Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,154 Posts
figgy said:
p.s. For $139.95 they do the Minor Maintenance Service for 22500 37500 52500 miles.

The other maintenance stuff is usually just checking things like fluids. Certainly not worth the $140. Buy a set of manuals and check them yourself. You will get to understand your car more that way.

· Registered
1 Posts
MPG

I just have two questions. I bought a 2001 Honda Insight and installed the CD changer in the back and added two speakers to the existing two.

Does that make it as good as the new 4 speaker standard....Is t he new Insight gifted with more watts of music power?

Also, did I make a mistake getting CVT. I see here all the advantages of the 5 speed. Or maybe I'd be sick of shifting?

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 5 speed but other than the sporty feel of shifting and somewhat improved mileage I don't see an advantage. If you drive in traffic you will appreciate the automatic as it allows you to concentrate on driving. (SUV avoidance)

The new Insight has a built in CD player but no changer. There is nothing wrong with the "radio" in the Insight but the factory supplied speakers are just awful. I have a 2002. I have not heard that the 2004 speakers are any better. I upgraded the speakers but kept the OEM reciever as it has phenominal reception in "fringe" areas.

· Registered
94 Posts
I wouldn't buy another cvt unless they added lean burn to those models. We're at a huge mpg disadvantage, especially those of us that mostly travel on the highways.

It's extremely difficult for me to maintain over a 60mpg average in the NJ summers. Many here with the 5 speeds have LMPG of over 80mpg.

If you don't care about mpg that much then you'll probably be happier with the cvt.

· Registered
136 Posts
I recently bought a 2001 CVT because....it was what i could afford.
I have always driven manual, and still keep stomping on the floor, looking for the clutch.
I'm averaging about 50-55mpg on my 30 mile commute to work, which is mostly highway.
I learned that i can get higher mileage by keeping the fuel consumption pretty much constant--not accelerating to maintain speed to go up a hill, for example. This works with no traffic, but really annoys everyone elso on the road behind me.
There is a tip sheet for driving the 5 speed--how about one for the CVT?
:D

· Registered
1,154 Posts
It's a shame Honda made the CVT without lean burn in favor of a SULEV rating. I like the smooth transmission and not having a clutch foot but would like to see higher mpg. That is one reason why I am considering the new Prius. Don't get me wrong, I love my Insight but a bigger car with the same mileage numbers would be nice.

· Registered
136 Posts
bug_girl said:
I recently bought a 2001 CVT because....it was what i could afford.
I have always driven manual, and still keep stomping on the floor, looking for the clutch.
I'm averaging about 50-55mpg on my 30 mile commute to work, which is mostly highway.
An update: I increased my tire pressure to 40psi, and now average 57 mpg on my commute. Yay!
(and that includes running the AC occasionally.)

G

·
Hi Bug_Girl:

___I don’t remember if I had the pressures upped at the dealership or if it was down the street at a local gas station (I had a press gauge with me) but I know I didn’t drive it a mile before she saw 50 pounds and I haven’t looked back since ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3gvjmxp7][email protected][/email:3gvjmxp7]

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.