Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a problem are the CVTs in the Insights? It sounds like they do well for about 100k miles and then start to wear down afterward, with only Honda to provide $$$ replacements.

If you drive in the city more gently, will the CVT last longer?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
jat1793 said:
It sounds like they do well for about 100k miles and then start to wear down afterward
Where did you get the 100K number from? All parts start to wear down from day one of driving. I have only heard of one CVT belt that broke. I think that most problems are the juddering upon startup but most of those problems are fixed by changing the fluid. Also, Honda has specially designed fluid (released again) for the CVT that seems to fix some of the juddering. Besides the single broken belt that I recall, I can't remember anyone having a CVT that acutally broke down (not driveable).

As for driving more gently, when I take my foot of the brake and the car comes out of autostop (starts up again), I usually try to wait a split second before using the accelerator (instead of a jack rabbit start)...Time may tell if this makes the CVT last any longer than trying to start off immediately after you release the brake.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
366 Posts
109,000 miles here with no problems. I do get the 'judder' about every 25,000 miles, but I change the fluid and it goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
warranty fix of judder

Park Honda in Akron, OH just fixed my CVT with judder problem for free. 2003 Insight with 90000 miles. Fix involved putting in a "clutch kit". They also replaced a fastener for the fender skirt which I convinced them they lost while rotating tires at the last oil change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering because in my area there was a 2004 Honda Insight for sale with under 15k miles. ( :shock: :D :eek: )

There was finally time to see it the third day it had posted up. I called, and they said it was sold, "the other day."

The same thing happened with another low miles (40k)Insight in my area. It was up for four days I think. They're all sold in days, before I ever get a chance. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts