in since I purchased her. This is recorded with a segment reset just before I start up the car and heading on my merry way home or to work.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2q3ghk2w][email protected][/email:2q3ghk2w]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Wayne and Seth; I accelerate slow and very steady. I believe a case could be made, mathematically, that a full throttle method would use more fuel, slightly.....Billy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts